Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bill Curry said:

There are a few discussion on this floating around in other threads

I think generally the consensus is "clean slate means clean slate for everyone"

Some suggestion FloJo is off (rumour of an offer from Schalke) so might be to make up winger numbers

I might be in the minority but not sure why he hasn’t played more, unless I accept the rumours that there are contractual obligations muddying the waters.

Tidy, skilful player who works hard. He is a good utility option to have on the bench. He is on our books and deserves a chance (again) to evidence his qualities pre-season.

Perhaps he didn’t go to Florida initially as like Butterfield he had other options the club were happy for him to pursue. Hopefully something works out for him this summer/season coming.

All the above said, Rush and Pearson must have totallybamboozled Morris and Pearce to sign the guy up for £4m on a 4 year contract, at likely £20k plus per week. Complete and utter madness.

Anya very much reminds me of Zaha (without all the diving) in that he looks great until it comes to doing anything useful with the ball at the end of it.. Arsenal apparently offered £40 million for Zaha so perhaps we should offer him to them...

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Apparently Anya is the one of the highest paid players currently in the squad (if not the highest), purported to be on £25,000/week?

I would imagine most of the players signed in the Sam Rush era are on ludicrous wages. Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman were likely high earners before they signed reduced terms as well. I think it likely that Bryson before he left and Martin are/were also high earners.

Perhaps there was a problem with his esta and it's now sorted?

With a new manager, everyone should have a chance.

Lampard took everyone on the preseason training camp last season. Afterwards he was ruthless and cut his squad, exiling several players including Anya. And he never went back. Having a smaller, more compact group of players fostered the spirit between them and meant a better pathway for academy players. I think it worked, but it's impossible to know if we'd have been better with players such as Anya, Butterfield, Thorne etc to draw on. I'll be interested to see the approach Cocu takes.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I would imagine most of the players signed in the Sam Rush era are on ludicrous wages. Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman were likely high earners before they signed reduced terms as well. I think it likely that Bryson before he left and Martin are/were also high earners.

Those agents have got make a living somehow.

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I might be in the minority but not sure why he hasn’t played more, unless I accept the rumours that there are contractual obligations muddying the waters.

Tidy, skilful player who works hard. He is a good utility option to have on the bench. He is on our books and deserves a chance (again) to evidence his qualities pre-season.

Perhaps he didn’t go to Florida initially as like Butterfield he had other options the club were happy for him to pursue. Hopefully something works out for him this summer/season coming.

All the above said, Rush and Pearson must have totallybamboozled Morris and Pearce to sign the guy up for £4m on a 4 year contract, at likely £20k plus per week. Complete and utter madness.

His problem isn’t necessarily skill wise, but he was picking up a lot of injuries which led to inconsistency. I think it’s also fair to say that when he first came in with Vydra they both came into a fractured group, Anya never really looked settled when Vydra took his chance under Rowett, got the team essentially built around him which gave him his ticket out of the club. We bemoan Anya, and it’s probably too late for him realistically, but the problems that Pearson (and marginally Rowett and Clement too) are only now being properly realised.

Was thinking this today, but in the last few years which players have visibly improved before Lampard came in? Not necessarily monetary wise but actually look better players? You could argue quite a few actually declined. That’s why last season was so much player because you watched players, even experienced ones, improve as the season went on which has then added value to them.

Sorry I went into a rant...essentially give Anya a fair chance now we are more settled...should have just written that 

1 hour ago, HiltonoRama said:

Anya very much reminds me of Zaha (without all the diving) in that he looks great until it comes to doing anything useful with the ball at the end of it.. Arsenal apparently offered £40 million for Zaha so perhaps we should offer him to them...

Zaha scored 10 league goals last season, and 9 the season before (in 29 games). Don’t think it’s the best comparison.

14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Only one in a blue bib, the others are non bibbed or orange.

The spare man so can play for either side, or just an easy identifier for the new boy?

Nah he shares the blue bibs with the goalkeepers, he's being transitioned to that position.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Nah he shares the blue bibs with the goalkeepers, he's being transitioned to that position.

I've always thought that looked his natural position, given his physical attributes.

Might want to give the afro another try though, just to add that layer of intimidation.

Might this simply be a case of Cocu thinking, 'well he's not going anywhwere so let's have a look at him?' We might be reading far too much into the whole thing tbh.

Also, as @i-Ram pointed out, he's nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. He just isn't. Why we have to label every player brilliant or shoite on here I'll never fathom.

Archived