Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

I dont think he's looked that bad when he's played. Saw him a few times for Scotland always thought he was trying to be positive. 

If were paying his wages its better to pay him to get involved & potentially play than pay him to sit at home 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh Im alright with Cocu having at least a look at Anya; he can play as a winger or fullback and in my opinion is alot less finished that what I've seen from Martin + Thorne in recent years, but all 3 deserve an opportunity to turn it round so best of luck.

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Might this simply be a case of Cocu thinking, 'well he's not going anywhwere so let's have a look at him?' We might be reading far too much into the whole thing tbh.

Also, as @i-Ram pointed out, he's nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. He just isn't. Why we have to label every player brilliant or shoite on here I'll never fathom.

Totally agree with that. He’s handy on the ball and under Pearson was a good outlet. Lacked a bit of killer and wasn’t brilliant defensively but on here he is under rated.  AND .. like Johnson .. it isn’t his fault we paid stupid money and a whacking salary 

2 hours ago, twinkletoes said:

Anya is garbage get rid and get over it before anyone starts.

no one can tell me anya has brought anythingto Derby

Ikechi brought his pet cat to Derby; Mr Tibbles.  A tiny, playful, bundle of fluff.  The cat is quite cute too.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Damn hadn’t heard this news yet... doesn’t make it any less bizzare mind. Very unusual and no real explanation for it. Means he’s back in the first team picture, for now anyway, which none of us really expected. Or at least he has a chance to be

Not really that odd that a new manager wants to look at the squad he's take over. Be more odd if he didn't really.

I think his delay was down to treatment and assessment of injury. He did his hamstring in the last U23's game of the season. He'll have had extra days treatment and assessment to ensure he's fit to travel to the US and then join up when his recovery is 'approved'.

As stated elsewhere - Cocu is looking at the whole squad and if he seems him worthy of playing/being in the squad then I'll  trust his judgement.

I kind of feel for Anya. He has been nothing but professional and I haven't heard of any rumours of him moaning about not playing etc.

Yes there are those out there who will say "Well if I was being paid all that money, I wouldn't moan about being in the U23 squad".

But he is a professional footballer, I am sure he wants to play at the highest standard he can achieve.

Languishing in the U23's will not do his future prospects any good so he will be pushing for a first team slot, even if just to show potential future teams what he can do and improve his stock.

I for one hopes he does well and proves himself. Might just turn out to be a real asset if managed right

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we’re using ‘clean slate’ for the inclusion of Anya, then why not Blackman or Butterfield?

They are on a ‘holding contract’ like Johnson was and they are trying to find new clubs whilst we pushed their contract length into another financial year to assist with FFP - they are effectively gone in reality unless they can’t get any club to pay them any more than the tiny fraction we are  

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we’re using ‘clean slate’ for the inclusion of Anya, then why not Blackman or Butterfield?

Think Blackman was already gone no? I suspect Butters wants out tbh otherwise I'm sure Cocu would want to have a look at him too.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe Anya wants to stay and wants to play.

We will never know what has been said or is going on in the back ground.. Like @Sparkle has said, they are all but gone anyway.

Featured quite heavily in this video. Three times in a row from the 1 minute mark. Crossing the ball for Martin to score, part of a three man break where Zoon (?) threads a ball through to a Waghorn, then a ridiculously unnecessary quintuple step-over against Fozzy. 

That second clip is telling. From reading about Cocu’s style of play (someone on here posted a great article), part of it is he likes to break with pace on the counter and end up with 3 on 2 situations. Looks like we’re practising this, Anya could be a perfect fit for this. Wasn’t this how Anya played at Watford in a 3 with Vydra and Forestieri? Give the bloke a chance.

41 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I kind of feel for Anya. He has been nothing but professional and I haven't heard of any rumours of him moaning about not playing etc.

Didn't he refuse to go on loan to Barnsley and try and get the PFA involved? 

May have just been paper rumours but sure I read that somewhere.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't he refuse to go on loan to Barnsley and try and get the PFA involved? 

May have just been paper rumours but sure I read that somewhere.

I can't say I have heard that. 

However everyone deserves a second chance.  Being in the U23's is doing him no good at all.

If it doesn't work out for him then at least he was given that opportunity.

All these rumours around are ridiculous. The “we will have to pay x amount if he plays again” - firstly nobody knows that, secondly everyone said that when he was left out under Rowett but then he played so that rumour clearly wasn’t true but it’s come around again. I heard similar about Marriott when he was suddenly dropped last season. It seems if someone doesn’t play then this gets put out there as the reason. 

Anya may not make it into the first team this season, he may spend a season back with the U23’s or he may leave. He may also fit with the managers plans and play. Who has that much of an axe to grind against a player, who has done nothing bad to anyone, that they object to him training with the rest of the squad and being assessed with the rest of the squad?

no offence to the experts on here but it’s Cocu’s judgement I’ll trust and I’m glad he’s not pre-judging anyone and is looking over the whole squad.

36 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

All these rumours around are ridiculous. The “we will have to pay x amount if he plays again” - firstly nobody knows that, secondly everyone said that when he was left out under Rowett but then he played so that rumour clearly wasn’t true but it’s come around again. I heard similar about Marriott when he was suddenly dropped last season. It seems if someone doesn’t play then this gets put out there as the reason. 

When fans don’t understand why X isn’t playing they throw theories out there on the internet, others pick up on them, throw the same theory out on another platform with “I heard”. 

The rumour gets whipped up cycling round Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Forums to the point where many believe it to be true.

The theories are usually money orientated, it’s a weird contract clause where if X scores 7 goals and 13 games we now have to pay £1m and we can’t afford to.

The clubs owner that sold the player will laugh this off, but still it’s true ya know, I’ve seen it on the internet. Not like the owner would tell the truth and anyway, what does he know?

Or we’re holding on to the managers contract so the compensation ticks over next years FFP.

We’re fans, we’re going to speculate why things are happening, I get that, but why try to peddle it around and claim it as factually what is going on.

You get the feeling we have a large number of fans that get a kick out of painting the club as skint amateurs that can’t scout, negotiate a contract and sell players for the lowest fee offered, feeding off the drama that comes with it.

It’s a bit weird really. 

Archived