Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/07/2019 at 21:17, Dcfcsr92 said:

Alot of people say martin is, people questioned bogle thu the season should we duck him off its all about style of okay give the bloke a chance if cocu is their all our players no matter what! 

alot of people would be right

On 10/07/2019 at 11:49, Gritty said:

I think Anya will get game time in the first couple of pre season games.  And I reckon he'll have so much to prove he'll play a blinder.  Fans will then welcome him back. 

I was at Millwall away under Rowett when Anya came on.  He was best player during his time on pitch and had goal unfairly ruled out for offside.

We don't know why he's been frozen out. But I'd welcome him back if he puts a shift in

^

On 09/07/2019 at 21:04, twinkletoes said:

Anya is garbage get rid and get over it before anyone starts.

no one can tell me anya has brought anythingto Derby

What basis do you make this decision on? A garbage player would not have achieved what he did with Watford.... he hasn’t brought anything to Derby but not exactly had the opportunity... a few weeks after being signed by a manager they left. Was frozen out by everyone who followed.

On 10/07/2019 at 07:09, Ghost of Clough said:

If we’re using ‘clean slate’ for the inclusion of Anya, then why not Blackman or Butterfield?

Anya has a genuine contract as everyone else says, the players would never stay on those terms (hence why Johnson was offered another deal before leaving for Blackburn).

On 10/07/2019 at 09:05, David said:

When fans don’t understand why X isn’t playing they throw theories out there on the internet, others pick up on them, throw the same theory out on another platform with “I heard”. 

The rumour gets whipped up cycling round Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Forums to the point where many believe it to be true.

The theories are usually money orientated, it’s a weird contract clause where if X scores 7 goals and 13 games we now have to pay £1m and we can’t afford to.

The clubs owner that sold the player will laugh this off, but still it’s true ya know, I’ve seen it on the internet. Not like the owner would tell the truth and anyway, what does he know?

Or we’re holding on to the managers contract so the compensation ticks over next years FFP.

We’re fans, we’re going to speculate why things are happening, I get that, but why try to peddle it around and claim it as factually what is going on.

You get the feeling we have a large number of fans that get a kick out of painting the club as skint amateurs that can’t scout, negotiate a contract and sell players for the lowest fee offered, feeding off the drama that comes with it.

It’s a bit weird really. 

I do think it would improve football with more transparency and less rumours for the fans... a lot of them loyally support players blind and disloyally slate some based on rumours. If we knew the full truth would our opinions change both ways...

Anya is such a weird story. He's a perfectly good player. Yet didn't/wouldn't go out on loan. Didn't/wouldn't/couldn't move on a perm. Completely fell off the radar through successive managers even though we were crying out for more effectiveness out wide. Lots of stories, none worth repeating as no idea if they are true.

I've always quite liked him and would love to know whether this "sabbatical" has been enforced or self-inflicted.

36 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Anya is such a weird story. He's a perfectly good player. Yet didn't/wouldn't go out on loan. Didn't/wouldn't/couldn't move on a perm. Completely fell off the radar through successive managers even though we were crying out for more effectiveness out wide. Lots of stories, none worth repeating as no idea if they are true.

I've always quite liked him and would love to know whether this "sabbatical" has been enforced or self-inflicted.

I’ve met him a couple of times; he’s very principled and upright. Maybe influenced by his Agent? We fans often forget...football is our pleasure/hobby but a player’s  way of making a living and their career can end in an instant. 

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Seemed to play as a central midfielder yesterday.  He truly is utility player... Interesting to see can Cocu find him a role in a team. Hope he does, as I'm pretty sure no one will be buying him.

Anya and Thorne supposedly both in the same boat with transfer payments hinging on their next senior appearance. Let's see if Cocu wants to spend his budget on them.

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’ve met him a couple of times; he’s very principled and upright. Maybe influenced by his Agent? We fans often forget...football is our pleasure/hobby but a player’s  way of making a living and their career can end in an instant. 

I’m pretty sure he hasn’t got an agent and represents himself?

I’m fairly sure he’s seriously well qualified and his from a family of surgeons?

Maybe it was a dream,my age and stresss is setting in.

7 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I’m pretty sure he hasn’t got an agent and represents himself?

I’m fairly sure he’s seriously well qualified and his from a family of surgeons?

Maybe it was a dream,my age and stresss is setting in.

You are quite correct - I do recall reading that he represents himself. It's not you @Van Cone De Head, you are still perfectly compis mentis, Sir!

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Anya and Thorne supposedly both in the same boat with transfer payments hinging on their next senior appearance. Let's see if Cocu wants to spend his budget on them.

I mean this is clearly baalocks. Made up by people when they don't know what else it could be. The Anya one was floating around under Rowett and then he made an appearance.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You are quite correct - I do recall reading that he represents himself. It's not you @Van Cone De Head, you are still perfectly compis mentis, Sir!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-leagues-brainiest-footballer-ikechi-6738628.amp

Found it.

Thanks but plenty of witnesses might disagree ?

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed. And there are plenty of professional players out there who don't even really enjoy playing. If it's a case of him not wanting to move because of his contract then fair enough, I've no issue with that. It's up to Derby, who provided him with the contract, to try and make the situation work for the club.

If he doesn't really want to play football anymore I guess we'll know when his contract is up. 

I think it makes sense that a brainy fella negotiated himself a contract that nets him so much he's content not to play ?

If we can get Martin, Thorne and Anya match fit it would be like having three new signings of a good/great standard. 

It's been said by many people on this thread, but I really don't understand why it never worked out for him here. 

He has just been sat in the reserves for years and he is a perfectly good winger at this level who can cover in a variety of positions. 

I really don't see why he shouldn't be competing for a spot in the first team based on his history as a player.

He was never really bad for us - never great, but didn't seem to do anything worthy of being permanently exiled.  

Martin, Anya, whoever-  any player gets a second go in my book - have the right attitude and produce on the pitch. Everything else is about individual fit with a managers philosophy.

(Butters and Blackman didn't produce often enough or consistently enough or lacked some gut busting commitment despite a number of chances)

9 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Indeed. And there are plenty of professional players out there who don't even really enjoy playing. If it's a case of him not wanting to move because of his contract then fair enough, I've no issue with that. It's up to Derby, who provided him with the contract, to try and make the situation work for the club.

If he doesn't really want to play football anymore I guess we'll know when his contract is up. 

Goal celebration in a friendly the other day doesn't point to someone disinterested or having fallen out of love with the game.

Can see it be a standoff of principles... he hasn't exactly been treated well by the club. Probably (if rumours are to be believed) on decent money so difficult to move on without the club paying a large majority of his wages to play for another club. He's probably sitting there frustrated with the club at not really been given a fair chance on what you would assume Pearson promised to attract him from the premiership to the club.

Assuming he is on circa 20-25k as the rumours etc suggest and loan clubs know Derby aren't in a negotiating position with him (in the bomb squad) so offer a measly 5k contribution per week. Would you keep him as a luxury utility player on the books who you can bring in from the cold in an injury disaster or just sheer stubbornness of principle not to let a player go to another club paying 20-25% of his contract? It's not completely impossible... 

I think the odd appearance he's re appeared for end the rumours of contract/transfer clauses still being the reason. It may have been case at some point but he hasn't played enough since to be close to triggering another. Unless it is the world's worse negotiated/ill thought out transfer in that Watford get an obscene amount of money per appearance (if so... why sign him as a first team player under Pearson with such a counter productive clause). Or they had no faith in Pearson from the start and the 4 mill is actually split into 40 ish £100,000 payments! (joking...)

35 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Maybe we simply couldn’t afford those payments ( if true) within our FFP budget for last season 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Martin, Anya, whoever-  any player gets a second go in my book - have the right attitude and produce on the pitch. Everything else is about individual fit with a managers philosophy.

(Butters and Blackman didn't produce often enough or consistently enough or lacked some gut busting commitment despite a number of chances)

It’s not about 2nd chances in my mind it’s about the manager having a look at what they can offer and how they would fit in to team he might want to select - Anya Martin and Thorne are all capable of contributing well with Thorne my only concern with his fitness 

Archived