Leeds fans negative about playoff hopes

froggg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Hull in the 15/16 2nd leg semi playoffs in a prime example. I remember Johnny, Martin and Bryson going very close at 2-0. 

I remember Bryson miskicking at a cross and that was it as far as opportunities at 2-0 down.

Can you show me a clip of 'very close' please?

I have a theory about this seasons " very good " Leeds team. 

They started off at a real high tempo pace. Bielsa football if you like. That first game v Derby they looked like another Wolves in the making. However, to keep this tempo up and high ( Man City type) tempo all season you needs players who can sustain it. There is a marked difference between Citeh players and Leeds. They have run out of gas basically and some players ( cooper, Jansson, Ayling, Phillips, Roofe, Klitch) just not good enough to keep it up. 

Bielsas biggest job this week is convincing them to be the same team that beat Derby early doors. Not be the team losing to Ipswich. Thats going to be tough. 

TobyWanKenobi
15 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I don’t think comments like this inspire confidence 

Bielsa said: “What I can tell you is I lost all the finals – apart from the final of the Olympics.”

If Frank had made similar comments, the usual suspects would be on here wanting him sacked!

Just now, StockholmRam said:

Bielsas biggest job this week is convincing them to be the same team that beat Derby early doors. Not be the team losing to Ipswich. Thats going to be tough. 

It’s going to be tough when he’s recently said this:

”Remember what I am going to say right now because you will be able to verify it: you won't have one single player of our team who would re-produce the same performance, being that constant, in another season because we have been very demanding with them and they gave everything”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6964765/Marcelo-Bielsa-warns-never-Leeds-Premier-League-dream.html

Maybe it’s a little bit of reverse psychology, hoping the players go out and prove him wrong, don’t know. All this and the I’ve lost all but one finals is a strange way to talk before the play offs.

Think he’ll walk if they don’t go up.

7 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I have a theory about this seasons " very good " Leeds team. 

They started off at a real high tempo pace. Bielsa football if you like. That first game v Derby they looked like another Wolves in the making. However, to keep this tempo up and high ( Man City type) tempo all season you needs players who can sustain it. There is a marked difference between Citeh players and Leeds. They have run out of gas basically and some players ( cooper, Jansson, Ayling, Phillips, Roofe, Klitch) just not good enough to keep it up. 

From listening to different Leeds opionins/ex Bielsa players etc, the mental fatigue seems to be a bigger problem than the physical. Such massive intensity all the time can be difficult to take. Bielsa himself has already said some of the players won't be able to cope next season regardless of promotion or not.

There must be a reason why everyone raves about Bielsa but he rarely wins anything.

I would imagine Frank would give the lads a few days off if we beat Leeds. If they get thru, they'll probably be training all day Thursday.

58 minutes ago, David said:

It’s going to be tough when he’s recently said this:

”Remember what I am going to say right now because you will be able to verify it: you won't have one single player of our team who would re-produce the same performance, being that constant, in another season because we have been very demanding with them and they gave everything”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6964765/Marcelo-Bielsa-warns-never-Leeds-Premier-League-dream.html

Maybe it’s a little bit of reverse psychology, hoping the players go out and prove him wrong, don’t know. All this and the I’ve lost all but one finals is a strange way to talk before the play offs.

Think he’ll walk if they don’t go up.

I just think you need much better players, physically, ability and mentally than Leeds current crop. 

You can tell an average nag at the start of the grand national " you are Red Rum..off you go out of the traps"... and of course the horse goes like the clappers as its told for half the race then just fades. 

10 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I just think you need much better players, physically, ability and mentally than Leeds current crop. 

You can tell an average nag at the start of the grand national " you are Red Rum..off you go out of the traps"... and of course the horse goes like the clappers as its told for half the race then just fades. 

Or when your missus says you WILL last more than a minute this time darling, and 30 seconds in your lighting a cigarette 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

From listening to different Leeds opionins/ex Bielsa players etc, the mental fatigue seems to be a bigger problem than the physical. Such massive intensity all the time can be difficult to take. Bielsa himself has already said some of the players won't be able to cope next season regardless of promotion or not.

There must be a reason why everyone raves about Bielsa but he rarely wins anything.

I would imagine Frank would give the lads a few days off if we beat Leeds. If they get thru, they'll probably be training all day Thursday.

Cloughie would jet them off to Majorca! A few days on the beach does ‘em the world of good!

Just for my own interest, I had a look at the lineups for the two games where they beat us comfortably

The spine of their team was the same both times

Peacock-Farrell
Ayling
Cooper
Alioski
Hernández
Klich
Roofe

Since then the only big change to that team base is that the youngster Peacock-Farrell has been replaced in goal by 32 year old Casilla from Spain (who signed on a 4.5 year deal!??!) - their results seem to have dipped since he started playing. Could be coincidence

As for our line up in those two games - weirdly both games had Wisdom/Lowe at full back. Bryson also played both games in midfield, and Carson in goal obviously.

So compared to the "best XI" that finished the season so strongly there will be quite a few changes for us. I don't think a Leeds victory is the foregone conclusion I thought it was...

COYR!!

If I was a Leeds fan I'd be licking my lips at the thought of playing a side they've comfortably dispatched twice already with the minimum of fuss.

Frankly if they don't turn us over these next 2, they're the biggest bottlers this league has ever seen.

24 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If I was a Leeds fan I'd be licking my lips at the thought of playing a side they've comfortably dispatched twice already with the minimum of fuss.

Frankly if they don't turn us over these next 2, they're the biggest bottlers this league has ever seen.

True.... but they clearly dont feel the same....? 

Plus they did that after spying on us, and it was still at a time when FL was changing the starting XI quite alot so there was no real "team".... whereas now we are starting the same XI with fewer changes and have been playing well. 

3 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

True.... but they clearly dont feel the same....? 

Plus they did that after spying on us, and it was still at a time when FL was changing the starting XI quite alot so there was no real "team".... whereas now we are starting the same XI with fewer changes and have been playing well. 

I'm not convinced the spying helped them that much, we've attempted to  play the same way pretty much regardless of who's in or out the team, it's just the effectiveness that's changed.

I'm not saying I'm expecting the games to pan out the same way, but there seems to be a narrative that somehow Leeds go into the matches as slight underdogs, but the evidence of my own eyes suggest they should be heavy favourites to progress.

Even in the controversial match Vs Villa, they gave them a far harder game than we've managed to do this season.

If we were playing WBA, I'd have booked train tickets to Wembley by now, using the same measure.

I’m convinced it gave them an advantage, otherwise Bielsa wouldn’t have done it prior to each game they played. 

I don’t buy this I’m just obsessed, look at my analysis, didn’t even need it not having it at all, that little stunt was for the EFL to go easy on them, which you can argue they did. They won’t though as they cry conspiracy.

The question will always be, how many points did that advantage translate into? It’s really difficult to answer that question. 

Despite playing some of the best football the Championship has seen this season, if they go up it would be a travesty given the circumstances. 

Archived