Academy Thread 19/20

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

All the 3 mentioned seem to be under-16s, so really going for the your ones with this award.

Wonder if that means there is a bit of a gap between the current batch of 19 year-olds in the first team squad, and the next quality batch coming through?

---

Edit: Just checked - Alex Matthews won last year, so looks like this award always goes to the u16 age group.

Scholar of the Year is for the u18 age group. Don't know who won that this season?

@therealhantsram, hopefully I haven't missed anyone, but the players grouped by when they became first year scholars are...

20/21: Roberts, Rutt, Filimon, Christie, Williams, Borkovic, Gordon, (plus others)

19/20: Bardell, Jinkinson, Solomon, Grewal-Pollard, Matthews, Rogers, Aghatise, Perez De Gracia, SThompson, Nto, Cybulski

18/19: Foster, Halwax, Ebosele, Cashin, McDonald, Charles, LThompson, Sibley, Archie, Wilson, Stretton

17/18: Minkley, Buchanan, JBrown, Dixon, Bird, Knight, Whittaker

Liam Delap would have been part of the 19/20 group too if he didn't leave for Man City.

I don't think it's any surprise the 17/18 and 18/19 groups won the U18 title last season... that group would have been serious contenders for the U23 title in the season just gone as well. They were 4th in the league with Sibley, Bird, Knight, Whittaker and Buchanan missing for most of the season.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

@therealhantsram, hopefully I haven't missed anyone, but the players grouped by when they became first year scholars are...

20/21: Roberts, Rutt, Filimon, Christie, Williams, Borkovic, Gordon, (plus others)

19/20: Bardell, Jinkinson, Solomon, Grewal-Pollard, Matthews, Rogers, Aghatise, Perez De Gracia, SThompson, Nto, Cybulski

18/19: Foster, Halwax, Ebosele, Cashin, McDonald, Charles, LThompson, Sibley, Archie, Wilson, Stretton

17/18: Minkley, Buchanan, JBrown, Dixon, Bird, Knight, Whittaker

Liam Delap would have been part of the 19/20 group too if he didn't leave for Man City.

I don't think it's any surprise the 17/18 and 18/19 groups won the U18 title last season... that group would have been serious contenders for the U23 title in the season just gone as well. They were 4th in the league with Sibley, Bird, Knight, Whittaker and Buchanan missing for most of the season.

Thanks, that's really good to read. 

I do wish there was a bit more information on the academy readily available on the DCFC website - I think most of it is there somewhere but I don't find it at all easy to navigate.

Same with the 18s, 23s and first team, too.

Do they still have that table in The Ram with all the season stats? Would like to see something similar on the website for a good few levels down.

I gave up buying the Ram as part of my economy drive to allow us to go to more matches a few years ago.

I've been noticing an obvious growing recognition of Derby's academy over the course of this season. Clearly facilitated by the presence of young players in our first team, but people (who spend a lot of time following youth football) are noticing how talented our academy remains despite so many players making the step-up. Not just commenting on the obvious in regards to Bird, Sibley etc. etc.

That recognition is important; because Derby's academy is one of the best in the country (and is up there in Europe too) - and the more people who are aware of that the more often situations like last season's with Jahmal Hector-Ingram will occur. Young players will want to play here, and the quality will keep rising.

On 27/07/2020 at 09:42, SaintRam said:

I've been noticing an obvious growing recognition of Derby's academy over the course of this season. Clearly facilitated by the presence of young players in our first team, but people (who spend a lot of time following youth football) are noticing how talented our academy remains despite so many players making the step-up. Not just commenting on the obvious in regards to Bird, Sibley etc. etc.

That recognition is important; because Derby's academy is one of the best in the country (and is up there in Europe too) - and the more people who are aware of that the more often situations like last season's with Jahmal Hector-Ingram will occur. Young players will want to play here, and the quality will keep rising.

I've been thinking this for a while, like a snowball effect, the more that come through the more will want to sign as they can see the pathway and so it continues. ?

16 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I've been thinking this for a while, like a snowball effect, the more that come through the more will want to sign as they can see the pathway and so it continues. ?

Thats also great news if we do get promoted (one day). One of my worries was that the kids wouldn’t get a chance in the first team in the premier league, cos the quality needs to be that much higher. But if the quality of the academy is attracting world class youth players, then they will be if a quality that will allow them to move into the first team. Then more youth players see players here moving up to the first team, in the premier league, being given their shot, and then more and more even better youth players want to come here. 

the quality just keeps getting better and better in this cycle. 

When did the name Jayden get invented?

There were no Jayden’s when i was at school. 

Martin, Paul, Richard, Timothy, Ian, Robert, Michael, Steven, Mark, Matthew.
We had a Keith and we even had a Gareth. Sort of. 
But there were no Jayden’s.
There was a Jayne. 

I’m not really sure about it. 

there was a Suzanne. 

he was a good lad.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

When did the name Jayden get invented?

There were no Jayden’s when i was at school. 

Martin, Paul, Richard, Timothy, Ian, Robert, Michael, Steven, Mark, Matthew.
We had a Keith and we even had a Gareth. Sort of. 
But there were no Jayden’s.
There was a Jayne. 

I’m not really sure about it. 

there was a Suzanne. 

he was a good lad.

I'm older than you.

We had a Gordon, but he was a moron.

Archived