Academy Thread 19/20

It’s that time of the year again... a new academy thread. I’ll start us off with what I believe the squads are.

U23s

Goalkeepers: Ravas, Barnes, Yates, French

Defenders: Gordon, J Brown, Bateman, Hunt, Wassall, Buchanan, Minkley, C MacDonald

Midfielders: Sibley, Knight, Babos, Dixon

Wingers: McAllister, Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson, Shonibare

Forwards: Cresswell, Whittaker, Greco

U18s

Goalkeepers: Halwax, Foster-Theniger

Defenders: K MacDonald, Cashin, Perez de Gracia, Bardell, A Brown, Charles

Midfielders: L Thompson, Matthews, Nto, Jinkinson, Grewal-Pollard, Rogers

Wingers: Ebosele, S Thompson, Cybulski

Forwards: Stretton, Aghatise, Soloman, Splatt

NB. I may have misassigned positions to some of the U18s.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’s that time of the year again... a new academy thread. I’ll start us off with what I believe the squads are.

U23s

Defenders: Gordon, J Brown, Bateman, Hunt, Wassall, Buchanan, Minkley, C MacDonald

U18s

We will let you off just this once lol, seriously thank you. the U23’s look strong and lets wait and see with the U18’s . Is good that we are discussing them.

Let’s put a few faces to names

Back row (left to right): ?, ?, Hunt, Greco, Splatt, J Brown, Cresswell, Minkley, Ravas, Yates, Sibley, ?

Front row: Wassall, Shonibare, Gordon, ?, Babos, Wilson, Dixon, ?

I think Seb Thompson is the one back row 1st left, and Aghatise is next to Gordon. I don’t recognise the others

Barnes, French and McAllister are seemingly missing. 

19 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It will be interesting to see what sort of line up we use in Europe, seeing as that's under 19's.

Keep it for the existing under 18's, or drop eligible lads back down to better compete?

The members of the U18 team who qualified, who are now 19, will play in that tournament. That's why it's an U19 competition. 

Unless they're playing in the first team. 

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U23s

U18s

I see A Brown is a defender, I am guessing that is Archie Brown, I thought he was a striker, I could be wrong.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let’s put a few faces to names

Back row (left to right): ?, ?, Hunt, Greco, Splatt, J Brown, Cresswell, Minkley, Ravas, Yates, Sibley, ?

Front row: Wassall, Shonibare, Gordon, ?, Babos, Wilson, Dixon, ?

I think Seb Thompson is the one back row 1st left, and Aghatise is next to Gordon. I don’t recognise the others

Barnes, French and McAllister are seemingly missing. 

None of the question marks in that photo look anything like any of the lads in the "new" scholar photos - probably down to being sweaty, but different enough for me not to want to try and name any - actually if its U23s none of them will be first or second year scholars - so we might have to just had an influx of new players. I might have to wait until the site profiles are updated. 

I've no clue who a number of those lads are. Especially the big lad in the middle of the front row. Looks about 30 ? 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

None of the question marks in that photo look anything like any of the lads in the "new" scholar photos - probably down to being sweaty, but different enough for me not to want to try and name any - actually if its U23s none of them will be first or second year scholars - so we might have to just had an influx of new players. I might have to wait until the site profiles are updated. 

I've no clue who a number of those lads are. Especially the big lad in the middle of the front row. Looks about 30 ? 

They are playing at Alfreton Town next Saturday. I'll see if I can work out who's who there.

(Got to be more interesting than watching us play Burton Albion again.)

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Definitely not a striker. I’d say predominantly a LB who has played on the LW a number of times. 

Played RB in the final against Arsenal, didn't he? Struggled a bit?

No squads on the official site yet so you’re the best hope we’ve got at knowing who’s playing for us and where they play! Looking at the u23 squad, it looks quite light on midfielders a little like the first team squad, wonder whether we might see some more players in that age group brought in to play there- maybe with some if cocus links in Holland he may know a few with potential who might be good additions to the academy/ future first team prospects. Quite a few goalies and strikers in the squad too, may see some let go/ loaned out there.

15 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Played RB in the final against Arsenal, didn't he? Struggled a bit?

Nah, Archie was LW. Without checking I think it was Jordan Brown at RB. He impressed my as a more defensive minded RB when he played for the U23s. He almost alternated between RB Andy CB throughout the season. LB on one occasion and I seem to recall him at DM a couple of times too, but not sure.

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Nah, Archie was LW. Without checking I think it was Jordan Brown at RB. He impressed my as a more defensive minded RB when he played for the U23s. He almost alternated between RB Andy CB throughout the season. LB on one occasion and I seem to recall him at DM a couple of times too, but not sure.

Archie played LW and scored a hatrick in the final.

Seems too clinical to play in defence from what I saw in that game

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No squads on the official site yet so you’re the best hope we’ve got at knowing who’s playing for us and where they play! Looking at the u23 squad, it looks quite light on midfielders a little like the first team squad, wonder whether we might see some more players in that age group brought in to play there- maybe with some if cocus links in Holland he may know a few with potential who might be good additions to the academy/ future first team prospects. Quite a few goalies and strikers in the squad too, may see some let go/ loaned out there.

Don’t forget there are some midfielders from the U23 team training in the states with the first team, Bird and Knight.

59 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Don’t forget there are some midfielders from the U23 team training in the states with the first team, Bird and Knight.

We’ve included Knight haven’t we? Think bird is considered first team now but yeah he’ll probably make some appearances for the U23s still so I guess the numbers aren’t such a concern.

Am expecting/hoping for good things for Kyle McAllister this season having done so well with his loan back to St Mirren.

For those who don't know he's a very talented wide forward but has had absolutely terrible injury problems, so it's great he proved himself week in week out in the Scottish Premiership, scoring and making the goals to keep St Mirren up.

Thought he'd be on the American trip. Alas no. Maybe he's had extra time to recover after the relegation playoffs north of the border. 

Archived