Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

1 hour ago, WilkoRam said:

All these rumours around are ridiculous. The “we will have to pay x amount if he plays again” - firstly nobody knows that, secondly everyone said that when he was left out under Rowett but then he played so that rumour clearly wasn’t true but it’s come around again. I heard similar about Marriott when he was suddenly dropped last season. It seems if someone doesn’t play then this gets put out there as the reason. 

Anya may not make it into the first team this season, he may spend a season back with the U23’s or he may leave. He may also fit with the managers plans and play. Who has that much of an axe to grind against a player, who has done nothing bad to anyone, that they object to him training with the rest of the squad and being assessed with the rest of the squad?

no offence to the experts on here but it’s Cocu’s judgement I’ll trust and I’m glad he’s not pre-judging anyone and is looking over the whole squad.

In all fairness, wasn’t the Marriott one confirmed by the Peterborough owner?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s a bit odd that he didn’t go in the first place I mean and no explanation was given as to why

Think he is coming off an injury bud. Don't think there's any great conspiracy to be honest. I'm more surprised that Johnson was allowed to leave and Butters to train elsewhere if truth be told. I guess it'll all come out in the wash eventually anyway but

I like the idea that Cocu is intent on forming his own opinions as some recent managers seemed to have written off a few of our lot before seeing them first hand which seems silly and a tad lazy to me.

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think he is coming off an injury bud. Don't think there's any great conspiracy to be honest. I'm more surprised that Johnson was allowed to leave and Butters to train elsewhere if truth be told. I guess it'll all come out in the wash eventually anyway but

I like the idea that Cocu is intent on forming his own opinions as some recent managers seemed to have written off a few of our lot before seeing them first hand which seems silly and a tad lazy to me.

That would make sense, just surprising they wouldn’t mention that in the initial squad listing- they noted the injuries to wisdom and Holmes. I don’t think there’s any conspiracy behind it, just a little unusual and strange because at the moment it almost reads like we changed our mind on him! Tbf we had replaced Johnson with shinnie a while back before he started to come back to form so you can sorta understand that one, butterfield was clearly told he had no role in the first team squad this season hence why he wasn’t taken in the training camp. No surprise he was allowed out on trial when he’s surplus like that. Is a bit strange that we’d give a chance to some players (anya, Martin) and not others like butterfield, but it’s probably to do with these “holding contracts” not really being contracts at all.

Yeah I’d agree with you on the latter point, always think a manager should assess his whole available squad when arriving at the club unless certain players are almost certainly gone already. Means he can make his own decisions on where/ if they fit.

18 minutes ago, rynny said:

How does that compare with other wingers? 

Kinda tricky to find proper wingers in the modern game, with them all rotating into a central position constantly, but here's some attempts, based on last season.

Martial: Assist every 9 games. Goal every 1.8 games

Willian: Assist every 4 games. Goal every 7.5 games.

Iwobi: Assist every 3.5 games. Goal every 7 games.

Zaha's seasonal numbers: Assist every 7 games. Goal every 3.5 games.

He's not among the top tiers like Hazard etc. but he seems to statistically fit in with the "best of the rest" wingers, and probably deserves to be somewhere other than Palace.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Kinda tricky to find proper wingers in the modern game, with them all rotating into a central position constantly, but here's some attempts, based on last season.

Martial: Assist every 9 games. Goal every 1.8 games

Willian: Assist every 4 games. Goal every 7.5 games.

Iwobi: Assist every 3.5 games. Goal every 7 games.

Zaha's seasonal numbers: Assist every 7 games. Goal every 3.5 games.

He's not among the top tiers like Hazard etc. but he seems to statistically fit in with the "best of the rest" wingers, and probably deserves to be somewhere other than Palace.

Exactly what I was expecting tbh 

I think Anya will get game time in the first couple of pre season games.  And I reckon he'll have so much to prove he'll play a blinder.  Fans will then welcome him back. 

I was at Millwall away under Rowett when Anya came on.  He was best player during his time on pitch and had goal unfairly ruled out for offside.

We don't know why he's been frozen out. But I'd welcome him back if he puts a shift in

18 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Surely this is a new manager doing his job correctly by personally running the rule over ALL  potential players.NEW MANAGER NEW SEASON SO WE NEED TO HAVE NO PRECONCEIVED IDEAS ABOUT PLAYERS

We can have all the preconceived ideas about players that we want.

It's the new coaching staff who you don't want to have them.

A change in manager is not going to change any fans opinion in any player until they start using them differently to previous regimes.

4 hours ago, cosmic said:

Featured quite heavily in this video. Three times in a row from the 1 minute mark. Crossing the ball for Martin to score, part of a three man break where Zoon (?) threads a ball through to a Waghorn, then a ridiculously unnecessary quintuple step-over against Fozzy. 

That second clip is telling. From reading about Cocu’s style of play (someone on here posted a great article), part of it is he likes to break with pace on the counter and end up with 3 on 2 situations. Looks like we’re practising this, Anya could be a perfect fit for this. Wasn’t this how Anya played at Watford in a 3 with Vydra and Forestieri? Give the bloke a chance.

He played wing-back at Watford 

Have always thought he is far better than Jozefzoon on what I have seen, so I was imagining money related issues being the reason he's not featured last season. Not saying he's a world beater, but offers more than some other options.

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In all fairness, wasn’t the Marriott one confirmed by the Peterborough owner?

From memory, I think it was the opposite. He denied the rumour. Could be wrong.

Just now, TZM said:

Ah fair enough. Must be another rumour that he denied a few weeks before that.

He did, remember seeing it whilst Marriott wasn’t in the team and rumours circulating it was over an add on that we couldn’t afford.

22 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Tbh Im alright with Cocu having at least a look at Anya;  he can play as a winger or fullback and in my opinion is alot less finished that what I've seen from Martin + Thorne in recent years, but all 3 deserve an opportunity to turn it round so best of luck.

Quite right. I think it’s only right.

However; just wondering what comes next if Coco decides the same as Mac2?, Rowett & Lampard? 

I read that Anya refused to play for U23’s but I can’t believe that?! He’s a nice guy and comes across as a good guy...n’est ce pas? 

Have aways like Anya for his desire to take defenders on.  You could argue that there is a lack of end product but how many times have we wanted someone to try and go past a player but they've just played back to Keogh instead. At least Anya isn't scared to have a go. 

Archived