Players wages

Poynton ram

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

If Waghorn is anything to go on we've not learnt that much in our scouting/contracts dept?

What I would say about Waghorn, in comparison to past buys, is that he's clearly a very technical and talented player. This is a good example...

The issue Waghorn has had at Derby is that he's not been supplied in the right positions. You are tested to get your best players in the best areas on the pitch to cause the most damage. No doubt in my mind that technically he's our best forward. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Players, thought we had got rid of the troublemakers?

This is how stupid rumours start! I’ve listened to his post match interview 3/4 times and what he actually said was that results like the Aston Villa trouncing do happen and that “people tend to concentrate on the negatives” and that some of these people are “close to the club”.To me ,that infers possibly a certain local radio station,especially the “moan in!” on a Monday night or,even certain groups of “fans” on social media who seem to take a constant delight in spewing out unhelpful and unconstructive comments.It would help if people correctly referenced comments before the Chinese whispers kick in!?

too much emotion in to what players earn nowadays.......footballer always get paid well!! and fair play to them getting in a position to negotiate terms

I don't ask the man next to me what he earns.....

never any of this back in the day - when we enticed Charlie George away from London, Franny Lee etc.........or gave Peter Shilton a big three year contract to end his career with us - no talk on it at all

get over it

On 06/03/2019 at 17:09, TuffLuff said:

Ah just what we need, a thread where people can make any wild guess they desire to which people can try and make fact to knock a playerthey dislike.

@David made a good post earlier about taking responsibility about what gets posted online on here and how many read  this forum. This is just guesswork and people wanting to stir, it’s wrong and crass

Over reaction or what?

Does anybody know for sure? No...so people are speculating...which we are all aware of, no one is burning effigies of them. 

Does it matter? Well personally speaking, if Butterfield had come on a free transfer and was on 2k a week.... then no he wouldnt be any better a player, but I would be less desperare to get him off the books and more patient when he had underperformed. Likewise if Mason Bennett is on 50k a week, then my "oh he's potentially a prospect, no rush to move him on, let's give him time from the bench" view would change. 

I love an analogy... but come on... you can't compare it to knowing what a restaurant or whatever pays its staff. Unless you spend hundreds of pounds in that restaurant, check who is working there each week and refuse to eat in any other restaurant.. plus if they were earning 30k a week I would be very interested!

29 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Over reaction or what?

Does anybody know for sure? No...so people are speculating...which we are all aware of, no one is burning effigies of them. 

Does it matter? Well personally speaking, if Butterfield had come on a free transfer and was on 2k a week.... then no he wouldnt be any better a player, but I would be less desperare to get him off the books and more patient when he had underperformed. Likewise if Mason Bennett is on 50k a week, then my "oh he's potentially a prospect, no rush to move him on, let's give him time from the bench" view would change. 

I love an analogy... but come on... you can't compare it to knowing what a restaurant or whatever pays its staff. Unless you spend hundreds of pounds in that restaurant, check who is working there each week and refuse to eat in any other restaurant.. plus if they were earning 30k a week I would be very interested!

Meh, as posted earlier we can all guess what they are roughly going to be on. Why make it personal about each individual player unless you are doing it in a negative light? If that’s speculation then that is pretty low.

Ofcourse your Butterfield example is correct in a sense, but common sense tells you that and not a wild guess (also why would you have a player who cost £5mill on £2k a week? His agent would need sacking!)

Your restaurant analogy, the only time anyone cares what they earn is when they aren’t earning enough or below minimum wage! Aside that aslong as I get a good meal its none of my business how much a restaurant wants to pay its staff over the basic rate of pay?

Thing is this isn’t ‘Terry down the pub heard from a steward’ stuff, hundreds come on here and ‘I heard’ becomes ‘i saw online’ becomes fact in third hand down the line. There was already a post before mine speculating a players wage out of nothing only to try and wind up others of which he’s done before. You might see it all as speculation or tabloid gossip but that doesn’t mean everyone sees it like that.

Your issue seems to be with the attitude of some of the more negative fans towards the players... rather than the principle of what wages players are on, and is this worth discussion and comparison....Which I think it is.

..eg.. if Ashley Cole is on say 5-10k and basically doing Frank a bit of a deal and lending his experience and getting a bit of coaching in.. great.  If he is on 30k and then the feeling is more it is an old mate getting a gig, and I am less impressed.

This prudish-ness about wages is only because there is probably not that much disparity.... if you followed a Premier League team they are constantly speculating about wages...players are in demanding more (Ozil), re-negotiating contracts (Rashford) talking about 'wage ceilings' (Spurs), paying bigger wages as in on free (Sanchez).... we don't really discuss wages that much here is my honest opinion. 

23 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Don't see why its public interest just because we might buy a season ticket or go to some games.

If you eat out do you demand to know what the restaurant manager earns or the staff? Should we be allowed to know just because we pay them for a service?

Should i demand @David declares his earnings from running this website because i choose to visit it therefore attracting advertising revenue?  

None of my business in my opinion what anyone earns other than me and my wife.

Personally I dont equate following Derby County with going to a restaurant but who is to say you are not right in doing so ?  For me it is more than a bit different. 

But that  is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I just dont share it, I'm afraid. 

Im not bothered what players earn... obviously i dont want the club to end up like portsmouth but its not my money & if the club can afford it then im not bothered... can pay them all £200k a week if we are winning & the club can afford it  

On 07/03/2019 at 20:00, BobbyD said:

Personally I dont equate following Derby County with going to a restaurant but who is to say you are not right in doing so ?  For me it is more than a bit different. 

But that  is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I just dont share it, I'm afraid. 

Agreed. It's more like going to a kebab house

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Im not bothered what players earn... obviously i dont want the club to end up like portsmouth but its not my money & if the club can afford it then im not bothered... can pay them all £200k a week if we are winning & the club can afford it  

You could post this on any discussion though.... eg performance or results which is more important, does Frank know what he's doing with subs, is Keogh actually any good, are we worth renewing my season ticket for.?? Answer...  It doesnt matter to me if we are winning. 

Job done. 

The fact is, we arent winning every game.  So, fans then look for things we can change, things going right/wrong.

How much we are paying different players, how we will pay on new players and their wages.. ..is worth discussing to me.

Its probably a bit too unknown for me to get into it much tbf... I just think if someone wants to say they have heard so and so is getting paid x amount (and its way more than some other players) its worthy of debate.. always bearing in mind we are a polite society. 

13 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Can the club afford it though? If according the Daily Mail Morris is losing 3 million quid a week or whatever the ridiculous sum of money was quoted. 

When the team is failing then the finances then come under more closer scrunity.

Football kills itself by paying varying rates for basically the same role.

In my utopic ideal there would be a flat rate rate for every 1st team squad player. Then appearance/clean sheet/assist/goal bonus and whatever other metrics managers choose to use these days, applied as they hit by the players in a game. 

Then an overall percentage increase dependant on whether it was a win or not and another % increase depending on where the team is in the table. Top % levied when in top two and decreasing the further down the table the team drops. 

Everything is then based on group achievement = reward. Funnily enough similar to how my pay and conditions are structured at a FTSE 100 company.

1 hour ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

In my utopic ideal there would be a flat rate rate for every 1st team squad player. Then appearance/clean sheet/assist/goal bonus and whatever other metrics managers choose to use these days, applied as they hit by the players in a game. 

Then an overall percentage increase dependant on whether it was a win or not and another % increase depending on where the team is in the table. Top % levied when in top two and decreasing the further down the table the team drops. 

Everything is then based on group achievement = reward. Funnily enough similar to how my pay and conditions are structured at a FTSE 100 company.

In the company you work for, does every employee earn the same salary if working the same role as someone else?

On 09/03/2019 at 19:33, IronRam 70.3 said:

Interesting concept and very good in theory.

In reality though it wouldnt take long for your rivals to find out what you were paying players and offer your potential targets slightly more money.

On 06/03/2019 at 19:56, Paul71 said:

None of my business in my opinion what anyone earns other than me and my wife.

? so you and your wife are fascinated by other people’s wages ? ( sorry couldn’t resist it ?

I don't think footballers earn too much money anyway do they? We pour our money into the game and know where it goes. 

Every shirt you buy, every TV subscription, every ticket. Why do clubs have such huge sponsorship deals? Because the game is watched by millions. 

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't think footballers earn too much money anyway do they?

Yes mate, they do.

wages in the championship are leaving clubs with significant debts. 

Strange society where hundreds of thousands of people are on minimum wage and zero hours contracts, whilst others are paid millions for doing bugger all.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yes mate, they do.

wages in the championship are leaving clubs with significant debts. 

Strange society where hundreds of thousands of people are on minimum wage and zero hours contracts, whilst others are paid millions for doing bugger all.

Simply economics though - Supply and Demand - Individual players are considered irreplaceable by their clubs and therefore have all the control - The moment a club says "nah mate, we can replace you" they take control of the demand back - I think Brentford have been doing it bravely over the last few years 

BUT winning at football is about tiny increments - It's the single pass which goes right rather than wrong - The striker who's just an inch/second faster - The defender who reads the game that tiny bit quicker etc etc and so the cost of improving by those increments becomes exponentially high

Archived