Cameron Carter-Vickers - Signed for Stoke, then Luton

JfR

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of us know really do we but I had hoped that we'd sign 3 players that were better than what we have that would improve our side. Not too many as we still want the kids to come thru but a central defender deffo. If this is true its a little underwhelming. 

33 minutes ago, leamram said:

According to a Stoke forum he was played out of position at right back for a bit of the season.

They dont rate him and aren't bothered about him leaving 

If that's the Oatcake forum (which should be renamed Fruitcake forum), then he's probably half decent. Stoke fans are real muppets when it comes to assessing players.

Thinking perhaps more into this. Carter-Vickers is a natural CB but can play as a defensive RB. Cocu seems to like defensive fullbacks. 

It makes me think is this a signing to cover both RB (with Wisdom first choice) and CB if Bogle is sold. Otherwise we currently go into next season with zero CB's and Wisdom for RB. 

Playing wisdom at RB we only really have Clarke & Davies as natural centre backs. Its a big ask for Davies to play every game & clarke has had an injury. Can see us bringing in two CB. One to improve us one to cover 

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If that's the Oatcake forum (which should be renamed Fruitcake forum), then he's probably half decent. Stoke fans are real muppets when it comes to assessing players.

It was...they also think if we get a half decent manager we'll be flying up the league ?‍♂️

I think it’s important to note here that I’m pretty sure the Derby Telegraph said a few weeks back that we were after two defenders this window, a new first choice centre back, and another cover player who can potentially also cover right back. This lad seems to perfectly fit the latter description to me. I was also told that we were getting our main centre back in during the second week of the window as I said before, of course that might have changed and this lad come in early, but it may also point further toward there being another signing. We’re very short of depth at the back, I still reckon we’ll sign Benkovic as well.

And also, FWIW, I don’t think this is a bad deal. 4m permanent could be a bargain fee for someone of his potential, he’s still only 21 don’t forget. I’d have expected more around the 10m mark these days. Could be a great deal to be able to actually sign someone like him at the end of the loan, rather than him going back to Spurs to be loaned higher up the ladder. He’s obviously got potential, so to bring him into our set up away from Spurs is no bad thing to me. We just have to hope that this time he succeeds in a championship loan, after struggling to make a mark previously which is why he’s still here.

45 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Signing for the sake of a signing. Doubt he'd improve us. Shame we couldn't get that Leicester lad. 

Perhaps better to see what the Swansea fans think of him. Played 30 games for Potter's impressive side in his favoured position at centre-half, as opposed to at right-back in that comedy club of a Stoke side.

I'm unfamiliar with him despite his name being around for years. Checked the Swans forum and here's some of the comments about him:

A more reckless tackle for a stonewall pen, by carter vickers, you won’t see all season.

Joey, their no. 8 and no.27 controlled the tempo of midfield while the lack of good service to Baston made even Carter-Vickers look a good player along with c/back Batth.

Carter vickers was immense and Joe Allen man of the match. 

I thought Carter Vickers looked like a young Ash as the season progressed last season. Could become a great player

The goals we conceded yesterday were very poor. I would expect vdh and Carter vickers to have dealt with them comfortably. I would like to see Rodon back in the team as Carter vickers, 

Carter Vickers, meanwhile, looked like a scaffolder plunged into a job swap for a Channel 4 reality series. Presumably out there somewhere there’s a cultured centre half driving a flat bed truck around

Grimes our best centre mid this season at centre half, when carter vickers is on the bench. 

Cameron Carter-Vickers - looks decent to me when he has stepped in and I would like to keep him for the rest of the season

It is odd that the recruitment team appear to buy random players, if your completing a jigsaw puzzle and are short of a few pieces then, to complete the Jigsaw puzzle, you need to buy the correct pieces that fit in order to see the picture as a whole.

I can understand that the recruitment team may be instructed to go out and look at some centre half's but surely its  the manager should have the final say who we bring in.

Archived