The playoff contenders

erathirea

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

I'll have what you are having! 90 points from here is very optimistic.That means taking 44 points from 18 games, which means winning at least 13 at a minimum including tricky away games at Villa, Forest, Bristol City ,Swansea and Blackburn. With the exception of Swansea we didn't beat any of those sides at home!

At present no team is averaging 2 points per game. Our run in is better than most. I think 86 points (possibly second spot) will clinch promotion which will  in my view demand at least 12 victories from 18 games and very few defeats. The next game against Preston will not be easy but is a must win.

Yaaaaaaaaasssssssss. This will be the year my stupid moniker finally doesn't look so freakin daft after all. Chuffed! ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect we'll finish 5th or 6th, maybe caught out by the end of season fixture pile up from making the FA Cup final.

A chance to build next season, for the demands of the Championship/Prem and the Europa League.

Can't see either Leeds or the Blunts imploding in the way you suggest. I think it will be pretty much as is come the end of the season, possibly Noriwch will fall away a bit but we have all shown - in our own ways - an inability to pull away from the pack so unless there are some major dealings in January I'd argue that nothing changes so nothing changes.

Leeds and WBA for autos

Norwich vs Derby and Boro vs Sheff Utd in the play offs. Us against Boro at Wembley, and I'd take us to win that one.

I am not suggesting Leeds and Sheffield United will fall away this season. But it was the case last season.

West Brom have an awful run of fixtures through February and into March. Leeds may be punished for spygate-we don't know. Sheffield United aren't great away. Norwich concede goals. Boro play crap football. There are reasons why they all may struggle. We have a better run in than most. I am sure Frank must be on the verge of signing at least a centre half given that we only have Wisdom as potential cover.Hopefully a striker might also arrive.

I can't believe the owner is prepared to sit there and do nothing when we have a pretty good chance of promotion.

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

I am not suggesting Leeds and Sheffield United will fall away this season. But it was the case last season.

West Brom have an awful run of fixtures through February and into March. Leeds may be punished for spygate-we don't know. Sheffield United aren't great away. Norwich concede goals. Boro play crap football. There are reasons why they all may struggle. We have a better run in than most. I am sure Frank must be on the verge of signing at least a centre half given that we only have Wisdom as potential cover.Hopefully a striker might also arrive.

I can't believe the owner is prepared to sit there and do nothing when we have a pretty good chance of promotion.

I want us to spend as well, but unfortunately with FFP we can't until we clear most of the fringe players like Ledley, Johnson, Butterfield and Anya. I think we are a quality Cb and right back away from promotion , but now we have bought in Cole I think that is us done unless we get rid of a few players.

I think we will make 4/5th, but if we are def in the playoffs then I believe 

we can win it this time. We never actually seemed to "go for it" last season,

although doing well to get a 1nil first leg. Something has certainly changed

apart from the obvious, and I feel renewed optimism!!!  coyr?

7 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I want us to spend as well, but unfortunately with FFP we can't until we clear most of the fringe players like Ledley, Johnson, Butterfield and Anya. I think we are a quality Cb and right back away from promotion , but now we have bought in Cole I think that is us done unless we get rid of a few players.

I can't see anyone leaving voluntarily prior to the expiry of a lucrative contract.If it is true that Johnson is on £30k per week why would he leave when he can sit on the bench until May and continue to earn until the end of June or July?. Whoever agreed these contracts has done us no favours.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's 44 from 18 games. Still very optimistic and 2.44 pts per game, but it's slightly more possible. I agree with @Harrowramthat a little fewer will still get the automatics. Forty points from 18 games could be done, but we haven't been very good during this time of year for a while.

My own take is let's play another couple of games so we're up to the 30 mark, with two-thirds of the season gone, and assess where we stand. We will have to be utterly relentless if we're to make automatics and I don't see that from this team just yet. We have good days but we also have bad days, so right now I'm only looking at the playoffs. But I think this season is a tremendous opportunity for someone.

Yeah, 18 games.....had a blonde moment there. Still means 13 wins, five draws and no defeats or 14 wins, two draws and two defeats. I agree that we have too many off days for that sort of return tbh. Every chance of the playoffs though ?

The league table is how it is for a reason. 

Not sure how anyone can predict that x or y will implode etc.

Other teams may have harder fixtures than us but they also probably took points from these fixtures in the first half of the season hence why they are above us.

Is there any app available that gives a league table if the results for the last 18 games replicate the results in the fixture from the first half of the season?

Our average points per game this season to date is 1.643. Multiply that by 46 you get 76 rounded up. That probably will be enough for sixth place. If you factor in we only have to play one of the current top 6 and that game is at home perhaps 80 is a realistic tally which might get us fifth or fourth place.

Good post (not going to waste space by quoting it).

I do think your prediction of 90 points (although possible on paper) is not probable.

However, as you have stated, our run in does look more favourable than most.

I believe if we are to make the top 2 it will be down to others failing (and us being more consistent) and as you have said pretty much all our close rivals have to play each other and points have to give one way or another.

Whilst I think 90 points is not achievable, something around 82 - 86 is more realistic (still difficult) and this could even secure top spot - (86).

18 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Good post (not going to waste space by quoting it).

I do think your prediction of 90 points (although possible on paper) is not probable.

However, as you have stated, our run in does look more favourable than most.

I believe if we are to make the top 2 it will be down to others failing (and us being more consistent) and as you have said pretty much all our close rivals have to play each other and points have to give one way or another.

Whilst I think 90 points is not achievable, something around 82 - 86 is more realistic (still difficult) and this could even secure top spot - (86).

You may be right. However Leeds only need another 32 points to achieve 86 points which is less than two points per game and no different than what they have achieved all season. Unless they suffer a dip in form or a deduction of points I can't see them failing. On the other hand we have to show a very quick improvement in form and consistency.

4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

You may be right. However Leeds only need another 32 points to achieve 86 points which is less than two points per game and no different than what they have achieved all season. Unless they suffer a dip in form or a deduction of points I can't see them failing. On the other hand we have to show a very quick improvement in form and consistency.

We have shown everybody how to fail from a position of strength! 

Anyway we should concentrate on winning our games and everything else takes care of itself 

46 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Leeds have surprised me with keeping up the style and intensity with a relatively small squad.

Bielsa's teams often start to feel the effects of attempting to keep up the intensity over a season. It will be interesting if they can do so.

I personally think they will find the final 1/4 of the season particularly difficult. 

Archived