Players wages

Poynton ram

2 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

sur

surprised how low Leeds and Sheff Utd are, just shows you don't have to award huge contracts to get success

The figures in the graph say otherwise, of the top 8 wage spending clubs 3 were promoted and another 2 finished in the play off places 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Don't see why its public interest just because we might buy a season ticket or go to some games.

If you eat out do you demand to know what the restaurant manager earns or the staff? Should we be allowed to know just because we pay them for a service?

Should i demand @David declares his earnings from running this website because i choose to visit it therefore attracting advertising revenue?  

None of my business in my opinion what anyone earns other than me and my wife.

5 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

surprised how low Leeds and Sheff Utd are, just shows you don't have to award huge contracts to get success

Leeds have spent some money more recently and will see a bump in that figure, but Sheffield United have bought players off the scrapheap and put them in a system that works for them. 

If a team wants to bring in top quality players, they have to spend money. If a team can't spend money, they need a system that can compliment players. Sheffield United, in particular, typically sign players coming off a bad season or two. We got into a habit of signing players after a good season or two. 

It all comes down to scouting & synergy between the players brought in and the gameplan by the manager. 

34 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Word from who? That's not the cast iron proof I was looking for.

Ha ha i did that especially for you ,  an insider is the best i can go to , you know the old saying about a good reporter never reveals his sources ! 

But remember there's no smoke without fire ! 

Any more cliches needed?  Game of two halves ? No easy games ? 110% ? 

Cheers COYR ?

13 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Since then we can take off Bent, Jerome and Blackman. I'd imagine we're saving at least a little with Thorne, Butters, Martin and Pearce out on loan and I can't imagine any of the replacements are on wages anywhere near as high, maybe Waghorn being the highest earner of the new crop? 

I would suspect Nugent and Anya are also high earners.

Anya came from a premiership outfit.

13 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Disagree, with respect

Think this is a subject of public interest 

Fans are being requested to sign up and pay for their next season right now. After over 10 years in this division and no prospect of that changing anytime soon  - no reason we shouldnt expect to know what the club are paying people.

If the information is not in the public domain ( seems to be for many of the Premier players) , you cant blame folks for speculating. 

Would Bradley have signed for less than £30k ? 

Would Chris M have done the same ? 

Would Butterfield have come for less than £25k ? 

Would Bryson have turned down a move to Burnley for less than £30k ? 

Would Waghorn have signed for less than £25k ? 

We have signed Cole for £15k at age 38 for half a season at most , knowing it would take him the best part of 8 weeks to get up to speed ( over a quarter of his contract) 

All in the context of mid to upper championship football . Not even top Championship football.

When you talk about Cole 15k is not a great deal when you consider there was no fee to buy him in the first place 60k a month x 5 months is only 300k. We needed back up and we know he can be released at the end of the season, unlike some

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Leeds have spent some money more recently and will see a bump in that figure, but Sheffield United have bought players off the scrapheap and put them in a system that works for them. 

If a team wants to bring in top quality players, they have to spend money. If a team can't spend money, they need a system that can compliment players. Sheffield United, in particular, typically sign players coming off a bad season or two. We got into a habit of signing players after a good season or two. 

It all comes down to scouting & synergy between the players brought in and the gameplan by the manager. 

In that Johnny Russell interview, he mentioned how Clough had a knack for finding hard grafters with something to prove. Paid dividends for us (as soon as they were put in Mac's system). You can see our team's cohesion has suffered since then by bringing in players when their stock is at its highest, on bigger wages, and whose form can only go one way.

Whatever money people are on, we are going to be in a much healthier financial position next season after the end of the contract exodus and the likelihood of others leaving.

I think all in all we'll see the following leave: Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Pearce, Ambrose, Cole, Blackman, Olsson, Nugent.

Then maybe these guys too: Martin, Anya, Wisdom, Roos, Thorne.

Then loans ending: Mount, Wilson, Tomori, King (not sure if this has already ended due to injury).

That would leave us with a first team of: Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Malone, Huddlestone, Evans, Holmes, Bird, Jozefzoon, Lawrence, Bennett, Thomas, Waghorn, Marriott.

Johnson had a great game on Tuesday, but I can't see him staying beyond this season. He has had good spells for us and I wish him well. Huddlestone will get an extension for a year, in my opinion. 

If we can convince our three loan signings to come back - I don't think any of them have a chance of getting into their respective first teams so it seems likely they would want to return if Frank wants them - then that would leave us with a potential first team of this before making any other signings:

Carson
Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth
          Hudds Mount
Wilson      Holmes   Lawrence
                Waghorn

Roos or New, Davies, Malone, Bird, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Marriott

We then make it our aim to sign a backup right back, a defensive midfielder, a midfield runner, and a backup striker. All in all that would give us a squad of 23 (the magic number).

I can't see us being any worse as a team and we'd be saving a fortune on wages. This requires us backing Frank, keeping to the plan of reducing the wage bill and allowing his team to build something here. I'm feeling quietly optimistic. 

Huddlestone is out of contract too i think.

The finances might be more sustainable, but the new first team squad could be remarkably familiar.

Maybe not the scorched earth clean sheet that many imagined?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The finances might be more sustainable, but the new first team squad could be remarkably familiar.

Maybe not the scorched earth clean sheet that many imagined?

If Waghorn is anything to go on we've not learnt that much in our scouting/contracts dept?

2 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Then maybe these guys too: Martin, Anya, Wisdom, Roos, Thorne.

I think the release or use of these players is key to a successful transfer window. Martin is fairly easily loanable, Roos I doubt is on much so will make little difference to the wage bill, but the others I think we will struggle to move on as I suspect that they are on significantly more money than anyone else is likely to pay. 

19 hours ago, Wolfie said:

If the average is as high as below (last season), there must be some big earners...

8216c03b-d32c-4b6a-9095-4fba0b7ea08f.png

Interesting stat - thanks for posting.

Pure speculation, but given those figures, and our broad knowledge of signing on circumstances, it is not unreasonable to think that we have a large number of players on our books earning £20k per week or more. I would suggest the following: Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Anya, Butterfield, Thorne, Martin, Blackman, Waghorn, Johnson, (perhaps) Ollsen, Huddlestone, Bryson, Malone, Lawrence and Nugent.

Now l personally haven’t got a problem with what they are earning, as it was negotiated without shotgun, and in most ways l think they all give of their best. As a fan l wouldn’t ever use money as a stick against players. If l was Mel Morris however, l might struggle to swallow my cornflakes in the morning without gagging thinking how much money is currently being paid out to a large number of the squad.

Imagine a world where transfers fees were truly undisclosed, no reported fees in the media, no rumours, whispers, all players were judged solely on what they do on the pitch.

I know many will frown at this, shout we want more transparency which I understand, looking out for the future of the club I get it. 

But a world where Waghorn wasn’t judged on being a £5m signing, or Lawrence which ever number you want to believe, would they get a more fair assessment?

I’m with @i-Ram just this once, I really don’t have a problem with what they are earning as long as we can afford it and we don’t have financial jealousy issues within the team, who am I to sit here and say what Scott Carson should take home each week? Not a chance his or Keogh’s wages would enter my head when it comes to purchasing a ticket or renewal.

Each to their own I guess, maybe football will copy the NFL, lay everything out there on the table in time, really wouldn’t want to see it myself. I’m just here for the football.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Imagine a world where transfers fees were truly undisclosed, no reported fees in the media, no rumours, whispers, all players were judged solely on what they do on the pitch.

But a world where Waghorn wasn’t judged on being a £5m signing, or Lawrence which ever number you want to believe, would they get a more fair assessment?

Each to their own I guess, maybe football will copy the NFL, lay everything out there on the table in time, really wouldn’t want to see it myself. I’m just here for the football.

I've said for since we signed him that people should adjust their assessment of Lawrence due to his inflated price.  3 or 4 seasons ago he'd have cost £2m tops, and therefore be considered less of a luxury player.  People think that because we paid almost twice as much as we did when we signed Ince, he must be almost twice as good, but that's never the case.  Football is a sellers market.

I'd love it if a salary cap was brought in, just like US sports, it's the only way to achieve parity IMHO

I heard  from a guy that once bought a sausage roll from Greggs (Pride Park Branch) that the woman in the coffee shop said that guy with the white shirt, who works in "DCFC Ticket Office in association with The ABC Cinema Saturday Morning Club" (or whatever it's called???) earns £14.5k pa.

I find this extremely fare and just, for what he does, so I for one will be renewing my ST as soon as I can be arsed (but most definitely before the early bird has flown the nest to catch a mackerel, or whatever it is early birds do when they flee the nest).

As for what the players earn... well... One of the guys in that restaurant which is VERY CLOSE to the stadium (Can't remember whether it was Frankie or Benny?) told me in complete confidence that... Oops... Nearly!  

Just now, ramsbottom said:

I've said for since we signed him that people should adjust their assessment of Lawrence due to his inflated price.  3 or 4 seasons ago he'd have cost £2m tops, and therefore be considered less of a luxury player.  People think that because we paid almost twice as much as we did when we signed Ince, he must be almost twice as good, but that's never the case.  Football is a sellers market.

I'd love it if a salary cap was brought in, just like US sports, it's the only way to achieve parity IMHO

The reported transfer fee, which depends on which media outlet you choose to believe, and being seen as the man to fill Tom Ince’s shoes has definitely raised expectations of him.

Had he been a reported 500k signing I doubt he would receive the same criticism, unfair on the player as they don’t choose what clubs pay for their services.

One of the things Duane Holmes has going in his favour, cheap signing from Scunthorpe, he will be given extra allowances for poor performances despite being an equal part of the team when they are on the pitch.

Archived