Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Seemed to play as a central midfielder yesterday.  He truly is utility player... Interesting to see can Cocu find him a role in a team. Hope he does, as I'm pretty sure no one will be buying him.

Yeah just saw the highlights, he's playing as the left player of a midfield 3. From what I could work out he was tracking back a lot and did attacking and defensive duties. Interesting shift considering he's a left winger / left back.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Shang said:

Yeah just saw the highlights, he's playing as the left player of a midfield 3. From what I could work out he was tracking back a lot and did attacking and defensive duties. Interesting shift considering he's a left winger / left back.

He can play anywhere, probably not CB or GK though. 

22 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Maybe we simply couldn’t afford those payments ( if true) within our FFP budget for last season 

It’s not about 2nd chances in my mind it’s about the manager having a look at what they can offer and how they would fit in to team he might want to select - Anya Martin and Thorne are all capable of contributing well with Thorne my only concern with his fitness 

Thorne has been through an awful time and has shown immense character to keep going. He really deserves a lift...hope Cocu can see his latent talent and can have some patience. 

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Thorne has been through an awful time and has shown immense character to keep going. He really deserves a lift...hope Cocu can see his latent talent and can have some patience. 

There is undoubtedly a fantastic player in there.

He just needs to have the confidence to get stuck in again with-out the fear of getting injured again.

This will always be in the back of his mind, I just hope he can manage it.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

I mean this is clearly baalocks. Made up by people when they don't know what else it could be. The Anya one was floating around under Rowett and then he made an appearance.

The additional appearances came just after we sold Russell to the States, so had a little money to spend... so I think this could still be valid actually.

51 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

One thing is for certain, Anya is much better than Lawrence out wide. Anya is a good player at this  level, our recent managers just haven't shown any faith in him. 

I'm yet to see anything to support that. My recollection is that he's fast, but that's about it. 

Just looked at his stats. A 31-year old winger with 12 career goals. Ouch.

Keogh's scored more goals than Anya.

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if George can do it. He’s 26, we know he has the skill set. My only reservation is has his sporting body recovered enough to have that last 5% of reaction time. In his last come back he still had it all but got caught napping a few times. You could see heavy legs but it was a short lived come back so who knows ? 

If he can get sharp again we might just have a 26 year old midfield maestro in our midst that hasn’t got many miles on it and hasn’t seen the light of day for a season and a half and at his peak can dominate a game.

For me the jury is out, but boy oh boy  i’d give him every chance .. if it comes good we’d be purring like a rolls Royce

Twan gives me the impression, even this early on, that he knows how to get the best out of a player. Some surprise selections on the way I think. One thing for sure is that obeying instructions and playing as directed is the way forward if you want to be in the team. If we can get the best out of every player we could compete in the top four, but we need a good start and probably three more players. 

21 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

One thing is for certain, Anya is much better than Lawrence out wide. Anya is a good player at this  level, our recent managers just haven't shown any faith in him. 

I mean... I know there are plenty of people out there who aren't fans of Lawrence but that's pushing it a bit...

15 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Maybe "much better" was pushing it, swap it with "a bit". 

Well Anya's always been a utility wide man but Lawrence is that kind of creative attacking player who seems to end up the wing because they're not enough at midfield or striker but are threatening so end up there.

1 hour ago, lukedcfc said:

Maybe "much better" was pushing it, swap it with "a bit". 

Personally I'd pick Lawrence 10/10 times vs Anya

I think Anya is a very quick, hard working player but think he lacks inventiveness - He's a reactionary player - Lawrence is more creative, wants to try things, can beat players and is a potential match winner - A more pro-active player who's always trying to create opportunity not just react to it

But each to their own - They both have merits

On the very rare occasion I've seen Anya play for us, the impression I got was of a player who didn't seem to know what he was doing. He didn't seem to know what position he was playing and basically just ran with the ball until he lost it.

21 minutes ago, KCG said:

On the very rare occasion I've seen Anya play for us, the impression I got was of a player who didn't seem to know what he was doing. He didn't seem to know what position he was playing and basically just ran with the ball until he lost it.

You've just described 90% of wingers, to be fair.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Twan gives me the impression, even this early on, that he knows how to get the best out of a player. Some surprise selections on the way I think. One thing for sure is that obeying instructions and playing as directed is the way forward if you want to be in the team. If we can get the best out of every player we could compete in the top four, but we need a good start and probably three more players. 

Well Pearson sticking Butters at left wing has set the bar pretty high.....?

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Personally I'd pick Lawrence 10/10 times vs Anya

I think Anya is a very quick, hard working player but think he lacks inventiveness - He's a reactionary player - Lawrence is more creative, wants to try things, can beat players and is a potential match winner - A more pro-active player who's always trying to create opportunity not just react to it

But each to their own - They both have merits

I agree if it was about out and out talent but if that was the case I don't think Lawrence would be playing for us at all .... I find watching him play so frustrating. He squares up a full back and then... Nothing...

Anya will try things but doesn't have the skill or ability Lawrence does to be as effective at actually doing it...

In the end I kind of think the gap is quite small that neither are massively effective on what they've demonstrated for Derby.... Lawrence affects defenders because they know he can try something and will 1 in 5, Anya because they know he will try something to beat them and be successful 1 in 5. Which is better in reality... Who knows!?

I think Anya's a squad guy, useful to have around over the course of the season to play as and when needed. Seems that's been his thing all the way through his career, being part of decent squads without really ever being a star player.

Lawrence is one of those could be a star if he gets things right more often.

Archived