O'Nottingham Forest vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

8 hours ago, goldstar said:

Just because Mel has been criticised in the past for being trigger happy doesn't protect Lampard from tough questions.

I've already said no I don't think he should be sacked.

Perhaps asking would give us an insight as to what's going on by his answer as things are currently looking very murky and something is not quite right.

This forum is for opinions, repeatedly asking me if I think he should be sacked and being argumentative won't change my views. You're allowed yours, I'm allowed mine

Repeatedly asking? I've only asked you once. Argumentative? So having an opinion that it's a question that shouldn't be asked is being argumentative?

Personally I don't think his answer would give any insight at all. It's a difficult question to answer candidly and you'd probably just get the usual stock answers. 

I trust you'll allow me to respond and voice an opinion without appearing argumentative. 

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Repeatedly asking? I've only asked you once. Argumentative? So having an opinion that it's a question that shouldn't be asked is being argumentative?

Personally I don't think his answer would give any insight at all. It's a difficult question to answer candidly and you'd probably just get the usual stock answers. 

I trust you'll allow me to respond and voice an opinion without appearing argumentative. 

???? look at your first paragraph

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He's got a great left foot, something that will never leave him, he doesn't have much else though. He's always lacked in his all round game, but at the moment he'd give Conor Doyle and Ruben Zadkovich a run for their money. He's been our worst player through February and it hasn't been close. 

The fact Forsyth has double the assists this season speaks volumes. He's miles away from being at Tom Ince's level, never mind what it needs to be to play for Liverpool. 

Agree completely 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He's got a great left foot, something that will never leave him, he doesn't have much else though. He's always lacked in his all round game, but at the moment he'd give Conor Doyle and Ruben Zadkovich a run for their money. He's been our worst player through February and it hasn't been close. 

The fact Forsyth has double the assists this season speaks volumes. He's miles away from being at Tom Ince's level, never mind what it needs to be to play for Liverpool. 

He's so one footed that it is really easy for anyone with half a brain to stop him.

A manager can never account for individual errors, Bogle was woeful for the first goal and pretty dreadful all game, his crosses when in space and not under pressure was very poor, Waghorn should've scored simple as that , Huddlestone although I'm a fan of his was too slow in possesion and caught out giving silly free kicks away, I didn't realise King was even on the pitch and has done nothing since he's been here,Johnson was as poor as i've ever seen him when he came on , not even making a simple pass but shanking it straight to a Forest player !! on several occasions!! All to often when in possesion we lost patience and punted it or floated it aimlessly to there keeper!!

Keogh was immense last night and easily our best player, Franks demeanour on the touchline doesn't look good at the moment and it makes me wonder if he and Jody know that most of the players will be shown the door at the end of the season.....we are still in with a chance but do need Mount and Lawrence back.....Huddlestone and Wisdom were clearly talking in depth and would be interesting to know whats going on as team spirit doesn't seem completely right to me I might be wrong......very dissapointed to lose to a very average Forest team but cannot remember there keeper making a proper save and thats two games in a row where we have hardly had a shot on goal.....plenty for Frank to think about for sure.

We are still in the mix though so if we treat it like a fresh start 13 games to get us into the top 6 we could still achieve that but things have to improve a lot starting at Villa on saturday COYR

Couple of random points:-

Did I hear correctly and the commentator say Huddlestone isn't very often beaten for strength? ?

How many fouls did Colback make before he was finally booked? On top of that he clearly got in Holmes face in an attempt to get him sent off as well as kicking the ball away as we were just about to take a free kick (at least I think it was him).

30 minutes ago, goldstar said:

???? look at your first paragraph

Ok. Apologies. I can't see the paragraph you're referring to but, I'm struggling to scroll back on my Blackberry.

I don't really know why we're falling out though. You said it's a question that SHOULD be asked. I said it shouldn't. Opposing views is what you get on forums like this and when you post you have to accept someone might disagree. One thing we are agreed on though is he shouldn't be sacked. 

1 hour ago, NG2Ram said:

As a result of Sky moving the game to Monday night I had to settle for Watching the game on TV in a dreadful ‘Irish’ bar in Prague (only the second time I’ve missed this fixture at the City Ground since 1971). 

I didn’t think we played that badly apart from a lack of cutting edge up front. I thought Holmes had a great game in midfield, his movement between the lines and his willingness to offer himself for the ball from defence was excellent and something that we’d been sorely missing in the Brighton and Millwall games. We are also missing Mason Mount to link the midfield and attack. We were the better footballing side on the night and I’d much rather watch the style of play that Lampard is trying to achieve than the ‘anti football’ that O’Neill has set Forest up to play. They’re just a modern day version of his ‘pub side with floodlights’ Leicester team from back in the Dark Ages.

I do agree we played the better football

however forest, like millwall last week allowed us to have the ball im non threatening areas of the pitch, hence why Holme and co were able to pick the ball up easily deep.

however at any time we tried to show creatively and guile to do the hard bit and break through their lines we had no ideas what so ever.. aka Millwall game 

we’ve become very predictable and dare I say it easy to play against, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist now to work out let us have the ball in non threatening areas and just pick us off when we invariably give it away... or attack our flanks .. as forest did as Bogle can’t stop crosses and we’re shakey whenever anything gets put into our box, no need for teams to open up against us anymore and teams know this.

what I will say though is that Rome wasn’t built in a day and to move from rowett ball to this type of foootball can’t happen overnight, I’m still excited what the future may hold if we stick by frank and this type of football as u say I’d rather watch this, when done properly there’s no finer thing 

We’ve just got to exercise patience despite the current blip and disappointment

Roll on the summer window, 10 players out of contract and hopefully some more wriggle room 

Outfought, outworked and with little idea of what to do when we had the ball, so just the dull Clementesque passing round the back.

Roos- made a mistake against Millwall and should have done better with the goal. When the ball is up in the air for that long you need your keeper to come and punch. Also seemed hesitant with the ball at his feet. 

Bogle - for his own good he needs a rest before he is mentally shot. Mistake for the goal and beaten too often again.

Keogh/Tomori. Solid as always.

Cole - Ok 

Huddlestone - ruined any hope of quick fluent football because everything he does is in slow motion. If Frank wants to play quickly I'm afraid he's had it. 

King - completely anonymous. The only time he was noticeable was when he got injured.

Wilson - just looks knackered and man marked in every game. Needs some time out.

Holmes - man of the match by a country mile. The only one who seemed to really want it and got at Forest at every occasion.

Waghorn - getting less effective by the game

Marriott - currently looks a shadow of the player we had earlier in the season

Subs: Zoon - added some urgency and threat

Johnson - did alright.

Bennett - on too later to offer anything.

Lampard - much like Sarri, seems unable to motivate his team to the levels of the opposition. Ipswich, Brighton and  Millwall all seemed to have levels of whatever you call is - passion, determination, desire - that we're lacking at the moment.

Forest were poor but deserved it if only because of their levels of desire. They won the ball far more often and drove at us with far more determination than we managed. Our players didn't seem to know what to do when we had the ball.

City Ground - great atmosphere, the Forest fans more than played their part in the final 10. Very loud.

The good news is this is the Championship, and all is takes is a scabby in-off-the-backside goal against Villa and things can change very quickly. 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Ok. Apologies. I can't see the paragraph you're referring to but, I'm struggling to scroll back on my Blackberry.

I don't really know why we're falling out though. You said it's a question that SHOULD be asked. I said it shouldn't. Opposing views is what you get on forums like this and when you post you have to accept someone might disagree. One thing we are agreed on though is he shouldn't be sacked. 

Apologies, I will blame the absolute shower of poo last night for me being a bit snappy!

11 minutes ago, Saity said:

A manager can never account for individual errors, Bogle was woeful for the first goal and pretty dreadful all game, his crosses when in space and not under pressure was very poor, Waghorn should've scored simple as that , Huddlestone although I'm a fan of his was too slow in possesion and caught out giving silly free kicks away, I didn't realise King was even on the pitch and has done nothing since he's been here,Johnson was as poor as i've ever seen him when he came on , not even making a simple pass but shanking it straight to a Forest player !! on several occasions!! All to often when in possesion we lost patience and punted it or floated it aimlessly to there keeper!!

Keogh was immense last night and easily our best player, Franks demeanour on the touchline doesn't look good at the moment and it makes me wonder if he and Jody know that most of the players will be shown the door at the end of the season.....we are still in with a chance but do need Mount and Lawrence back.....Huddlestone and Wisdom were clearly talking in depth and would be interesting to know whats going on as team spirit doesn't seem completely right to me I might be wrong......very dissapointed to lose to a very average Forest team but cannot remember there keeper making a proper save and thats two games in a row where we have hardly had a shot on goal.....plenty for Frank to think about for sure.

We are still in the mix though so if we treat it like a fresh start 13 games to get us into the top 6 we could still achieve that but things have to improve a lot starting at Villa on saturday COYR

more chance that May can negotiate a Brexit deal before the end of march

Having slept on it I've concluded I don't know what to conclude! 

No urgency,  no closing down, poor first (or second) touch, poor crosses, too many sideways or backwards passes, little chasing back...I could go on.  Nods go to Keogh & Tomori who I think are our best players atm. Holmes at least tries to go forward but keeps running into a blind alley as often no-one running through. Wilson massively off the boil (missing Mount probably).  Waghorn tries but gets generally poor service and with either loss of confidence or frustration, is missing chances.  Lampard needs to assess tactics too.  We've faced at least 3 (very average) teams with 11 players behind the ball and struggled to break them down but if the players don't want to drive forward what can he do.  

Lawrence often frustrates me (as did Ince) but at least he looks to go at players where anything can happen. Russell was that type of player too.  We need more of that mentality. I'm not seeing it. There is time to correct this, but only just. Another 2 losses and that's us done for this season I think when you look at who's around us.

Sorry....ramble over.  Best get on with some work. 

Decent result that as I thought we would get spannered .Didn't watch it as I couldn't be arsed after sitting through the Millwall effort [or lack of].I am starting to feel bad about christening Rowett two shots he is starting to look like the master of attacking football compared to the current fayre.

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

Decent result that as I thought we would get spannered .Didn't watch it as I couldn't be arsed after sitting through the Millwall effort [or lack of].I am starting to feel bad about christening Rowett two shots he is starting to look like the master of attacking football compared to the current fayre.

gradually losing interest.  I haven't sat through a whole Ramstv game this year, didn't bother last night because the result was a certainty.  Unlikely to watch AV game because I am seriously worried we will get spanked.  Good news though, I am back in UK in march and have a ticket for the Wednesday game.  No matter what I feel now i will be buzzing when walking to the ground

Well where do we go from here? 4 games on the spin in which we have created nothing going forward and haven't tested the opposition keeper at all. What do they practice in training? 3-5-2 which didn't work, to pass and move which doesn't happen or to pass through the lines and create chances which defiantly doesn't happen! Frank and the players talk the talk but obviously cant walk the walk. The only thing saving this season was a purple patch in October, were now in February and are on a steady decline into shambles which is all too familiar. As for the game last night, Boring. It was a non event apart from us conceding a sloppy poor goal in the first 2 mins thanks to some terrible play from Bogle and poor judgement from Roos. I get Bogle is young but if that ball isn't going out of your box then head it wide or behind, you see Sunday League defenders deal with that ball properly. 4-3-3 hasn't got us promoted and has always seen this dull football played because teams know how we play, 4-3-3 isn't the be all and end all. I try to remain positive but im coming round to the fact that last night was our biggest game of the season, we wont make play offs and will slowly fall away. Im going Villa on Saturday and it cant come quick enough so i can get this result out of the system. Do i think were going to get anything at Villa, No. We could do but i dont see enough in Frank currently to suggest he has the attributes to help these players turn this slump around. If Bristol win tonight then lets just go all out attack on Saturday, stop the tippy tappy side to side stuff and be forward thinking and quick. Mel and Frank need a sit down soon to discuss funds etc. another season in the championship, losing players on frees and not being able to sign any will be bad for the club and could see a nervy season played out. Need Frank to start proving his worth and changing patterns of play and how the players are being allowed to play, another manager playing Premiership football in the championship, it doesn't work!

Having not read other people’s views yet.

we lack that one person to control the football either in midfield or up front 

Huddlestone is great when winning but we are so slow and ponderous when everyone else in the team is expecting a miracle from him when we need a goal

i don’t consider waghorn to be centre forward and not the type we seem to need up there ( yes he can help out) 

but to sum it up in previous seasons we have had better players available ( or actually used them) and it will take time to improve on that

off the villa on Saturday ?

i assume the open top bus tour of Nottingham is taking place this week?

i also assume that they are happy with any kind of win despite the lack of actual football being attempted 

8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Well where do we go from here? 4 games on the spin in which we have created nothing going forward and haven't tested the opposition keeper at all. What do they practice in training? 3-5-2 which didn't work, to pass and move which doesn't happen or to pass through the lines and create chances which defiantly doesn't happen! Frank and the players talk the talk but obviously cant walk the walk. The only thing saving this season was a purple patch in October, were now in February and are on a steady decline into shambles which is all too familiar. As for the game last night, Boring. It was a non event apart from us conceding a sloppy poor goal in the first 2 mins thanks to some terrible play from Bogle and poor judgement from Roos. I get Bogle is young but if that ball isn't going out of your box then head it wide or behind, you see Sunday League defenders deal with that ball properly. 4-3-3 hasn't got us promoted and has always seen this dull football played because teams know how we play, 4-3-3 isn't the be all and end all. I try to remain positive but im coming round to the fact that last night was our biggest game of the season, we wont make play offs and will slowly fall away. Im going Villa on Saturday and it cant come quick enough so i can get this result out of the system. Do i think were going to get anything at Villa, No. We could do but i dont see enough in Frank currently to suggest he has the attributes to help these players turn this slump around. If Bristol win tonight then lets just go all out attack on Saturday, stop the tippy tappy side to side stuff and be forward thinking and quick. Mel and Frank need a sit down soon to discuss funds etc. another season in the championship, losing players on frees and not being able to sign any will be bad for the club and could see a nervy season played out. Need Frank to start proving his worth and changing patterns of play and how the players are being allowed to play, another manager playing Premiership football in the championship, it doesn't work!

What we actually lack are better quality players on the pitch - we no longer have a centre forward like Chris Martin playing and scoring 20 goals a season we no longer have will Hughes controlling the football and moving forward with it or a Hendrick with powerful running or a Russell running at full backs and getting to the bye line and cutting the ball back and scoring 8 goals a season  and not to mention an inability to not stop crosses from the flanks all season ( Forsyth aside and Cole looks an improvement)

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

He’s a million miles away from

the Liverpool first team probably needs at least another loan next season

Agree completely. On current form he doesn’t deserve to be in the team. However, I don’t think we have much of a choice as Liverpool put a clause in all of their outgoing loan players that if they don’t play(if they aren’t injured), that club will be fined. Bristol City got fined heavily last season for not playing ryan Kent as much.

Archived