Graeme Shinnie

EraniosSocks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Great call by the OP here. Shinnie was absolutely magnificent today in that slightly more advanced CDM role, brought so much energy and desire. Couldn’t have seen it coming myself from his poor performances previously, but he really took his chance today. Got it spot on that he’d parter Bielik well too- both of them looked imperious today and stopped Luton cutting through us. Still think both together is a little negative at home myself, but for tough away games especially they look a good partnership.

Played like a central midfielder should do pure and simple and would be a good foil for Dowell to do a lot better but Holmes will never be a central midfielder because he just doesn’t do everything that is needed 

I guess the clue was that Lamps was so keen to sign him. Didn't he say he was his number 1 target and Lamps knows a thing or two about MF's. 

Think Cocu's natural preference is for footballing midfielders, technical players like Huddz, which probably explains why SHinnie has had to wait for his chance. Also, the Shinnie we saw today was a different beast to admittedly limited opportunities prior to now. He's always shown some energy and he won every challenge seemingly today but he is no clogger. He looks decent with the ball too and will have given Cocu plenty to think about.

Slightly off thread but likewise Paterson who is also starting to show really good form now he's getting more gametime. Some good sign all in all.

COYR

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I guess the clue was that Lamps was so keen to sign him. Didn't he say he was his number 1 target and Lamps knows a thing or two about MF's. 

Think Cocu's natural preference is for footballing midfielders, technical players like Huddz, which probably explains why SHinnie has had to wait for his chance. Also, the Shinnie we saw today was a different beast to admittedly limited opportunities prior to now. He's always shown some energy and he won every challenge seemingly today but he is no clogger. He looks decent with the ball too and will have given Cocu plenty to think about.

Slightly off thread but likewise Paterson who is also starting to show really good form now he's getting more gametime. Some good sign all in all.

COYR

I think you've nailed it.

But, Shinnie has to what he can to force Cocu to play him. If he keeps doing it, more's the better. With Huddz out for a while and good performance and win today, he can feel justifiably hard done by when he's dropped next match, but hopefully Cocu's seen something in him.

I've been quietly impressed with Shinnie every time I've seen him (I haven't seen a second of Forest away), it surprised me when I saw someone say he only had a 62% pass success rate up in Scotland, because that isn't the player I've seen in a Derby shirt.

I liked Knight a lot for the U23s last season too, though he flew under the radar a little bit with some more expressive players taking the limelight. Wish I'd spoken up about it a bit more!

Shinnie is exactly the player we should play alongside a more creative CM.

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I've been quietly impressed with Shinnie every time I've seen him (I haven't seen a second of Forest away), it surprised me when I saw someone say he only had a 62% pass success rate up in Scotland, because that isn't the player I've seen in a Derby shirt.

I liked Knight a lot for the U23s last season too, though he flew under the radar a little bit with some more expressive players taking the limelight.

If I'm honest I've been slightly underwhelmed, especially given how decisive we were in getting him in. On reflection though, it's not really fair to expect players to hit their straps the moment they arrive and the lad's had limited chances to show what he's about.

Thought he was a class apart today and just might be exactly what we need to achieve a bit of balance in midfield. 

Fantastic performance, we have lacked this type of midfielder all season, think him and Bielik could form an excellent partnership, got stuck in won his tackles, kept it moving, covered every inch of the pitch, played the ball  forwards, looking forward to seeing Shinnie have a great impact on this Dcfc team. Easy MOM today. 

52 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Thought he was brilliant, breaking up play with his tackling and driving the team forward with some great passing. Had a decent effort first half off his left boot if I remember correctly.

One of the best PP debuts I have seen in a while

Shinniesta ??

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

COYR

Good points. It might be a case that Cocu will have to accept that his preference for footballing midfielders (and also centre backs) isn't necessarily a good option for championship football. Maybe everyone is learning something? I think we saw in Shinnie today, the player Lampard had high hopes for. 

Just watched the post game interviews. Cocu saying they had a chat just over 2 weeks ago about what Shinnie needed to improve on to play; and then Shinnie saying he felt like he was playing for his Derby career...

Really has me fighting in Shinnies corner.

I'm not one for negativity, as many will likely have noticed. I'm a strong believer that those who are paid to make the decisions know better than me. But if Shinnie doesn't start the first game after the break (assuming he's fit) I'll be apoplectic. 

That spot is his until he falters imo.

Very impressed first half. got about, got a foot in, relaxed and tidy on the ball. Second half we went backwards a bit, and Shinnie didn't stand out so much, but still....a bit of aggression and mobility in midfield never goes amiss.

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That spot is his until he falters imo.

Agreed. Great attitude from Shinnie.

In fairness, I think Cocu is still learning - both about the Championship and about his squad. Training can only tell you so much.

Many managers talk on arrival of clean slates but, again, to be fair, Cocu has let Martin and Shinnie work their way into the team.

Also he wouldn't be the first manager to hit on the best team and formation through chance injuries and suspensions. Looking at you Bobby Robson, 1986.

What I'm wondering about, especially given the short preseason, were Clarke, Dowell and Bielik players that Cocu even knew about, Rosenior recommendations or did they come from the mysterious and elusive recruitment team?

Archived