Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EnigmaRam

UEFA U21 Championship

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He was playing, but almost invisible - really bad in fairness. 

Was he? Only turned on as they scored to make it 2-1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boycie said:

Was he? Only turned on as they scored to make it 2-1

He started the game - he did set up Abraham, but only just realised. At one point he was walking around in circles and made a small useless pass to the full back. It was very Paul Thirlwell-esque. 

He didn't do himself many favours, looked to hide more than the others. 

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He was playing, but almost invisible - really bad in fairness. 

Didn't think he was that bad, certainly not as anonymous and poor as Madison. He attempted to run with the ball, had a decent shot and linked up with Foden.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't think he was that bad, certainly not as anonymous and poor as Madison. He attempted to run with the ball, had a decent shot and linked up with Foden.

I watched most of the game - Mount was one of the better players - kept trying to push the team forward and was neat and tidy. Also was disciplined in his positional play - unlike a lot of the other players. Maddison was shockingly poor - kept losing the ball and making wrong decisions - as was Gray other than the last 15 minutes after his goal. A lot of the squad seem to have believed the hype about how brilliant they are - add that to Bothroyd's awful team selection and non-existent tactics and we got what we deserved.....

Share this post


Link to post

Add to the thought mount wasn’t that bad... he was played in a role he was not suited to as well because Boothroyd is an idiot. Whole team setup was horrendous, gaps where there shouldn’t have been, movement into positions that were no use, no organisation, wasting players talents by awful tactics. And that’s not even to mention not putting the best team out. Proper shambles that was. This is what’s holding our national team back. Idiots like him in charge of the teams. Talents there now isthmus all the investment and good coaching at club level. Wasted because the FA wouldn’t know a decent manager if it smacked them in the face. Even Southgate ain’t that great, held up by Steve Holland imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Just seen Tomori's attempt at a clearance again - why was Boothroyd playing him on the side of the centre-half pairing he's not played all season? No wonder he got his feet mixed up.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just seen Tomori's attempt at a clearance again - why was Boothroyd playing him on the side of the centre-half pairing he's not played all season? No wonder he got his feet mixed up.

He played him there both games. 

To be fair, I thought the problems were elsewhere. Lack of balance and discipline in midfield and poor right backs in both games.

I thought Bogle was behind a long list of great young English right backs? Where are they then? 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, angieram said:

He played him there both games. 

To be fair, I thought the problems were elsewhere. Lack of balance and discipline in midfield and poor right backs in both games.

I thought Bogle was behind a long list of great young English right backs? Where are they then? 

Yeah I forgot to say about Tomori last game. If a manager played a right back at left back and expected the same 'player' fans/critics would laugh but with centre halves its okay?!

I thought the left back was worse than the right back tbh, but yeah I guess neither of ours play for a big club cos both Lowe and Bogle are better than the ones Boothroyd picked and played!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I forgot to say about Tomori last game. If a manager played a right back at left back and expected the same 'player' fans/critics would laugh but with centre halves its okay?!

I thought the left back was worse than the right back tbh, but yeah I guess neither of ours play for a big club cos both Lowe and Bogle are better than the ones Boothroyd picked and played!

Wan Bissaka was awful in the first game but by all accounts has been tremendous this season. 

Tomori has been pretty poor in both games.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wan Bissaka was awful in the first game but by all accounts has been tremendous this season. 

Tomori has been pretty poor in both games.

Tomori was actually very good in both games (probably the pick of the defensive players) - but (big BUT) he made a couple of mistakes that led to goals - though has already been said, he was playing right-side centre-half and had virtually no protection from the midfiled. Choudrey in the first game (great desire to win the ball, but no discipline to stay in position) and (I think - hard to tell from the set-up of the team) Madison in the 2nd game who simply can't play defensive-mid - quite how we ended up going into a big tournament with only one defensive midfielder is enough of a reason to sack the clueless Boothroyd.....

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He started the game - he did set up Abraham, but only just realised. At one point he was walking around in circles and made a small useless pass to the full back. It was very Paul Thirlwell-esque. 

He didn't do himself many favours, looked to hide more than the others. 

Disagree. The intent ( Boothroyds masterplan Im guessing) was to run everything by Maddison, who was awful, therefore render anyone else in midield a bystander. 

As bad a performance by any level of England team that I have seen since Iceland defeat. Shocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

It’s no surprise we have been sent home packing already. It’s an attitude problem. No-one cares.

This tournament was never a priority. The under 21s are an afterthought for everyone concerned. Players, coaches, fans. These tournaments are viewed as inconsequential. The fact that we have Aidy Boothroyd in charge and our most prominent young players are nowhere near the squad should tell you that much.

For a lot of these players, once they get their first cap at senior level, invariably they think they have made it. There is no looking back - they are suddenly beneath playing for the under 21s, so we are already up against it.

The attitude is different with some other countries. You only have to look at that picture circulating - the one of the Italians belting out the national anthem pre-game - to see how much it means to represent their country at any level.

Some countries show us the way. France, Spain and Italy, for example. Yes, their pool of talent is greater, but so too is their attitude. 

They set out to take the best players available to them because they see the value of winning such a tournament.

When a tournament like this comes around, they build their squads around players with top level experience, players who have broken into top teams and played a significant amount of first team football in their respective top divisions. 

Look at Italy. All of their best prospects - Meret, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Barella, Chiesa and Kean - are at the tournament. Look at Spain who have Ruiz, Fornals and Ceballos willing to play, and the likes of Asensio and Saul who came before them. Look at Romania - they started with nine full internationals!

We just don’t take these tournaments seriously and until we do, not much will change.

Edited by Jourdan

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s no surprise we have been sent home packing already. It’s an attitude problem. No-one cares.

This tournament was never a priority. The under 21s are an afterthought for everyone concerned. Players, coaches, fans. These tournaments are viewed as inconsequential. The fact that we have Aidy Boothroyd in charge and our most prominent young players are nowhere near the squad should tell you that much.

For a lot of these players, once they get their first cap at senior level, invariably they think they have made it. There is no looking back - they are suddenly beneath playing for the under 21s, so we are already up against it.

The attitude is different with some other countries. You only have to look at that picture circulating - the one of the Italians belting out the national anthem pre-game - to see how much it means to represent their country at any level.

Some countries show us the way. France, Spain and Italy, for example. Yes, their pool of talent is greater, but so too is their attitude. 

They set out to take the best players available to them because they see the value of winning such a tournament.

When a tournament like this comes around, they build their squads around players with top level experience, players who have broken into top teams and played a significant amount of first team football in their respective top divisions. 

Look at Italy. All of their best prospects - Meret, Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Barella, Chiesa and Kean - are at the tournament. Look at Spain who have Ruiz, Fornals and Ceballos willing to play, and the likes of Asensio and Saul who came before them. Look at Romania - they started with nine full internationals!

We just don’t take these tournaments seriously and until we do, not much will change.

But didn’t we stop certain players being selected for the nations league final squad, specifically so that they could play in this tournament instead. In hindsight, probably not a good idea. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.