Is this the most undercooked preseason you can remember?

Duracell

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

However, after the Chelsea drama, what we needed to do in preseason was a lot more, and we had less time, but stuck to what we'd arranged. I don't know his feasible changing the plans would have been, but circumstances have clearly not helped.

I'm not sure I agree - I think with a new manager it's more important to be spending time in training getting ideas across - It's usually going to take a lot more than 5 games to get the theory working in practice

I actually think the America trip was a good idea - First game of pre-season is always just a fitness run out to remind them what having an opponent is like and playing someone pants is always good to get the confidence up - Second game I think was a great idea as you always want to get players 60 mins so splitting the game like that and getting everyone 60 mins was a great idea (just shame the weather killed it a bit)

After that we've played 3 fairly competitive teams - Burton for the local fisticuffs (plus same sort of quality as bottom end Champs teams) - Girona who were playing the best teams in Italy last term - Rangers who play champions league football

On a purely simplistic level I don’t really understand why you’d go to Florida. You lose a day in travel and the time difference whilst not massive would not be ideal for jet lag. If you want to put the players through their paces in hot weather why not just go to Spain or Portugal like everyone else does?

Our last two pre seasons will have been planned with continuation in mind, not a whole new manager and staff. It certainly was not a good setup for a new manager, let alone one who has never played for a club or managed in this country before. Going to Florida was ok if Cocu had actually been here a week or so before we went!

Cocu has had to give minutes to as many players as possible who may be needed in the squad. I also suspect he liked the look of Martin and Marriott, but hasn't been able to try that again.

Thorne being Thorne yet again and Holmes being out has left the midfield looking very weak.

I hope no one holds any blame for this with Cocu and I respect him more for having a good look at what he has to work with and giving the youth a chance.

A new Manager comes in and he's going to sate the obvious "I want to look at the team".

Whilst the majority of fans can see the obvious that we're short of quality.

Unless something changes before the deadline day, I've actually accepted mediocrity as the expectation for this season.

Cocu has to play the cards he's been dealt. He'd have had no input on the pre-season schedule which would have been decided upon months before he joined the club.

I think it's fair to say that we will be somewhat behind other teams but over a long and arduous season, that may not prove as big a handicap as it might seem right now. 

We are playing Huddersfield, Swansea, Stoke, Bristol, West Brom, Brentford, Cardiff and Leeds in our first 8 games. 5 of those are on parachute payments still and none of them will be easy to beat. I would like to think the fans wont judge Cocu and co too harshly if we dont win every single one of them regardless of how pre season went.

6 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Were the Italians having holidays on the Costa del Sol then?

Yeh, it's fair to say I was researching a holiday at the same time as writing that post - doing a weekend in Naples in September hopefully

image.png.41cd22cd6518290b655c06f5e0f72bc3.png

I'm not too concerned. When we beat Wolves in our final pre-season game I thought we'd be in the top 2 no problem. A week later we were awful against Reading for the majority of the game. Need to consider Rangers have started to play competitive football weeks ago. There's a number of teams in the division who haven't made many signings so far. A flurry of activity to start this week no doubt.

A big signing would cheer everyone up, I trust the chairman and the manager to pull it off.

Firstly no one can point any fingers at Cocu, I believe he has approached this job as though it's the first day of pre-season with a new squad, regardless of time frames and lack of signings, he is taking a good look at what he has got in preparation for the next 3 years. Bravo for that.

However, the whole pre-season has been a shambles;

1. Going to America and Sibley not being able to go

2. Accidently leaking on the website that Girona would be a friendly

3. Accidently leaking that Frank had joined Chelsea

4. The bizzare game against Bristol City, firstly, why play someone from the same division in a friendly anyway? Makes no sense what so ever to me.

5. The lack of games, we used to sometimes have 2 friendlies on 1 day, with 2 different elevens playing in each.

6. The final game of pre season being away to Rangers, it is usually a big home game.

7. The BIG home game being against a second division Spanish side, whose style wouldn't represent anything we would experience in he Championship.

8. The absolutely ridiculous pricing of the Girona game, 20 pound pay on the door ticket, it almost seemed as though Derby were trying to promote Rams TV and were hoping more people would watch it online then actually go to the game.

9. The Ill timed and poorly executed release of the refreshments policy that almost broke Twitter ?

The whole thing strikes me as though Frank was leaving, he honestly didn't care, the planning took place anyway without the input of a manager. The togetherness and professionalism that we said we seemed to have as a club last year evaporated with each passing day of the Lampard saga.

That's my totally negative slant on it anyway.

4 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I'm not too concerned. When we beat Wolves in our final pre-season game I thought we'd be in the top 2 no problem. A week later we were awful against Reading for the majority of the game. Need to consider Rangers have started to play competitive football weeks ago. There's a number of teams in the division who haven't made many signings so far. A flurry of activity to start this week no doubt.

A big signing would cheer everyone up, I trust the chairman and the manager to pull it off.

Kinky

Yep it does certainly seem poorly organised. You should start with lower league teams for fitness, then build up to tougher tests and a show piece finale with a team above you to really test your team imo. We seemed to dart around with good teams (Bristol, Rangers) in amongst other lower teams (Burton) without there being any clear build up. The timing of the girona friendly was awful and meant barely any of the first team featured, meaning they’ve had even less minutes than we’d hope. The mess In the US with the Bristol friendly hasn’t helped matters either. All just a bit of a wreck of a pre season, worsened by Lampard leaving us in the lurch for so long, which has left our team not fit and not ready for the start of the season. Cocu will have to work miracles to have us competing in August with the mess Lampard has left us in.

It's all strangely underwhelming.

I was quite excited when cocu came in but this pre season has just took the edge of it for all sorts of reasons.

I'm looking forwards to a hit once my first season tickets arrive but a general lowering of expectations would appear to be wise then hope for a steady rise in performance through the season.

Archived