Watchable telly

dog

On 13/07/2023 at 09:11, Stive Pesley said:

Watched episode 1 last night and it was brilliant. Some absolute laugh out loud moments, which is weird considering it's not objectively filmed as a comedy. They do an amazing job of weaving the black humour into the story line without it being slapstick or some kind of spoof.

I'm slightly confused as to why it's not been talked about more. Maybe because it's on Amazon - if it were on the iPlayer I'm sure it'd be huge

Finished Deadloch last night. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I doubt I will watch a better TV series this year.

Someone else please watch it so I don't feel like I'm on my own here!

17 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Finished Deadloch last night. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I doubt I will watch a better TV series this year.

Glad you enjoyed it. I just found that detective from Cairns annoying beyond belief and couldn’t keep watching.

Does have its good bits though and I’m sure others will love it.

57 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm 5 or 6 episodes in, but I think I've only seen about 60% of what's happened because I keep falling asleep and the gf doesn't pause it when I do!

Not that it's boring me to sleep it's just we tend to watch TV really late and I've usually had some.beer.

Can tell it's very good but no idea what's actually going on anymore.

Game of Thrones. 

Third time all the way through. It gets better each time for me. Obviously the original source material gave it a massive headstart so even when the books ran out there was such a plethora of established characters with such depth  it felt like they couldn't fail.

The books did concentrate more on the machinations, the inner thoughts, the complexity of human emotions than you would expect in a world of dragons and giants.  So someone like Jaime Lannister or Theon Greyjoy was able to have a proper character arc. Fortunately the set-pieces were also handled amazingly. 

Obviously there were a few gripes especially about the final series, but with all the expectations gone on re-watching z it's nowhere near as much of a letdown as people would have you think.

You only have to watch the spin-off series to see how the same basic set up can be totally flaccid and mediocre if handled differently. 

10/10 on rewatching

Edited by Chester40

On 22/07/2023 at 10:32, Stive Pesley said:

I'll have a look mate. Been a bit dry recently, so will have a look at this and Caliphate, as recommended by Bob. Both seem well regarded. 

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'll have a look mate. Been a bit dry recently, so will have a look at this and Caliphate, as recommended by Bob. Both seem well regarded. 

I gave up on Caliphate after two episodes. It's not the language/ subtitles thing. Probably 75% of my viewing is foreign. It just didn't work for me. Not sure why. 

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

The Bear (Disney+)

Think it's my favourite TV show of the year. Second season has just come out, a great watch.

It's about a chef who takes over his family's sandwich shop after the death of his brother. 

9/10

It must be about more than that?

It topped just about every best of poll last year, but the synopsis sounds so dull I can't bring myself to watch.

28 minutes ago, Rev said:

It topped just about every best of poll last year, but the synopsis sounds so dull I can't bring myself to watch.

I’m sure it will be more exciting if there’s an actual bear in it…..

28 minutes ago, Rev said:

It topped just about every best of poll last year, but the synopsis sounds so dull I can't bring myself to watch

Yeah it is, I just didn't wanna post spoilers etc. Definitely worth a watch. Some dark comedy, very emotional at times too. 

23 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haven't watched Season 2 yet.

I preferred it to the first! 

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I’m sure it will be more exciting if there’s an actual bear in it…..

You're telling me there isn't? 

To be fair, I avoided Happy Valley for years, assuming it would be a cross between Juliet Bravo and Last of the summer wine, you think I'd learn.

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

The Bear (Disney+)

Think it's my favourite TV show of the year. Second season has just come out, a great watch.

It's about a chef who takes over his family's sandwich shop after the death of his brother. 

9/10

Each to their own I guess.

I watched 4 episodes and quit.

Just felt it was lots of people shouting at each other. Found I didn't like any of the characters. 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Each to their own I guess.

I watched 4 episodes and quit.

Just felt it was lots of people shouting at each other. Found I didn't like any of the characters. 🤷‍♂️

Another one I gave up on . I'm on a roll today!

Not a single likeable character. Terrible script. Way too shouty, and awful camera work. 

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I gave up on Caliphate after two episodes. It's not the language/ subtitles thing. Probably 75% of my viewing is foreign. It just didn't work for me. Not sure why. 

5 episodes in and I think Caliphate is absolutely top notch....I hope the end isn't a let down!  Up there with Severance at the moment for me..