Graeme Shinnie

EraniosSocks

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree. Bradley Johnson did this very well for us last year, despite it not being his natural position. 

Will Cocu see that this is needed? Whether Shinnie has a future with us depends on the answer to that question.

I kept thinking he is doing everything I wanted from Johnson to do when we bought him. Always thought before we signed Johnson he was one of those horrible players that you hated on the other team, niggly fouling when needed, crunching challenges when needed, wasn't going to unlock defences but was competent enough on the ball. (I sometimes wonder if Johnson didn't have the season he had before he joined us what would have been.)

That was exactly what Shinnie did yesterday. Broke up play, some brilliant tackles, very good tactical foul for his yellow, used the ball sensibly. It was a very good performance, he just needs to follow it up now. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree. Bradley Johnson did this very well for us last year, despite it not being his natural position. 

Will Cocu see that this is needed? Whether Shinnie has a future with us depends on the answer to that question.

Bang on the money angieram and a very good example, yes the return of Mount had a big impact but Bradley gave that midfield a stability, bite, drive and much needed leadership, his ability to win the ball back on the ground and in the air allowed us to defend much higher up the park and stop teams running through us.

Im not claiming he was the answer to our prayers, but he was the only player in that midfield that could offer some of what we needed and allow the technical players to do their stuff knowing he would have their backs.

It took Lampard a good while to come to the same conclusion. I just hope Cocu doesn’t throw away the progress we have just stumbled upon!

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Apologies for picking up your post twice, but its made me think of John Eustace. A player who a portion of our fan base sneered at but he bought balance and footballing intelligence to the side, yes he was a limited player but he had the qualities our technical players lacked.

Despite the fans views of him he did very well for us knitting that fantastic side together until he was superseded by the absolute monster that was George Thorne!

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Apologies for picking up your post twice, but its made me think of John Eustace. A player who a portion of our fan base sneered at but he bought balance and footballing intelligence to the side, yes he was a limited player but he had the qualities our technical players lacked.

Despite the fans views of him he did very well for us knitting that fantastic side together until he was superseded by the absolute monster that was George Thorne!

Did they? I always thought John Eustace was pretty highly rated by the fans? I think most people could appreciate the work he did in keeping the game ticking over.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Did they? I always thought John Eustace was pretty highly rated by the fans? I think most people could appreciate the work he did in keeping the game ticking over.

After they saw the affect he had yes, but I distinctly remember people condemning the signing at first!

12 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Was about to say the same. I think most of the criticism he received was during his first spell here in 2009.

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

After they saw the affect he had yes, but I distinctly remember people condemning the signing at first!

The criticism was mainly during his loan spell with us. Once he'd signed permanently I don't recall there being much but there will always be some negative fans no matter who the player is.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The criticism was mainly during his loan spell with us. Once he'd signed permanently I don't recall there being much but there will always be some negative fans no matter who the player is.

Yep but his signing was not well taken at first until he’d proved himself, and that’s the point I was making. Some of our fans seem to have illusions of grandeur thinking the mounts and Hughes’ don’t need grafters to help them and it’s beneath us to have them in our side.

You see it now with Davies, best defender at the club by a distance, but a number of fans didnt want him in the team/wanted him replaced because he’s not as good as others at passing out from the back.

Sure it’s be great if he could stride out like Keogh, but he can’t, that said his passing isn’t as bad as many make out. His talent is marshaling that defence and leading them and he does it very well, especially given the fact that he’s come back from a big injury late in his career!

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

You see it now with Davies, best defender at the club by a distance, but a number of fans didnt want him in the team/wanted him replaced because he’s not as good as others at passing out from the back.

Off topic, but I didn't and I still don't want Curtis Davies at the back for us. Not because he's beneath us, but style of play is important. His passing isn't good enough.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Off topic, but I didn't and I still don't want Curtis Davies at the back for us. Not because he's beneath us, but style of play is important. His passing isn't good enough.

I’d disagree with but each to their own. I think he’s going to prove a very important player as long as he stays fit this season

So weird how you can bring a player in and he can seem utterly left out yet one performance can turn that all around.

As it was for Chris Martin so shall it be for Shinniesta (as they called him at Aberdeen).

It was under our noses all the time....

7 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Love his attitude.. Going to the manager to ask what he needs to do to improve and get a chance.. Just the type of model pro we need in there.. 

Dead right.

But perhaps the manger should have told him in the first place.

Enjoyed our first half performance so much more on Saturday because we had a midfield duo who were mobile and not afraid to actually tackle.

I joked that Shinnie made more tackles than Huddlestone had all season, but looking at the stats... Huddlestone averages 1.6 tackles a game, Shinnie made 7 successful tackles. So, as ridiculous as it was, it's not actually far off.

I maintain that what Huddlestone brings to the team is not a big enough positive for what we lose with him in it, and that showed itself in the very first game without him. No one likes to see players injured, but it's going to be a blessing in disguise,

On 05/10/2019 at 18:46, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

If I'm honest I've been slightly underwhelmed, especially given how decisive we were in getting him in. On reflection though, it's not really fair to expect players to hit their straps the moment they arrive and the lad's had limited chances to show what he's about.

Thought he was a class apart today and just might be exactly what we need to achieve a bit of balance in midfield. 

Obviously not a guy who's going to stand out in training to a continental manager - You watch Huddlestone in training and you think "wow, this guy is big and strong and his control and passing is out of this world" - You watch Shinnie and say "Well he's energetic and tidy and can tackle but where's that little bit extra?" - It's only when you get into an actual game scenario with bang-average but hardworking oppositions like the 3 we've played this week when you realise Huddlestone doesn't have the time on the ball he needs and the players around him to benefit from it - Yet Shinnie can provide cover, win the ball back for you, play lovely crisp short passes (and a few accurate long ones), link up with teammates and even beat a player - I loved Bryson and now love Shinnie - There's something about having a guy who does the simple things well as a foil for more creative players around them

Plus HE CAN TACKLE... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chuffing nora how we've missed that...

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Enjoyed our first half performance so much more on Saturday because we had a midfield duo who were mobile and not afraid to actually tackle.

I joked that Shinnie made more tackles than Huddlestone had all season, but looking at the stats... Huddlestone averages 1.6 tackles a game, Shinnie made 7 successful tackles. So, as ridiculous as it was, it's not actually far off.

I maintain that what Huddlestone brings to the team is not a big enough positive for what we lose with him in it, and that showed itself in the very first game without him. No one likes to see players injured, but it's going to be a blessing in disguise,

We absolutely need someone like him in the team ( which is why I have put him in most of my team selections) imagine someone winning the ball and giving it to Rooney and I also think he would enable players like Dowell to play to a much better effect - our midfield has been so wide open this season it’s been ridiculous and hopefully we can now compete in there. 

Archived