Graeme Shinnie - Signed on 3 year deal

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Does he play as one of 2 DMs or by himself?

Aberdeen seem to prefer to play with 2 DMs, but they've played a number of games with him as the lone DM, so looks like he can do either. Most of the ones where he's in a 2 though place him alongside players that are more recognisably CMs, so it seems like a similar system to one that we've used a lot, where Holmes or Bryson have often filled a role that on paper places them next to Johnson or Huddlestone but with license to move up next to Mount or Wilson when necessary. 

Really like this, reminds of the good side of Nigel Clough.

- entering his prime

- from a lower (well a lesser) division so has something to prove

- captain of his current side

- low risk, fairly cheap

Clough signed players like this a few times with the likes of Bryson, Shackell and kind of with Russell.

That Johnny Russell interview from a few weeks back spoke about how the dressing room was just full of players itching to prove themselves and achieve something at Derby, there weren’t any egos. Chuck in a bit of talent and that  became the foundation of a team that ended up being successful and deserved to be promoted.

Let’s hope he’s more of a Bryson than a Chris Maguire though.

An honest hard working player who will give his all. Not a great talker on the pitch but leads by example.

Be prepared for a lot of yellow cards, his tackling can be a bit reckless and his passing can blow hot or cold. 

He's not really a Defensive sitting midfielder, more a box to box type who can tackle. If Im being honest, there's a lot of people who say hes a better left back than midfielder. 

In his hayday, Brysons finishing and knowing when to arrive on the box is better than Greame's.

Hopefully he has a cup winners medal in his pocket when he comes down in the summer. 

Funny we are all experts on Aberdeen now, when in fact the only time we’ve heard about the place is in a Hungry Horse pub menu when it describes where my steak has come from 

42 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Funny we are all experts on Aberdeen now, when in fact the only time we’ve heard about the place is in a Hungry Horse pub menu when it describes where my steak has come from 

I've had a meal in the wetherspoons in Aberdeen.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

I've had a meal in the wetherspoons in Aberdeen.

You are now the official forum expert ?

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wages shouldn’t be huge so a decent start to the window for me if this goes through, we’re desperately short of cover in cm

Agree

Next season in CM we should have the following contracted to us:

Huddlestone, Thorne, Evans, Bird, Holmes (can play there)

I can't see Thorne playing for us again so he'll be out on loan if we can shift him somehow. So Huddz, Shinnie and Holmes as starters with Evans and Bird as youngsters coming through in support. We'll probably look to get one more midfielder in on loan I think

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Aberdeen Angus is a breed of cattle not where a cow called Angus once lived. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

An honest hard working player who will give his all. Not a great talker on the pitch but leads by example.

Be prepared for a lot of yellow cards, his tackling can be a bit reckless and his passing can blow hot or cold. 

He's not really a Defensive sitting midfielder, more a box to box type who can tackle. If Im being honest, there's a lot of people who say hes a better left back than midfielder. 

In his hayday, Brysons finishing and knowing when to arrive on the box is better than Greame's.

Hopefully he has a cup winners medal in his pocket when he comes down in the summer. 

Thanks for the inside view. The first bit got me juiced up but you then went on to describe an average player with no clear strengths...

21 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Thanks for the inside view. The first bit got me juiced up but you then went on to describe an average player with no clear strengths...

No problem, if he fetches and carries and lets others play then he could be an asset. 

Archived