Vs Southampton home (Matchday thread).

Rev

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, eddie said:

One of the more enjoyable aspects of supporting the Rams is reading the match thread after the game.

Going through the comments...

Good point, prat, prat, prat, moron, f off to Forest, good point, put on ignore, prat.

Why do you spend so long reading your own posts?!

Good result that, I know they’ve no exactly been brilliant but they’re a prem side at the moment with players in a class above ours, and that young team really gave them a game, particulary in the last 20 mins or so, we certainly didn’t look out of place. Can hold our heads high, though I must admit to feeling a little crushed after Marriott of all players missed that absolute sitter! It’s another game, but we should be able to handle that with our squad- hell that wasn’t exactly the first team out today!

Certainly can’t question the fight and charectar in the players either, but you do have to wonder why we don’t have the sort of fight we do after going down that we do once we’re down. Would save us a lot of heartache, how many times is that that we’ve conceded the first goal, and early on as well! Caught napping at the start of the second half too despite a worldy finish. Have to improve our defensive organisation as a unit, I’m sure frank knows it as well listening to his interviews, but it does seem to occur week after week. Only real negatives were the goals mind as they didn’t really threaten us, and we were well on top once we’d taken off the too defensive midfield and stuck Nugent on. 

Obviously immesnely impressed by Holmes, who will play in the premier league. Bryson as well I thought was better today, certainly in his pressing, did his and Evans job. Dunno whether he’s not fit yet but Evans looked way off the pace of the game, Huddlestone straight back for me. Roos will go unnoticed but I think his distribution made a big difference today, it’s much better than Carson’s.

Well done lads, now onto a massive game at Leeds!

Well just got back in, really enjoyed the second half, should have won it at the end but thought overall Marriott had a great game, but best player on the pitch was Holmes, he is quick, can turn, take a man on, see a pass, he must start against Leeds for me, also thought Nugent was very good when he came on, think Marriott and Nugent could make a good partnership up top, and another point I would like to make is a great atmosphere today as well, no moaning and booing, fans staying behind the team all game, and the south stand was excellent today, less numbers, but plenty of support from the fans, all around the stadium.

Just got in, obvious plus points, Holmes and Tomori. Lawrence with a great goal and assist. Bird looked a little out of his depth but can only get better, Bryson too but probably can’t,  very good switch by Frank to go 4-4-2 the midfield was overwhelmed until we got the extra body in there. Must agree the atmosphere was very good for long parts and even decent when we were 2 down. Enjoyable afternoon  all in all, pity Marriott couldn’t win it at the death but he’s so much in credit this season, we can forgive him that one. 

23 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

another point I would like to make is a great atmosphere today as well, no moaning and booing, fans staying behind the team all game, and the south stand was excellent today, less numbers, but plenty of support from the fans, all around the stadium.

Yes!

It's quite often like that in cup games when the crowds are lower.

Also noticeable that there wasn't the mass walkout on 85 mins that there normally is.

The missing 10k can stay away for me, though not for Mel I'm sure.

Roos - did ok, I was hoping for quicker distribution but ok

bogle - helped by Holmes a lot

keogh - won plenty against two of the best headers in the premiership 

tomori - he needs to play and cover space if lowe is playing

lowe - disappears far to frequently from left back but we are what we are

evans - gave the ball away frequently 

bird - struggled to get involved 

Bryson - suddenly became excellent when we changed formation 

holmes - match ready - I don’t think opposition players like playing against him

lawrence - drives you nuts but made a goal and scored a great one but still should have fed it through to 3 players running through- hopefully a desperate premiership team will see the goal and offer us £15 million 

marriott - that’s 3 goals against 3 premiership clubs this season 

subs nugent - did well - waghorn nearly had  a moment - joflo - no time 

we looked very good playing 442 

southampton - well I have seen them in pre season and FA cup and they look a lot worse than about 8 teams in the championship 

52 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I am right in thinking that wasn't far off Southampton strongest team? Or at least hardly a reserve side.

Noticed villa got tonked as well.

6 changes in the Southampton team. Not a Premier league test exactly but a great blooding for some of the players who will still be here next year.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well, the side improved after Nuge was on, no doubt. I thought he did a lot of good but not eye catching things.

Exactly. Did the dirty work and let everyone else get into the game, won headers, chased down lost balls and brought the wingers and midfield into the game. Marriott looked vastly improved once Nuge was brought on too. 

Archived