Watchable telly

dog

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ted Lasso is an enigma to me. Rarely have I watched a programme that I think went so far downhill. I liked the first season a lot, thought the second one was ok but nothing like as funny (and a lot more schmalzy), but stopped with the third after 2 or 3 episodes totally bored with it.

Love Ted Lasso, I'm afraid. No drop off to my mind just more of the same. Lots of poignant moments in the 3rd series and some nicely handled social conundrums. I'll always view the show with a deal of fondness.

4 hours ago, admira said:

Finished it last night. Gets a bit silly with the plotlines towards the end as if they were seeing how many more they could cram in but still watchable. 

I've just been watching it on BBC1 not IPLAYER so will just have to wait a few weeks to see the end. 

It won’t quite be for everyone, but really loved Gallows Pole on BBC2 last night. Directed by Shane Meadows and I think has a lot of his tropes but set in a period drama rather 

All three episodes are on iplayer. If you are familiar with the book I think it serves as a prequel rather than a direct dramatisation of the book 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

It won’t quite be for everyone, but really loved Gallows Pole on BBC2 last night. Directed by Shane Meadows and I think has a lot of his tropes but set in a period drama rather 

All three episodes are on iplayer. If you are familiar with the book I think it serves as a prequel rather than a direct dramatisation of the book 

Recorded it last night but looks good anything directed by Shane Meadows interest me. 

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Finished season 3 of Guilt last night (iPlayer)

The final series and it's been my favourite I think. A great cast and a plot full of twists, back stabbing and double crosses.

I thought the whole thing was wrapped up brilliantly. I thought Season 2 got a bit overly complicated, so I was pleased to see that Season 3 was a return to form.

On 01/06/2023 at 10:26, TuffLuff said:

With Shane Meadows making This is England and Dead Mans Shoes I gave this a whirl last night, More like This was England, I watched the 1st episode all about him walking back from Brum with a knife wound, Dads died and all in the boozer whooping it up with a feast to boot...a table full of Women talking about how they worked a hard P**is 😁and a dirty song thrown in.

I new of the gang near Hebden Bridge in Sth Yorks, All about counterfeiting/clipping, Gave episode two 10mins and bailed out...disappointed.

The acting/actors were reminiscent of the above 2 films. 

On 31/05/2023 at 13:33, therealhantsram said:

Watched two. Ep. 1 was excellent. 2nd was good without being great.

The lead actor is very good. You may have seen her in Russian Doll.

The interesting thing about this show is that it's a love letter to 1980s TV. It's set in the current day, but the styling and scripting are an echo of 80s TV shows. Each episode is a stand alone story, with a story arc through the series.

Id certainly recommend watching ep 1. Then take it from there if you enjoy.

Just finished the series, and I enjoyed it. I have to say, it took me a while to "get it" and realise it's meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek,  as it gently pokes fun at those 80s detective shows.

Natasha Lyonne plays her part with obvious echoes of Columbo and the show gently mocks many of the cliches of this style of 80s detective show. It that sense it reminds me a bit of early episodes of Moonlighting (before it went nuts).

Edited by therealhantsram

Just finished Alice In Borderland. Only put it on as a "summat in the background" instead of terrible TV. 

Watched it with subtitles after Squid Game was ruined with awful voice acting 

8/10. Got better with each episode and the final episode delivered a worthy ending. 

We finally finished Succession and sad there'll not be another one. But probably the best decision if it wants to retain it's all-time classic status.

Season 4 felt more up and down than previous seasons, but still very, very good, with some sparkling scriptwriting/dialogue and consistently great acting. 

We will now go back to watch the fourth and final (for now, not sure if they are making more) season of the brilliant Fauda on Netflix.

I've mentioned this several times already, but I'll risk being boring because it's nudging Gomorrah and Spiral for me as the best subtitled foreign production I have seen.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

We finally finished Succession and sad there'll not be another one. But probably the best decision if it wants to retain it's all-time classic status.

Season 4 felt more up and down than previous seasons, but still very, very good, with some sparkling scriptwriting/dialogue and consistently great acting. 

We will now go back to watch the fourth and final (for now, not sure if they are making more) season of the brilliant Fauda on Netflix.

I've mentioned this several times already, but I'll risk being boring because it's nudging Gomorrah and Spiral for me as the best subtitled foreign production I have seen.

I absolutely loved Succession. I agree that there were some dips in the last series, but there was also some stuff which was superb. One episode in particular was so good, I barely breathed!

I’ll miss the characters and the standard of writing. If you love witty series and you want to learn some fantastic put downs, this is the series for you.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Just finished the thrid series of Fauda - top telly!

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

You have whetted my appetite as Gomorrah is my all time favorite series bar none.  

On 13/06/2023 at 23:54, Alpha said:

Just finished Alice In Borderland. Only put it on as a "summat in the background" instead of terrible TV. 

Watched it with subtitles after Squid Game was ruined with awful voice acting 

8/10. Got better with each episode and the final episode delivered a worthy ending. 

Both are returning.