So what do we expect this season

Curtains

I think right now it's difficult to judge because there's a fair few unknowns, namely: 

1) Who will sign ? We look light in areas but a few key signings and the picture looks really different 

2) Will any of the young players step up? There is a few players seemingly starting to look like that they might break through season which could make a big difference (see Bogle last year) 

3) Will we see more from players who've been set aside or had disrupted seasons ? Thorne, Martin and Anya were all frozen out last year but look to be in consideration again. Then the likes of Evans and Jozefsoon had disrupted seasons and might see more play under Cocu. 

4) How will the squad adapt to Cocu/how good a coach is he ? He certainly comes with a good reputation and I can point to several examples in the championship were the coach is the difference in a squad looking ordinary and looking incredible.

Right now I'm feeling positive. Cocu by all accounts is an excellent coach. Signs are pointing to a large degree of continuity in playing style which will allow us to build from last year (rather than tearing things up again). There is a number of talented youth players about the squad seemingly. And with a couple more signings to bolster us, I think we will be in the hunt for promotion. 

If I was to predict our season; I think we will start slowly but finish up in the top 6, with a good chance of pushing for autos.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

I know I can't really keep track of members changing their username, but I didn't realise that @Red_Dawn had become @oldtimeram.

Have to say though, I have a worrying feeling about the dogs. Although, I try to predict Forest to go up every year if only to tempt fate.

Even Dawnie knows they are not going this season ?

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Someone new's moved in tho....we've go Phil, Twan and the other bloke now.

Joining in the spirit - why do you think Burnley have so many keepers and will they buy Scott? ?

It’s possible they may go for Carson as Hart is on his way 

I expect us to win some, draw some and lose some.  I hope we win and draw enough to be in the play offs at least, but my heart shall not be broken if that isn’t the case (with the caveat that we fail while playing ‘good’ enjoyable football (a pejorative term probably, which means different things for different people) and hopefully seeing some exciting prospects coming through the U23s).  

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I expect us to win some, draw some and lose some.  I hope we win and draw enough to be in the play offs at least, but my heart shall not be broken if that isn’t the case (with the caveat that we fail while playing ‘good’ enjoyable football (a pejorative term probably, which means different things for different people) and hopefully seeing some exciting prospects coming through the U23s).  

Pretty much this ?

Just want us to be more consistent over a period of time, and it would be great if one or even two of the youngsters could explode onto the scene like Bogle or Aarons at Norwich did last season.  

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

It seems like the unknown again 

The only thing that is known is that you’ll be starting threads where you answer questions with questions and the thread goes round in a vicious circle

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The only thing that is known is that you’ll be starting threads where you answer questions with questions and the thread goes round in a vicious circle

Does that annoy you?

It seems clear that Cocu has been recruited to bring both first team success & continue to develop the club culture. Therefore an answer to the original question needs to be a bit broader than 'top 6'.

I would like to see a more consistent style of play this year. The strong end to last season masked a lot of very scratchy performances (particularly away) & at times, we looked like we'd run out of ideas. I'm really interested to see a) how attacking we're set up and b) to what extent we press high, based on information about Cocu's previous teams. Personally, I hope Cocu is a pragmatist and realises that high tempo, accurate football is the way to go in this division - Rosenior's input will be crucial here.

Secondly, I'm really excited to see how Cocu can develop our young players and how many he can integrate into the team. We've lost a few highly paid older players this summer and are due to lose a few more next summer, so this is a crucial campaign for giving Academy talent a lot of game time to integrate them. Clearly they have to be good enough but players often only develop with first team opportunities - we need to be patient as fans, Cocu's background suggests he will be patient with them as a manager.

The last point about expected league position is hard to answer at this point, given we've not finished summer recruitment. Obviously I would like top 6 again - I do not expect us to be anywhere near top 2 - but I could live with a top 10 finish if the playing style and squad has been remoulded for a serious assault on the top 2 in 2020/21.

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

Good post but seem to remember Davies couldn’t dislodge Tomori last season and when he got a game he had that bad Achilles injury straight away. 

Interesting season ahead. 

Not true. From what I remember, Davies started the opening game against Reading and got injured before/during the next league game against Leeds. Out for the season.

And why Rylan??

32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not true. From what I remember, Davies started the opening game against Reading and got injured before/during the next league game against Leeds. Out for the season.

And why Rylan??

Injured hamstring against Reading first game of the season then came back and did his Achilles against Stoke in December. 

Archived