Cameron Carter-Vickers - Signed for Stoke, then Luton

JfR

55 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Thing is we currently have no academy players ready to step up & as it stands no centre back for next season. So if we can get this lad or someone else in on loan at first to take a look at then potentially turn it into a permanent then why not. We need 3 or 4 new CBs, a young 21 year old who could make the grade isnt a bad gamble. Who care what stoke fans think? They probably think Ince is rubbish but id take him back over our wingers any day!

Where do you think Max Hunt fits into our plans? His loan spell appeared to be going well initially.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Something that surprises me, for a club with such a great academy, we dont have a CB or 2 amongst our ranks ready to either make the step up or act as adequate cover.

24 million invested (according to Mel) and we are having to loan other teams youngsters.

CBs usually break into the team much later than other positions, typically spending more time out on loan first. Minkley and Cashin both look to have the potential to play for our first team. But, at just 19 and 18 years old, that’s unlikely to be for at least 3 years due to requiring playing experience. 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Something that surprises me, for a club with such a great academy, we dont have a CB or 2 amongst our ranks ready to either make the step up or act as adequate cover.

24 million invested (according to Mel) and we are having to loan other teams youngsters.

You can’t expect the academy to cover the whole first team. I think we are doing very well with the amount of youngsters that could be coming through this season and next. 

Traditionally we had a few centre halves come from the academy - Riggott, Elliott and the fabulous Pablo Mills! We have got Lowe and Bogle so potentially half a back 4. It goes in cycles, I’m sure there will be one in a few years time. 

I'm sure you could find negative comments about Tomori on a Hull/Brighton forum after his spells there. Fast forward and he had a great season, won our POTY, and has gone on to feature for England. I'm not saying Carter-Vickers is going to have the same impact, and I understand Jody Morris will have known Tomori well before he came, but surely we should be reserving judgement until (if) he actually plays. He might be a gem.

Archived