Gareth Bale

Andicis

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

anyone seen Aguero speak English yet

It's a funny one isn't it? I posted earlier that we like folk who come to our shores to integrate but we're not so fussed about footballers. Personally I think that's right as I feel they should be judged on their performances on the pitch. Watching some of them struggling with post-match interviews I actually find quite endearing, but then a ready smile and a bit of enthusiasm goes a long way most often. 

I was thinking he's being harshly treated after some unbelievable performances for Real.

But if he doesn't know the language, and Zidane can't speak any English - then it probably does suggest that Bale does what he wants on the pitch and not what Zidane is asking him to.

So yeah, he's had his moments and done Zidane a lot of favours, but that isn't the full picture. If you've time to perfect your golf swing, you've time to learn a language.

Bit of an individual it seems.

Never really suited to spanish football as his game was all about athleticism, outpacing, out running etc

Real have better technical players (such as Isco), and therefore it was predictable that he'd end up on the bench.

ludicrous wages. I don't see why Real shouldn't try to recover some money on him, but they will be keen to do a quick deal.

He needs to cut his wage demands by at least 75%  and try for a move to an english prem or bundesliga side.

Could end up at west ham or someone equally crap.

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He needs to cut his wage demands by at least 75%  and try for a move to an english prem or bundesliga side.

Why? Real were dumb enough to give him the contract. Why on earth should Bale voluntarily take a massive pay cut because they've changed their minds?

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

Why? Real were dumb enough to give him the contract. Why on earth should Bale voluntarily take a massive pay cut because they've changed their minds?

Because

• they don't him.
  • no-one else will pay that
  • he doesn't need the money

Is this the only way John Toshack can remain relevant? By criticising others?

I think it’s lazy and counter productive to point the finger and criticise Bale and his perceived lack of Spanish and lack of integration. 

If you want to see him make more of an effort, publicly humiliating him is not the way to go about it. He will only feel more insecure and those walls around him will close in further.

It’s an incredible challenge for an ordinary person with an ordinary job to move abroad and integrate.

So why would it be any simpler for a footballer? In fact I would imagine it is much more difficult.

Footballers don’t live normal lives. Their money can shelter them from the real world and they don’t have to face up to the problems foreigners ordinarily might face.

If you are giving Bale €500,000 a week, he has 500,000 reasons not to make an effort and 500,000 different ways to shelter himself.

He can live in a big house in a gated community. He can afford to hire an entourage of people - the very best translators, personal chefs, personal trainers, personal assistants, chauffeurs, personal shoppers and accountants - all of whom can be vetted and paid handsomely to ensure they are bi-lingual and can look after his needs.

Now you might say Bale signed his contract and out of personal and professional pride, he should be committed to life in Spain and everything it entails.

But at the end of the day, when it comes down to it, business is business. These clubs only care about what happens on the pitch. If the team are winning trophies, everyone will make allowances and let Bale live in his bubble. It is the same way for smaller companies and how they operate with non-speakers of the local language. If it’s in their interests, they don’t care what language you speak.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this only becomes a big talking point when Madrid are struggling.

But for me, I am not really sure what the club and the fans really expect - you can’t give the guy an unbelievable contract and pander to the guy’s every want and need, and then be surprised when the guy opts to coast through life.

If I had €2 million in the bank every month, I’d be living that ‘Si, senor!’ life too.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He doesn't need to play.

True. But it won't do his mental health any good and he will feel like a fraud.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Because

• they don't him. Not Bale's problem
  • no-one else will pay that Not Bale's problem
  • he doesn't need the money He wants it though, and he has a contract saying he's entitled to it. I fully support his obstinateness, because I would be doing exactly the same in his situation.

19 hours ago, BobbyD said:

The idea that you go and live in a foreign country for six years to work and don’t even make the effort to learn the local language is astonishing . Perhaps this says more about his character and mentality than anything ? 

Why does it? I lived in Switzerland for a number of years and barely have any Swiss German.....I had a full time job and a family, both more important than learning a language...I also played football in a German team, a swiss team and a French team where no one in any of the squads spoke any English at all....and it was so so easy to understand what they were saying and what I was replying back to them, football is simple, there is a small amount of things you have to communicate with each other on the pitch and you get by...….plus I am sure that Bale speaks/understands a lot of Spanish... Just Toshack/Zidane/Madrid being knobs.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Why does it? I lived in Switzerland for a number of years and barely have any Swiss German.....I had a full time job and a family, both more important than learning a language...I also played football in a German team, a swiss team and a French team where no one in any of the squads spoke any English at all....and it was so so easy to understand what they were saying and what I was replying back to them, football is simple, there is a small amount of things you have to communicate with each other on the pitch and you get by...….plus I am sure that Bale speaks/understands a lot of Spanish... Just Toshack/Zidane/Madrid being knobs.

It's a lot easier for a multi-millionaire footballer to learn a language than a full-time working dad.

23 hours ago, BobbyD said:

After six years ? 

In that interview he states that the manager is Rafa Benítez, and they are about to play their second game of the season. That would make it the start of the 2015-16 season, so 4 years ago. It's possible his Spanish hasn't improved as I have never heard him interviewed before, but every possibility that it has.

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

did you understand  - "get duckin rid" in German. - when the ball was bobbling around the penalty area......lol bet you did

On 29/07/2019 at 11:58, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If you're earning 1,000 grand a day, you'll be earning 1 million a day. That's 7 times the amount Bale is on!

Your correct. One  nought to many. Should have read 100 grand not 1,000.

20 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Is this the only way John Toshack can remain relevant? By criticising others?

I think it’s lazy and counter productive to point the finger and criticise Bale and his perceived lack of Spanish and lack of integration. 

If you want to see him make more of an effort, publicly humiliating him is not the way to go about it. He will only feel more insecure and those walls around him will close in further.

It’s an incredible challenge for an ordinary person with an ordinary job to move abroad and integrate.

So why would it be any simpler for a footballer? In fact I would imagine it is much more difficult.

Footballers don’t live normal lives. Their money can shelter them from the real world and they don’t have to face up to the problems foreigners ordinarily might face.

If you are giving Bale €500,000 a week, he has 500,000 reasons not to make an effort and 500,000 different ways to shelter himself.

He can live in a big house in a gated community. He can afford to hire an entourage of people - the very best translators, personal chefs, personal trainers, personal assistants, chauffeurs, personal shoppers and accountants - all of whom can be vetted and paid handsomely to ensure they are bi-lingual and can look after his needs.

Now you might say Bale signed his contract and out of personal and professional pride, he should be committed to life in Spain and everything it entails.

But at the end of the day, when it comes down to it, business is business. These clubs only care about what happens on the pitch. If the team are winning trophies, everyone will make allowances and let Bale live in his bubble. It is the same way for smaller companies and how they operate with non-speakers of the local language. If it’s in their interests, they don’t care what language you speak.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this only becomes a big talking point when Madrid are struggling.

But for me, I am not really sure what the club and the fans really expect - you can’t give the guy an unbelievable contract and pander to the guy’s every want and need, and then be surprised when the guy opts to coast through life.

If I had €2 million in the bank every month, I’d be living that ‘Si, senor!’ life too.

I think you're post says more about you than contributes to reality. 

2 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think you're post says more about you than contributes to reality. 

Rather than trying to imply something negative about me, why don’t you contribute to the topic?

What is unrealistic about my point of view of footballers in Bale’s position?

Archived