Academy Thread 19/20

16 hours ago, Topram said:

This season we’ve given u21 players 7946 minutes the most in the league the next highest is 6110 which shows we are committed to bringing them through.

They have been the best thing about our season 

And the best bit, people assume that Rooney is/was the reason our fortunes changed and we started looking up (let's be honest it was).

But, it's nice also to think the youngsters helped with that too, we started looking up the moment the kids started playing. 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

And the best bit, people assume that Rooney is/was the reason our fortunes changed and we started looking up (let's be honest it was).

But, it's nice also to think the youngsters helped with that too, we started looking up the moment the kids started playing. 

Combination of Rooney + youngsters emergence + Clarke's return from injury.

Does us no harm to let the talking heads assume it was all down to Rooney though, keeps the pressure off the youngsters.

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

I think you're asking a lot to expect some of the people on here to give Darren Wassall ? the respect that he thoroughly deserves. For whatever reason.

Such a shame he'll be tainted by that 3-3 game at Rotherham - he's done far more good than bad for this club, but it mostly goes unnoticed. 

Daz Waz deserves better. He and the team deserve a lot of praise.

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Such a shame he'll be tainted by that 3-3 game at Rotherham - he's done far more good than bad for this club, but it mostly goes unnoticed. 

Daz Waz deserves better. He and the team deserve a lot of praise.

A mate of mine knows Wassall and his wife. Apparently his wife said at 3-0 she was so happy for him because he had endured a bit of stick and it was a great relief.

At 3-3 she said he knew he looked like a broken man.

Crazy what 8 minutes of Derby County can do.

People blame Wassall, but the players on the pitch at that time wanted sacking on the spot.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Absolutely. I still have Derby v Charlton saved on my Skyplus as for me, thats when the turnaround started. Rooney wasn't available but Bird and Knight were. It was Bird's first league start since Villa away but both of them played fantastically...Knight scored both & Bird assisting the winner. And to come back from the early Bielik sending off showed massive character. The foundation for the post-Christmas recovery was in place.

14 hours ago, angieram said:

Please can we also recognise the staff at our Academy, from Darren Wassall through Pat Lyons, the quiet but very impressive Justin Walker, Craig Short and others who we don't really hear about. They have done a really impressive job to bring through these young men both on and off the pitch.

Great credit due to them all.

Great post. Between that group of staff, they've developed first team players this season that have saved the club millions of pounds & may well net 30/40m one day. Unbelievable achievement. I hope they take massive amount of pride & job satisfaction from that.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Kellan's little bro - I think I have seen him once at under 18 level.

Very interesting that they have gone for three of the younger players  - it's a great encouragement for all to work hard and get noticed .

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a positive sign that I am not fully aware of this young man as a player. We have had up to 10 players from our academy in past 2 years now playing or training with the first team, so for a different player to win this award shows there are still more players with potential stepping up in the youth teams. Well done, young man

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It's a positive sign that I am not fully aware of this young man as a player. We have had up to 10 players from our academy in past 2 years now playing or training with the first team, so for a different player to win this award shows there are still more players with potential stepping up in the youth teams. Well done, young man

Piece here, mentions two others...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/07/kaide-gordon-named-Derby-county-academy-player-of-the-season

In addition, the Academy has also recognised the efforts of youngsters Charlie Rutt and Dylan Williams.

On Rutt, Wassall said: “Charlie performed well for both the Under-16s and Under-18s during the year and has progressed really well with an excellent attitude.”

Reviewing Williams’ season, Wassall said: “Dylan has been superb both on and off the pitch during the season, setting the example for the rest of the groups.”

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Where did Kellan go, thought he looked ok?

Edit: just read the dcfc piece, Mansfield.

He had a bad injury after his transfer,  which was a shame as he was playing well. Fully fit now and back in pre-season training.

That's pretty crazy that I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable (albeit not on @angieramlevel) on the academy, and I've never seen any of the three mentioned play. Either it's deliberate given the numbers breaking through to the first team, or we have even more special talents coming through - let's hope it's actually both!

14 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Could they have used a photo of Kaide Gordon which makes him look any more like an extra from The Walking Dead!?

EOS_Vote_Academy%20Player_Twitter-2.jpg

It's definitely not the most flattering photo ever is it! ?

The two side photos on the video, 6 seconds in, look better.

He does look a talent. At this rate we're going to have more youngsters coming through than we know what to do with soon! ?

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Was looking on twitter and saw this pic of him from 2018. Prepare to feel really old. 

are you sure that's not this years Dwayne Holmes squad pic?

Archived