The Politics Thread 2019

Day

4 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Literally never heard of this happening. Is it even a thing?

OK, maybe his employers don't tell him that in as many words but pretty much every salary calculation is done on real income calculations so, yes. Absolutely - remember, we're all in this together.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There are a lot of private landlords who have a single property that could be affected. I don't understand why investing in your future is a bad thing.

People seem to find it offensive. 

I will either pass the cost onto my tenants, which is not good for them or i will sell up, which is also not good for them.

Economically, investing is intended to increase productive capacity. Eg put spare capital into a factory 

Allocating capital to housing is not - economically - "investing" as a house is not a factor of production in the way a factory or mine is. You'd probably like to argue that no houses = no workforce and so it is economically rational. But I think the issue is that the buy to let market has not of itself increased the supply of housing, but merely reallocated existing economic resources.

But I don't blame you for wanting to earn a return on your spare assets.

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

As Liz Truss will tell you, planning to build the homes is the easy bit. 

She could have rebuffed that if she'd had the intelligence or knowledge to do so.

The quality of some of our MP's makes me want to weep. Or become an MP.

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

OK, maybe his employers don't tell him that in as many words but pretty much every salary calculation is done on real income calculations so, yes. Absolutely - remember, we're all in this together.

Well I'm genuinely relieved that it may not actually happen.

We haven't had a pay rise in 2 1/2 years but that's because the company is skint (largely due to Brexit uncertainty). If that was ever given as a reason, we'd all be leaving ASAP.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Economically, investing is intended to increase productive capacity. Eg put spare capital into a factory 

Allocating capital to housing is not - economically - "investing" as a house is not a factor of production in the way a factory or mine is. You'd probably like to argue that no houses = no workforce and so it is economically rational. But I think the issue is that the buy to let market has not of itself increased the supply of housing, but merely reallocated existing economic resources.

But I don't blame you for wanting to earn a return on your spare assets.

Right now I earn a little not much. 

Obviously the long term aim is to have an asset to fall back on as despite paying into private pensions for decades I have no confidence that these are going to be worth much to me.

I am probably one of the lucky ones who has only a small mortgage on the property, it wasn't purchased as a buy to let but when we moved we kept it on.

Even with a smaller Mortgage the earnings aren't great. There are regular outgoings to maintain/fix the property which we always do as obviously we want our tenants to be happy where they are, and also encourage them to also look after the property.

Last time our tenants moved out we could have smashed the security bond and more as it was left in a filthy state, but we didn't we spent a weekend of hard graft scrubbing it from top to bottom and doing some redecoration. 

If of course we will be expected to pay additional taxes, as well as the supposed progressive tax then it will become impractical to continue to rent, unless of course the costs are passed on to the tenant.

I may be wrong and maybe this is being aimed at the landlords who buy multiple properties on interest only and are happy to leave their tenants living in rubbish homes while extracting as much money as possible. I do think however it will probably end up being the likes of me, who i consider to be a good landlord, that find themselves being forced to sell up. 

44 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You are blocked but I had a peek and here goes. Your question was why reducing employee taxes benefits employers.

YEAR ONE: Mike earns £50k but pay 20% tax so takes home £40k. In the election the winning party agrees to not charge any tax on the first £10k

YEAR TWO: Mike earns £50k but pays 20% only on £40k so takes home £42k. Mike is happy as he is £2k better off. Indeed everyone in the country earns an extra £2k as it is a blanket deal. Tax back to the government is down by £8k.

YEAR THREE: Mike was expecting a pay rise of 3% but his employers tell him that his real take home pay has gone up by £2k so in real terms he's better off so no pay rises this year. Mike also finds out that as he has more money in his pocket (Keynesian economics) the price of his weekly shop has gone up by 2% due to general inflation. So Mike is effectively around 5% worse off than he would have been. Employers are 3% more profitable (wrt to Mike), 2% more profitable (wrt inflation). Tax back to the government is down by £8k.

YEAR FOUR: And so on.....

YEAR FIVE: Mike's wife is baking cookies for the school fayre because they can't afford books for the children to write on and have their funds cut by £32k in the past four years (OK - a bit dramatic but intended for illustration)

I've never known any employer to hold salary negotiations based on net pay.

33 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Literally never heard of this happening. Is it even a thing?

I suppose it's not unthinkable given that an awful lot of employers are pretty unscrupulous when it comes to maximising profit (and for balance plenty do actually care for their staff)

The other scenario is the one where the employee sees his take home pay increase slightly year on year if NI and tax thresholds move - so he feels less inclined to hassle his boss for a rise 

55 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There are a lot of private landlords who have a single property that could be affected. I don't understand why investing in your future is a bad thing.

Private landlords with one property are not the issue - and I'd advocate for any changes to exclude people in that bracket. It's when people start building portfolios of multiple property, living off unearned income, driving up prices and not investing in housing standards for their tenants that it needs sorting.

Although thinking about it - the fact we are in a position where buying property is seen as "investing in your future" is indicative of the whole housing mess. Spiralling house prices beating inflation and other investment returns is to blame for a lot of things. 

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Dicks like this

EJ01L2tXYAUC-sc?format=jpg&name=medium

We try and not touch the security deposit as much as possible if a tenant leaves. We have had 3 leave over the years. Each time had we chosen we could have had professional cleaners in as they have always been left filthy. However we have not done so and have scrubbed it from top to bottom ourselves.

I think you have to expect that the tenant will not look after it like they would their own. We have however retained a small amount if something like the oven has been left in a state which needs professionals in. We have never retained any money though which we have not had to pay out to someone to remedy something.

We have always given them the opportunity to remedy themselves but its never been taken advantage of. 

Got my "vote for me!" letter from Mr. Graves of the Brexit party. Some thoughts:

Big fan of writing the word 'all' in bold text when talking about the people of Derby he'd be representing. Just so we're sure.

I'm curious as to which business in Pride Park he is an owner of.

Approve of the (always seemingly necessary) political-sounding confrontational gibberish, "The Liberal Democrats (who are neither liberal nor democratic)"

Great decision to print it on thin laminate paper (for the "I'm voting this buffoon" poster on the reverse side) to raise uncertainty over it's recycle-ability, forcing me to put it in the normal bin.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

The quality of some of our MP's makes me want to weep. Or become an MP.

Amen to that. I despised Thatcher, Tebbitt, Joseph with every fibre in my body but at least they were good politicians - cold, heartless and ruthless - but they had a plan, could put forward an argument and make a case. I kind of miss them....

42 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Who’s going to address the bricks and timber shortage to build 100 k homes a year and whose going to train the builders. 

Another policy not thought through by Corbyn 

And might explain why the Tories failed to deliver on their similar promise.

Besides, once we've sent them all back we'll have room for all (liebensraum as you might say). Which is just as well coz all the people who were going to build the houses will be gone.

Archived