So what do we expect this season

Curtains

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 10.  Say 8th 

still waiting to see who gets signed

it looks like a very even standard but i currently fancy fulham to win it, with Blackburn, preston and stoke to be stronger this year.

I think this coming season is going to be a struggle. Top 10 at best. We have lost the best 3 players of last season and not even come close to replacing them. The championship looks even stronger this season than last and we only scraped 6th by the skin of our teeth. Perhaps it will take a few seasons for the young Rams to gel but i doubt if they will be given that time if the previous seasons are anything to go by.

3 minutes ago, superzak said:

I think this coming season is going to be a struggle. Top 10 at best. We have lost the best 3 players of last season and not even come close to replacing them. The championship looks even stronger this season than last and we only scraped 6th by the skin of our teeth. Perhaps it will take a few seasons for the young Rams to gel but i doubt if they will be given that time if the previous seasons are anything to go by.

I agree to improve on last year with the activity so far is too much of an ask .Unless PC is an outstanding coach and can get what he has at his disposal playing out of their skin.

Maybe another question would be:

What do we want from this season?

Personally, I like the move away from splashing the cash and the emphasis on developing home grown talent.

If, on the way, they play entertaining football, I'd be happy with a mid table finish this year and build something more sustainable with a promotion push next year.

On reflection.... Forget that, let's splash £20 million on Wilson. Ooh and on Tomori.

I'd like to see more of knight. bennett, buchanan and lowe. They all seem ready to feature more often. I'd like to see evans given a chance to become a regular centre back. I'd stick with roos and hold on to bogle. I'd keep martin but i wouldn't be surprised to see thorne and martin disappear again on long term loans. I'd let davies, mitchell and probably carson go if we can sign a couple of younger up and coming replacements. 

I'd like to see us find a way to accommodate waghorn and marriott but i think marriott will miss out and will be gone sooner or later.

that leaves four problem positions.

left side attacking midfield - we seem to have missed the chance to bring in a left footer and give ourselves the option to move lawrence.

centre midfield - dowell, holmes and shinnie competing with knight looks a bit short of the necessary over 46 games. Maybe bennett could yet take one of those two positions as he did v burton, (and played very well imo). Holmes seems injury prone. I wouldn't mind seeing harry wilson back.

right side attacking mid - really hope jozefzoon can step it up but i'm not sure that lawrence on the left and jozefzoon on the right will ultimately be good enough for top 6. Its a pity we didn't get another opportunity to see luke thomas. 

Holding player - none of the sprogs look like holding midfielders to me. The no6 for Girona was great in that role and showed how to pull the strings from deep and yet still pose a threat on the edge of the opposition box.  Huddz is marmite and can't be expected to play 46 games. Maybe shinnie is the other option. we seem to be one short in midfield. I still don't get why we didn't give elsnik an opportunity to understudy huddz. He had a bit more physique and power. if we do bring someone in then please let's raise the standard. Lets not have another journeyman just making up the numbers.

All in all, happy with the smaller squad. Happy to see a few sprogs getting gametime, but would like to have seen a couple of special signings in positions  where we could and should  have improved.

we shouldn't rush bird, sibley, mitchell-lawson, whittaker etc. Give them more time to develop away from the spotlight.

We should be aiming for top 6 but i think we will come up slightly short, which might just turn up the heat. 

Let’s be honest with ourselves top 6 is always the expectation at Derby, Mel always tells us it’s not and theirs a variety of measures but we all know he expects managers to be fighting to get us into the premier league and anything below 6th is classed as failure. We like to play it down and say it’s a transitional season etc but managers don’t stay at teams for long enough for them to have a full season of transition. You have to perform whilst transitioning here. I also don’t agree when people claim we don’t have the right players, we have a very strong squad that has a mix of experience and youth along with 3 strikers capable of scoring 20 each. We have two top championship cbs and some good midfielders too. On top of that our under 18s are reigning champions of England with a couple looking set to step up into the first team. 

If we add a couple of loan players to add some more flair we will be feared. Top 6 is quite clearly the benchmark for success. 

Look at the squad Cardiff went up with and you’ll believe we’ll win the league. 

That said as long as we are playing good football and we are fighting for top 6 on the final day I do think we will stick with Cocu. 

19 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Maybe another question would be:

What do we want from this season?

I think the question is what does Cocu want? He's made it clear he wants to win every game. But he wants a balance between bringing thru youth and performance.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the question is what does Cocu want? He's made it clear he wants to win every game. But he wants a balance between bringing thru youth and performance.

I would hope he does want to win every game. What manager wouldn't?

32 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

It seems at the moment Uncle Mel's got his hand firmly on his 'halfpenny' and is not willing to let go of it.

No I think said hand has been well and truly burnt by previous bad pennies if you use your same analogy

Archived