Academy Thread 19/20

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, angieram said:

6-0 Hepburn Murphy raced through for his hat-trick but keeper made a fantastic save and Cresswell headed home. Full time.

Nice of us to rest them against Man Utd for this. 

19 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Festy Ebosele won a penalty, then scored it. Festy’s ace and definitely one to watch. He sometimes plays in the U23s, but he’s only 17.

Agree, I really rate Festy. I think he'd be playing for under 23s but we're not going to get away with Anya in under 18s. ?

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

6-0 Hepburn Murphy raced through for his hat-trick but keeper made a fantastic save and Cresswell headed home. Full time.

Thought it was a bit harsh in the Boro goalkeeper he made a couple of good saves during the game.

JHI and Hepburn Murphy look decent prospects and Wilson impressive too. Had to work out a few of them from your score updates angie.

My Boro mates were a bit gutted, but said we just upped a gear when we needed to. They regularly follow the under 23’s and said we are another level to most teams they play, his lad said the same beforehand.

Well, that was very enjoyable and a great lesson in how to manage the conditions. We fought really hard playing into the wind first half and then mainly on the break in the second.

Hector-Ingram,  coming on for Conor Dixon at halftime,  was the right move as he gave the two huge Middlesbrough centre backs a torrid time. Both Babos and Jordan Brown were great in midfield and Jordan was almost on his knees when they substituted him, having played a full 90 in Austria. Anya got better as the game went on - he must be naturally very fit as he's had so little football. Very encouraging of the younger lads too. 

Hard to pick a best goal - Hepburn-Murphy's second, Hector-Ingram 's or Tyree Wilson's  - we were spoilt for choice really.

Hope we get another six tomorrow! 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, that was very enjoyable and a great lesson in how to manage the conditions. We fought really hard playing into the wind first half and then mainly on the break in the second.

Hector-Ingram,  coming on for Conor Dixon at halftime,  was the right move as he gave the two huge Middlesbrough centre backs a torrid time. Both Babos and Jordan Brown were great in midfield and Jordan was almost on his knees when they substituted him, having played a full 90 in Austria. Anya got better as the game went on - he must be naturally very fit as he's had so little football. Very encouraging of the younger lads too. 

Hard to pick a best goal - Hepburn-Murphy's second, Hector-Ingram 's or Tyree Wilson's  - we were spoilt for choice really.

Hope we get another six tomorrow! 

Who was our right back Angie?

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree, I really rate Festy. I think he'd be playing for under 23s but we're not going to get away with Anya in under 18s. ?

Love Festy. Keep having to remind myself he's only a nipper. Strong, versatile, competitive, plays without fear and with an eye for goal too. And boy is he rapid! He could be the most dynamic of the lot of them even taking into account the exploits of his (slight!) elders.

Another who really excites me is Tyree. He's another who could be a proper game-changer in time. It's a literal embarrassment of riches right now. Mel needs to be tying our coaching team into long-term contracts as they are doing a superb job of bringing these lads through.

It's strange really as it's been such a trying old season with the seniors, even for eternal optimists like me, but really, what a time to be a Rams fan. I know Mel has his detractors and perhaps some bumps in the road could have been avoided, but he's got stacks of credit with me.

9 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Anybody else notice Jamie Ward in the crowd. He was sat pretty near to me, I think with Wassall’s eldest son. Does he have anything to do with the academy?

No, I didn't see him but he was in the players' tunnel at the Cardiff match earlier this season - he must have some ongoing connection to the club.

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Anybody else notice Jamie Ward in the crowd. He was sat pretty near to me, I think with Wassall’s eldest son. Does he have anything to do with the academy?

I know he has a lad, not sure how old exactly, who plays. Not sure if he’s anywhere near the standard of the academy like, but could explain it. 

11 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I think he's doing his coaching badges, it was on twitter a while back. Might be working with the academy to get the experience side of things? 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I know he has a lad, not sure how old exactly, who plays. Not sure if he’s anywhere near the standard of the academy like, but could explain it. 

Ahh wondered if there was any link, as noticed him shake Craig Short’s, Darren Wassall’s and a few others hand at half time. He was front of queue being held back, waiting for teams to pass through.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

His lad is 8/9 so not quite ready for the u23 team just yet. Whether he is in one of the younger age groups I couldn’t say. Last time I saw him play he was 5 and looked way off what was required for first team football! ?

5 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

His lad is 8/9 so not quite ready for the u23 team just yet. Whether he is in one of the younger age groups I couldn’t say. Last time I saw him play he was 5 and looked way off what was required for first team football! ?

Yeah, but even at 5 he was taller than Big Duncan Holmes wasn't he?

Archived