Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Like many others Ive watched him for years at Birmingham or Hull and a good season at Derby. He is a tough battling centre half with a huge heart but passing isnt his strength. Its not just accuracy either, its selection of pass. Id rather get players in who can " play" if the style is going to be play out from the back, fast, get it forward quick. 

Oh I agree with this, but that's not what you said, you said that since we'd started playing out from the back (ie. When Lampard replaced Rowett) "he's been awful".

I was pointing out that this is just plain wrong as he hardly played a game for us last season.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

2 of Keogh, Evans, Clarke starting at centre half

1 of Bielik, Huddlestone (plus Bird) starting as a holding midfielder

2 of Shinnie, Dowell, Holmes (plus Knight, Sibley) starting as attacking midfielders

You've then got a big of flexibility to change it depending on what we think the opposition will be doing. Shinnie if we're expecting a battle, Dowell and Holmes if we're expecting an open game etc.  And obviously injuries/resting will mean some rotation too.

I don't ever see Marriott being a regular starter if we're playing a lone striker. He just doesn't offer enough when not through on goal.  I'm expecting him to be a regular impact sub, and maybe starting some games against specific types of opposition.

So what is your eleven for Huddersfield if everyone is fit and Bielik and Clark on board?

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For the last few seasons we wait until almost the last few weeks of the transfer window to do our business, it tends to kick off after we have sold a big player.

Hendrick, Ince, Hughes, Vydra...the transfers that carry large fees tend to kick off once we sell someone.

I would be more than happy for Bogle to stay, his value will only go up, but if someone offered 15 million for him, he would be off quicker than a pint of milk in summer.

Top tip for you. Most folk store their milk in a fridge. Lasts the same length of time irrespective of season.

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

So what is your eleven for Huddersfield if everyone is fit and Bielik and Clark on board?

I doubt the new guys will start, given how close we are to the game, and it's unlikely that Holmes and Marriott will be fit enough to start, so I'd be surprised if the XI is much different from:

Roos

Bogle, Keogh, Evans, Malone

Huddlestone

Dowell Shinne

Josefzoon Waghorn Lawrence

Clark and Bielik will come in for Huddlestone and Evans when they're ready. And Holmes will rotate with Dowell and Shinnie depending on fitness/opposition etc.  Bennett will rotate with the other wingers as and when.

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I doubt the new guys will start, given how close we are to the game, and it's unlikely that Holmes and Marriott will be fit enough to start, so I'd be surprised if the XI is much different from:

Roos

Bogle, Keogh, Evans, Malone

Huddlestone

Dowell Shinne

Josefzoon Waghorn Lawrence

Clark and Bielik will come in for Huddlestone and Evans when they're ready. And Holmes will rotate with Dowell and Shinnie depending on fitness/opposition etc.  Bennett will rotate with the other wingers as and when.

I think that as long as they are fit enough you play them. 10 million for a player is a lot, hes a good player, play him. Our midfield last season was suspect especially away, i would risk it and pick the strongest team possible regardless of arrival time. Clarke and Bielek to start and others who come in can fit in when fit enough.

5 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I think that as long as they are fit enough you play them. 10 million for a player is a lot, hes a good player, play him. Our midfield last season was suspect especially away, i would risk it and pick the strongest team possible regardless of arrival time. Clarke and Bielek to start and others who come in can fit in when fit enough.

Managers tend to have fixed views on whether you chuck new guys in or not.  Most of our recent managers have tended to bench them until they've at least trained properly with the squad.  Obviously we don't know how Cocu handles this yet, but if they're signed on say Friday morning, it's hard to see them starting a game on Monday.

8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I think squad morale comes into it, though.

If you've played a whole pre season, applying yourself in the games, then someone is bought and comes in and immediately takes your place after a single training session, it doesn't give you a huge amount of belief that you can work your way back into the squad.

I would stick with something similar to this for the first game:

Roos
Bogle Keogh Evans Malone
            Huddlestone
     Dowell          Shinnie
Jozefzoon               Lawrence
               Waghorn

Put Bielik and Clarke on the bench and introduce them into the squad gradually. You don't win the league in the first game of the season and I don't think it's worth potentially unsettling your squad for a point or three.

1 minute ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I think squad morale comes into it, though.

If you've played a whole pre season, applying yourself in the games, then someone is bought and comes in and immediately takes your place after a single training session, it doesn't give you a huge amount of belief that you can work your way back into the squad.

Roos
Bogle Keogh Evans Malone
            Huddlestone
     Dowell          Shinnie
               Waghorn

Put Bielik and Clarke on the bench and introduce them into the squad gradually. You don't win the league in the first game of the season and I don't think it's worth potentially unsettling your squad for a point or three.

Exactly this.  There's a reason that managers typically wait until the Carabao Cup game to play their late-window signings. 

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Oh I agree with this, but that's not what you said, you said that since we'd started playing out from the back (ie. When Lampard replaced Rowett) "he's been awful".

I was pointing out that this is just plain wrong as he hardly played a game for us last season.

Ok Camero....well for the benefit of you or any other thread barristers, what I should have said is, " since ive watched Curtis over many years its never struck me that his ability to pass well or select a correct pass regularly is one of his strengths. Therefore, if his current club which is our beloved Derby insist that we play a style requiring accurate and correct passing from both centre halfs then it might be better to have players that can do that well"! 

Everyone happy? 

2 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Ok Camero....well for the benefit of you or any other thread barristers, what I should have said is, " since ive watched Curtis over many years its never struck me that his ability to pass well or select a correct pass regularly is one of his strengths. Therefore, if his current club which is our beloved Derby insist that we play a style requiring accurate and correct passing from both centre halfs then it might be better to have players that can do that well"! 

Everyone happy? 

Eloquently put ? 

18 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

We are away from home, they have a decent mobile midfield so I wouldn’t be playing Hudds anyway. Which means if Bielek signs I’d play him to help screen the back 4.

Exactly, we were absolutely dominated in midfield against Rangers by the sounds of things, I reckon it would be worth putting him straight in if we can sign him today, any later and it might be too soon. 

31 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Roos
Bogle Keogh Evans Malone
            Huddlestone
     Dowell          Shinnie
               Waghorn

Roos

Keogh Keogh Keogh Keogh

Keogh

Keogh     Keogh

Keogh                          Anya

Keogh

I'm just very pleased he's been made captain again

11 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Everyone happy? 

See, now that wasn't really that difficult was it?

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

John Percy has spoken.

Brighton defender Matt Clarke is also joining the Championship club in a season's loan as Cocu moves to further strengthen his squad.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/01/Derby-county-break-club-transfer-record-95million-deal-arsenals/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

£95m? Looks like we're not broke after all...

Sounds like it’s done then, just waiting for the announcement on the Clarke deal too. Shame we couldn’t keep Tomori but hopefully Clarke replaces him well. 9.5 mil for bielik then... big money that could be if he does well. Less than 8m out this summer though so should still leave us some funds.for other deals.

Archived