Bolton Strike, what could be the consequences?

ram59

Bolton's home game against Brentford has been called off because of a players' strike. 

If Bolton fail to complete the season, will all previous results be nullified? 

If so the following clubs will lose points

Villa  6pts

Derby 3pts

Boro  6pts

Bristol City  4 points

The EFL will need to sort this out quickly as we're only a week from deciding the play offs. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Bolton's home game against Brentford has been called off because of a players' strike. 

If Bolton fail to complete the season, will all previous results be nullified? 

If so the following clubs will lose points

Villa  6pts

Derby 3pts

Boro  6pts

Bristol City  4 points

The EFL will need to sort this out quickly as we're only a week from deciding the play offs. 

I think it's only if they stop being a member of the league prior to the end of the season that their games are voided, so they would need to either be expelled or liquidated for that to happen. I should imagine that the consequence as is would be that Brentford (and if the strike continues Forest) would just be awarded walkover victories with Bolton being fined and/or deducted points for failing to play these games.

Personally, I don't hope they get expelled, but I do hope that if they are expelled that it happens before the season's end.

16 minutes ago, JfR said:

I think it's only if they stop being a member of the league prior to the end of the season that their games are voided, so they would need to either be expelled or liquidated for that to happen. I should imagine that the consequence as is would be that Brentford (and if the strike continues Forest) would just be awarded walkover victories with Bolton being fined and/or deducted points for failing to play these games.

Personally, I don't hope they get expelled, but I do hope that if they are expelled that it happens before the season's end.

This

It's fortunate for the League that very little is at stake regarding Bolton's final 2 games. So they will likely take the path of least resistance and award walkover rather than risk affecting the promotion and relegation places. 

But it looks as if the removal of all their fixtures benefits us the most since Swansea & Sheff Wed also took 6 pts off Bolton. 

In the race for the automatics, Norwich, Sheff Utd and Leeds all also took 6 points off Bolton. 

So if the League wanted to do us a favour, there is a way. Perhaps if the Bristol City conspiracy theories are true, Sky will pay the EFL to void all of Bolton's games? 

39 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's fortunate for the League that very little is at stake regarding Bolton's final 2 games. So they will likely take the path of least resistance and award walkover rather than risk affecting the promotion and relegation places. 

But it looks as if the removal of all their fixtures benefits us the most since Swansea & Sheff Wed also took 6 pts off Bolton. 

In the race for the automatics, Norwich, Sheff Utd and Leeds all also took 6 points off Bolton. 

So if the League wanted to do us a favour, there is a way. Perhaps if the Bristol City conspiracy theories are true, Sky will pay the EFL to void all of Bolton's games? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

What are these conspiracy theories? 

So......... If Bolton's games are voided and we win our last 3 games, then we finish 5th and play West Brom in the play-off semis, while Villa would meet Leeds, while Brizzle and poor Ickle Stevey's Boro would miss out altogether. 

IMO, as far as conspiracy theories go, this wipes the floor with all that lunar landing balls. Just imagine the ensuing Gibbo meltdown....

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Big decisions for the EFL who haven't allowed the new proposed owner to take over due to questionable funding issues and previous disqualification - either follow the rules or watch a football club cease to exist - in the meantime supporters suppliers and taxes are not getting anything but as you say the EFL will try to limp Bolton over the final fixture weekend somehow. ( might not stop the odd legal challenge against the EFL if a club could benefit - cough cough Derby or Bristol )

6 hours ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

What are these conspiracy theories? 

If you go on their message board websites you'll see that some, probably a tiny minority, genuinely believe the EFL, Premier League, Sky and match officials are corrupt in favour of the "bigger more fashionable" clubs such as ourseleves I believe.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If you go on their message board websites you'll see that some, probably a tiny minority, genuinely believe the EFL, Premier League, Sky and match officials are corrupt in favour of the "bigger more fashionable" clubs such as ourseleves I believe.

They obviously haven't seen the performances from some of the referees we've had this season, then!

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I dont really class ourselves as bigger or more fashionable, always thought we seemed 2nd class in the EFL/FA eyes.

But yes I would agreed the 'Authorities' whomever they maybe do favour more fashionable clubs, you only have to look at the West Ham/Sheff Utd debacle years ago, had it been the other way round I am sure that Sheff Utd would have been docked enough points to keep West Ham up.

Likewise Spurs this year and their stadium debacle. Had this been us no way would the league have allowed us to play our home games in 3 stadiums in the period of one season.

Might be being a tad naive on the details but I think the players are handling this badly and not exactly respecting the fans (though many could say their performance against us was another example of that) by making such a statement on their club so close to the end of the season. Why not play the last two games then sort it out in the summer? Best case - they settle on back dated wages. Worst case - the poor mites lose out on enough money to buy another 300 paris of trainers but get released to negotiate a new move over the summer.

21 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Might be being a tad naive on the details but I think the players are handling this badly and not exactly respecting the fans (though many could say their performance against us was another example of that) by making such a statement on their club so close to the end of the season. Why not play the last two games then sort it out in the summer? Best case - they settle on back dated wages. Worst case - the poor mites lose out on enough money to buy another 300 paris of trainers but get released to negotiate a new move over the summer.

The players are not playing because no one has been paid.  Ground staff, admin, ticket office, etc., normal people on normal wages with bills to pay.

Archived