Playoff final

Spooney1963

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I've never been able to rewatch the Hillsborough semi-final goals scored by Man U and that was over 40 years ago. There's no way I'd ever watch the Wembley play-off final goals against us, just to painful.

I nearly forgave Gordon Hill when he scored the winner at Stoke for us a couple of years later, but not quite.....

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I never could understand why we brought Dawkins on when they went to ten men - surley we needed bamford on - score a goal we win  - I can’t forgive Mac for that one

He’s gone on record as to say that we were playing so well as we were that he was going to bring Bamford on for extra-time.

8 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

If it had stay 11 v 11 we would have won. Mentally after the sending off we all thought that's it we've done it and so did the players. QPR looked more compact and dangerous once O'Neil went off.

I think there's a parallel universe somewhere with us having finished top 10 in the prem every season since..

Remember saying when it happened that the sending off would work against us.

Can't agree that QPR started to look dangerous.

Until the 90th minute there was only one team in the game.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

He’s gone on record as to say that we were playing so well as we were that he was going to bring Bamford on for extra-time.

Win the game in normal time bamford would still have been on the pitch for extra time - it still grates

I have never even seen the goal again never mind the game.... I think Keogh is rubbish enough anyway, I reckon if I saw the goal it would tip me over the edge!

Great weekend out though, drinking in Covent Garden with @Angry Ram and little Angry the night before and then before the game with all my mates from back home....I never thought we would lose, it never even entered my head as an option.

I've never seen the goal or the game again. I didn't really see the goal on the day either. I was low down on the side opposite the tunnel. I'll never watch it again. 

My abiding memory of that day, and the thing I wanted more than anything else..... Well of course I wanted the win..... But from where I was, I had such a brilliant of the Derby fans, and the thing I wanted? Just us to score a goal. 

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I have never even seen the goal again never mind the game.... I think Keogh is rubbish enough anyway, I reckon if I saw the goal it would tip me over the edge!

Great weekend out though, drinking in Covent Garden with @Angry Ram and little Angry the night before and then before the game with all my mates from back home....I never thought we would lose, it never even entered my head as an option.

I worked with loads of Rangers at the time.. Hated every day there after that. Left the company, now work with another load.. Every day I walk in, some twit shouts Keogh, Keogh. Or he's one of our own... 

Poxy club has no fans except ones who work with me.. I must have been a scouser in a previous life and am being made to suffer in this one.

Can't watch it, will never watched it.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I worked with loads of Rangers at the time.. Hated every day there after that. Left the company, now work with another load.. Every day I walk in, some twit shouts Keogh, Keogh. Or he's one of our own... 

Poxy club has no fans except ones who work with me.. I must have been a scouser in a previous life and am being made to suffer in this one.

Can't watch it, will never watched it.

Still, who really won that day. Where are they now? (I could say that with more conviction if we had since been promoted, but they got relegated the next season, and haven’t been above isn’t since, so there’s a moral victory there).

Similar to us beating West Brom. Who really won out of that one in the 10 years since?

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Still, who really won that day. Where are they now? (I could say that with more conviction if we had since been promoted, but they got relegated the next season, and haven’t been above isn’t since, so there’s a moral victory there).

Similar to us beating West Brom. Who really won out of that one in the 10 years since?

Nah, they won that day.. I live it every day.

On 22/01/2019 at 20:30, Boycie said:

Anyrode, what’s the date of the play off final this year, I don’t want a holiday clash.

More worried about next season. Got a wedding to go to on a poxy remote Greek island.. 3PM as well so if the KO at Wembley is 1PM I will be ducked. 

Could be worth the divorce..

Watched it recently too, has to be said that all we needed to do in the last 5 minutes was not loose the game, get to extra time we’d have probably scored 2 or 3 we’d just brought on a fresh Bryson and Dawkins who aren’t who you’d like to see come on after 70-80 mins anyway never mind with ET. Just couldn’t manage the occasion. 

10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

More worried about next season. Got a wedding to go to on a poxy remote Greek island.. 3PM as well so if the KO at Wembley is 1PM I will be ducked. 

Could be worth the divorce..

Got a wedding to go to the Saturday of the play off weekend. Not like I can skip out of it either as I'm the best man. Just hoping next year is the Monday Bank Holiday again. 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Got a wedding to go to the Saturday of the play off weekend. Not like I can skip out of it either as I'm the best man. Just hoping next year is the Monday Bank Holiday again. 

I believe the championship PO final is always BH Monday on an odd year, and Saturday in evens, thus giving an extra two days to prepare for World Cup or Euros. 

I learned that the hard way, having previously presumed it was always the Monday, only to miss the QPR final (Thankfully, in hindsight!) as it clashed with my deliberately well-planned (not!) Saturday flight home from hols!

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I believe the championship PO final is always BH Monday on an odd year, and Saturday in evens, thus giving an extra two days to prepare for World Cup or Euros. 

I learned that the hard way, having previously presumed it was always the Monday, only to miss the QPR final (Thankfully, in hindsight!) as it clashed with my deliberately well-planned (not!) Saturday flight home from hols!

I know, still hoping ?

I guess the play off defeat is the equivalent for the youngsters as the Hillsborough cup defeat was for us oldies .That game at Hillsborough still haunts me but you know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger .The play off defeat is over and done with.

I still can't bring myself to watch it back. I can't really remember anything other than the goal and Russell getting chopped. So many hindsight points from this: 

- Why didn't Bryson start 

- Why was Rob Green suddenly Buffon 

- Had O'Neill not chopped Russell would we have won? 

- Was it actually Bucko's mistake in the corner rather than Keogh we should be burning the effigy's of... 

- Harry bloody Redknapp!!!!!!! 

0 I'm not crying you're crying... 

The 10 man issue became a problem because they gave us the wings and packed the centre and we took the bait too easily.  They just snuffed out anything coming from that area.  I didn't expect that they would get a chance to score so was not unduly bothered at the time.  They aimed to gain ground by 'kicking for touch' which in the end worked very well.  I was confident that we would win in 90 but would murder them in ET if it went that far

Archived