Watchable telly

dog

Something I only noticed last night - when looking for Strike:

On Virgin TV on demand, it says only series 4 and 5 are available on iPlayer (to watch through the Virgin V6 box) and the rest are there to buy only. However I go the iPlayer App on my TV and all series are there.

Any idea why this is (other than Virgin being sneaky)?

With a new baby in the house, watching serious series has really stopped for now, but I do have a couple of recommendations.

- Back to Life is a series in iPlayer with 2 seasons. 30min dark comedy about a near 40 year old coming out of prison and going back to live with her parents after being done for murdering her friend. Very very funny. Really enjoyed it.

- The Traitors. Still ongoing on BBC, but a pseudo reality gameshow about trying to find 3 traitors in a group of contestants. Features a lot of paranoia and accusations of lying, is very addicting.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

having never heard of it until reading here yesterday, started watching Strike. It's quite enjoyable with intriguing characters, maybe trying to be a bit like Bosch. I'm into S2 and it's quite an easy watch. Thanks

As invariably is the case, the original books by JK Rowling are a lot better than the TV adaptations but enjoyable nonetheless. Holliday Grainger isn’t though who I would have cast for Robin.

Edited by i-Ram

'A Series of Unfortunate Events' (Netflix).

A black comedy revolving around three orphaned children on one side, and evil Count Olaf on the other, striving to rob them of their inheritance. It's a bit 'Dastardly and Muttley' - in fact, it's a lot 'Dastardly and Muttley'. Best watched drunk.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

'A Series of Unfortunate Events' (Netflix).

A black comedy revolving around three orphaned children on one side, and evil Count Olaf on the other, striving to rob them of their inheritance. It's a bit 'Dastardly and Muttley' - in fact, it's a lot 'Dastardly and Muttley'. Best watched drunk.

My kids absolutely loved it. It's really a bit bizarre isn't it!

Off-beat, quirky with a definite style of its own. Kinda campy and aimed somewhere between children and adults. Is dark with knowing aspects- almost like the League of Gentlemen where you either find it annoying or really lean into them.

On 13/12/2022 at 12:24, sage said:

Strike

Just watched all 5 series. Excellent. 

Made like a poor mans Sherlock, which still makes it pretty good. 

Thx for this, yeah it's a gentle roll - felt more like Luther than Sherlock to me, a few of the standard tropes in there but not enough to drag it down. Pleasant viewing and thx!

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

My kids absolutely loved it. It's really a bit bizarre isn't it!

Off-beat, quirky with a definite style of its own. Kinda campy and aimed somewhere between children and adults. Is dark with knowing aspects- almost like the League of Gentlemen where you either find it annoying or really lean into them.

The books are very much the same. Reading them as a kid, you assume it will get somewhat happier towards the end but it really doesn't!

Just finished Strike S05. Thought 4 was a lull after 3 strong outings, but 5 is very much the best of the lot IMO. It is 'gentle' as someone put it, despite some dark plot lines, but it doesn't suffer for that and even the sentimental aspects are handled with a light tough. The protagonists relationship, for instance, could quite easily become overly saccharine, but I'm even enjoying that element.

Will deffo be keeping an eye out for S06, The Ink Black Heart. No release date as yet but very likely to happen according to RT. ?

Not so sure this is watchable, in an enjoyable way, but it's certainly interesting.

A few weeks back, I mentioned a documentary filmed in the style of Adam Curtis, here's his most recent series available on BBC IPlayer.

Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone, Series 1: 1. Part One - 1985 to 1989: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0d3kjmp via @bbciplayer

Pure contemporary footage from the archive, no narration, just captions, moves from the sublime to the ridiculous to the heartbreaking, often in the same minute. 

It's an investment, and I'm glad I made it.

Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix.

Documentary where a scientist, clearly pissed off at having his theories dismissed and being labelled a "pseudoscientist", goes around the world looking at Ancient Sculptures and Structures to prove that there were previous Advanced Races/Humans on Earth wayyyyyyyyy before accepted science states there was.

It is very intriguing and whilst he is clearly refuting common and accepted beliefs, he's clearly stating it's questions and mysteries that need better study.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix.

Documentary where a scientist, clearly pissed off at having his theories dismissed and being labelled a "pseudoscientist", goes around the world looking at Ancient Sculptures and Structures to prove that there were previous Advanced Races/Humans on Earth wayyyyyyyyy before accepted science states there was.

It is very intriguing and whilst he is clearly refuting common and accepted beliefs, he's clearly stating it's questions and mysteries that need better study.

It’s all bunkum really. If you have ever watched the Flintstones then their diction and communication skills would embarrass many kids of today.

Edited by i-Ram