Anya - not sure what to make of this...

Bill Curry

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HiltonoRama said:

Anya very much reminds me of Zaha (without all the diving) in that he looks great until it comes to doing anything useful with the ball at the end of it.. Arsenal apparently offered £40 million for Zaha so perhaps we should offer him to 

Zaha is a matchwinner

I heard it was issues with his paperwork due to being arrested last time he played for Scotland in the US. He got arrested for impersonating a soccer player as the Yanks would say!

on a serious note. It must be either a further payment to Watford for number of appearances OR a contract extension trigger for games played. After all we seemed to hand them out for fun around that time. Bent, Baird, Hudds to name 3

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I heard it was issues with his paperwork due to being arrested last time he played for Scotland in the US. He got arrested for impersonating a soccer player as the Yanks would say!

on a serious note. It must be either a further payment to Watford for number of appearances OR a contract extension trigger for games played. After all we seemed to hand them out for fun around that time. Bent, Baird, Hudds to name 3

34 would be a very odd number of games to trigger further payments. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

34 would be a very odd number of games to trigger further payments. 

?‍♂️ Signing him full stop for what we did on the contract we gave him was madness so who knows. Could be for 35 league appearances?

10 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

?‍♂️ Signing him full stop for what we did on the contract we gave him was madness so who knows. Could be for 35 league appearances?

£4m for a decent Championship and International utility player who was an important member of a team promoted to the Premier League is not as ridiculous as people make out.

Length of contract was ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, twinkletoes said:

Anya is garbage get rid and get over it before anyone starts.

no one can tell me anya has brought anythingto Derby

Alot of people say martin is, people questioned bogle thu the season should we duck him off its all about style of okay give the bloke a chance if cocu is their all our players no matter what! 

3 hours ago, HiltonoRama said:

Anya very much reminds me of Zaha (without all the diving) in that he looks great until it comes to doing anything useful with the ball at the end of it.. Arsenal apparently offered £40 million for Zaha so perhaps we should offer him to them...

Im not sure you saw much of Zaha last season.....

Arguably one of the best players in the EPL over the last 2 seasons. 

If Anya was half the player he'd be the 1st name on the team sheet every week. 

Anya is a jolly nice chap I'm sure. Jesus wants him for a sunbeam. He's got reasonable football skills, but perhaps now not better than some of our youngsters. But he's just not got the commitment you'd want from a first team player. He's lightweight, he's not gonna commit himself to a 50-50 challenge or a 50-50 anything. Not impressed that he doesn't seem to want to go on loan. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Perhaps there was a problem with his esta and it's now sorted?

With a new manager, everyone should have a chance.

Lampard took everyone on the preseason training camp last season. Afterwards he was ruthless and cut his squad, exiling several players including Anya. And he never went back. Having a smaller, more compact group of players fostered the spirit between them and meant a better pathway for academy players. I think it worked, but it's impossible to know if we'd have been better with players such as Anya, Butterfield, Thorne etc to draw on. I'll be interested to see the approach Cocu takes.

Bullseye ? 

11 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Im not sure you saw much of Zaha last season.....

Arguably one of the best players in the EPL over the last 2 seasons. 

If Anya was half the player he'd be the 1st name on the team sheet every week. 

Saw loads of him over the past several years. Makes a wonder run, either falls over crying or gives the ball away 90% of the time..

His stats;

Premier League Record

Appearances 177

Goals 32

Assists 21

Last season was the first time he reached double figures, his 'assists' record is even worse which means most of the time his undoubted skill is let down by his decision making or his inability to find a teammate in important areas. 

Hardly one of the best players in the premier league..

That is why he reminds me of Anya, he is breathtaking at times but invariably gives it away..

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Might this simply be a case of Cocu thinking, 'well he's not going anywhwere so let's have a look at him?' We might be reading far too much into the whole thing tbh.

Also, as @i-Ram pointed out, he's nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. He just isn't. Why we have to label every player brilliant or shoite on here I'll never fathom.

Absolutely agree with this and I have to admire cocu for his single minded attitude to making his own mind up about the players.

Whenever I saw Anya I thought he was pretty decent but we struggled to find the correct position for him.

Good luck to him and if we can find a role for him that he is good at then it's money saved from buying another player in.

16 minutes ago, HiltonoRama said:

Saw loads of him over the past several years. Makes a wonder run, either falls over crying or gives the ball away 90% of the time..

His stats;

Premier League Record

Appearances 177

Goals 32

Assists 21

Last season was the first time he reached double figures, his 'assists' record is even worse which means most of the time his undoubted skill is let down by his decision making or his inability to find a teammate in important areas. 

That is why he reminds me of Anya, he is breathtaking at times but invariably gives it away..

Sets up or scores a goal just over every 3 games. I would say that is good for a player at Crystal Palace. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Also, as @i-Ram pointed out, he's nowhere near as bad a player as some make out. He just isn't. Why we have to label every player brilliant or shoite on here I'll never fathom.

Yeah everyone has different attributes, some more effective or promising than others. Anya just hasn’t wowed many of us.

Saying that maybe we just need a Claude Davis category ?

19 minutes ago, HiltonoRama said:

His stats;

Premier League Record

Appearances 177

Goals 32

Assists 21

He was almost a 1 man attack at times.

Hodgsons not exactly an all out attacking manager.

Im not sure even Eden Hazard would be able to provide assists for Benteke, Wickham and Batshuayi. 10 goals and 5 assists in that team is a good effort.

I like him, and he will go to a bigger club soon. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Am I missing something here or have we made a threat to discuss that one of our players is training with us?

Not on this forum, we don't do threats. It's all love, peace and Edam over here my friend.

Archived