Atmosphere

Waffle

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

It was very noticeable how quiet you were.

It was a bit embarrassing mate tbh

i shouted across "are you a fan mucker!"

Unfortunately it came out wrong and i nearly got arrested.

Possibly the best joke in Forum history, deserves more likes.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ossieram said:

Those of us at the top of D block in the south stand think we are loud and we sing for the majority of the game, but it seems that nobody more than a block or 2 away can hear us! That's either down to the ground accoustics or maybe we just are not loud at all, the same goes for you lot in the east stand, we very rarely hear you.

Seemed loads better yesterday, I can never hear East Stand either, maybe we need science boffin to design a low acoustic roof for the SS?‍? 

46 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Seemed loads better yesterday, I can never hear East Stand either, maybe we need science boffin to design a low acoustic roof for the SS?‍? 

It was a good point @ossieram made. Take a close look at the other stands when a song is in full flow, and you'll see mouths moving in all of the other stands, but you can't hear it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2018 at 17:55, Norman said:

Ok, so there was no atmosphere in the concourse at Norwich until me, that Tyler who does vlogs and the lad with no shirt and his mates got it going. 

Some other fans looking at us nervously like we're deranged.

As it happens, we were all sat within 10 seats of each other in the stand.

There was your atmosphere. 10 ducking loud voices that wouldn't stop. 50 or so supporting each chant. And probably the same coming from the other side.

Too many betas in the crowd.

Too many who don't want to sing to get it going. Only join in when it is loud enough your voice gets lost in it.

Waste of time talking about it improving. The kind of fan you need doesn't exist in big enough numbers. And the numbers you need aren't even that big. 

It will never improve.

Too easy to make noise at 3-4.

But at home? Forget it.

Forget to respond to this at the time but if I could like this post 100 times I would, especially the beta part. There are too many betas who are comfortable and don’t want to go against social means. I saw a person doing push ups in a city centre, do you think he gave a stuff about what anyone else thought about him?  You’re absolutely correct. However, I don’t this is a unique problem to ourselves or football fans in general. I think it’s a cultural problem where people are too scared to do what they want(within legal means)  in the fear they’re labelled weirdos. Back in the 70s and 80s, football fans in England were louder and one of the reasons for that imo is because there was less of a stigma surrounding it.

There was one game where the man in front of me was the only one who was singing and everyone looked at him like he was an alien, which put him off.

I think we should have the attitude that @B4ev6is and not give a stuff about what anyone else says about ourselves, at football matches and more generally. I’ve been guilty of this in the past, I’d probably never post some of the stuff that b4 has because I’d find it a little too embarrassing. But then you have to ask yourselves WHY it’s embarrassing, well in reality it isn’t. B4 doesn’t let a few negative comments affect him, why should the rest of us?

35 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Forget to respond to this at the time but if I could like this post 100 times I would, especially the beta part. There are too many betas who are comfortable and don’t want to go against social means. I saw a person doing push ups in a city centre, do you think he gave a stuff about what anyone else thought about him?  You’re absolutely correct. However, I don’t this is a unique problem to ourselves or football fans in general. I think it’s a cultural problem where people are too scared to do what they want(within legal means)  in the fear they’re labelled weirdos. Back in the 70s and 80s, football fans in England were louder and one of the reasons for that imo is because there was less of a stigma surrounding it.

There was one game where the man in front of me was the only one who was singing and everyone looked at him like he was an alien, which put him off.

I think we should have the attitude that @B4ev6is and not give a stuff about what anyone else says about ourselves, at football matches and more generally. I’ve been guilty of this in the past, I’d probably never post some of the stuff that b4 has because I’d find it a little too embarrassing. But then you have to ask yourselves WHY it’s embarrassing, well in reality it isn’t. B4 doesn’t let a few negative comments affect him, why should the rest of us?

I assume your point about the guy doing push ups in the city centre is that he DIDN'T give a stuff about what people think. I would suggest quite the opposite. He may have wanted everyone to see him. Why else would he do them there? 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I assume your point about the guy doing push ups in the city centre is that he DIDN'T give a stuff about what people think. I would suggest quite the opposite. He may have wanted everyone to see him. Why else would he do them there? 

Wasn’t worded great, more that he didn’t care if people looked at him and thought he was a weirdo 

On 02/01/2019 at 10:29, Tamworthram said:

Here endeth today's sermon.

I wished I lived in this utopian world where no one works for anything anymore.

Without studying football in other parts of the world where it is believed that a good atmosphere is achieved and maintained at nearly every game (is there such a place? Maybe South America) then it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. It's also difficult to actually quantify the problem with many of us having a selective memory of how much better it was in the good old days.

In my opinion, it's nothing to do with class or life being so much easier and everything being on a plate.

My guess is the main causes are:

1) the design of modern stadiums (I seem to recall the popside was quite enclosed with a relatively low roof which would I reckon helped with the acoustics) including being further away from the pitch

2) All seater stadiums which makes it harder for like minded people (the singers) to congregate together. I also think that sitting down is less conducive to singing and joining in chants. For one thing you're probably a lot more self conscious. 

3) Over emphasis on us being "entertained" prior to (and indeed right up to) kick off instead of allowing the atmosphere to build

4) Improved catering facilities which means supporters arrive at their seats much later than in days gone past when you needed to get on the terrace a little earlier in order to secure your spot and there was little chance of getting a drink anyway.

The list goes on and probably does include a different type of supporter today but not necessarily anything to do with class. 

agree with much of that, suggest an addition to the stadium causes; BBG days you had to be early to get a spot and the atmosphere grew as the ground filled up.  Obviously, now, you can easily for just on kick off.  I don't get to go to many matches and I still love the buzz I get particularly for night games but it is still strange to be standing up as the teams come out with the stadium 1/3 empty

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

But I'm assuming you were also singing, right? RIGHT?!

Just kidding.

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

I would have gone further on the Beta point, but I couldn't be arsed with the replies it would have gotten.

Look at the new Gilette advert. We'll be crying into our tampons every time we score soon as a way of celebrating in a none manly fashion.

• 1 month later...

The south stand started well last night, fair play to them.

But the longer the game went on the quieter the crowd became.   I was thinking why this is? Poor play aside, I’ve noticed many a stadium fall silent during games.  Stadiums renowned for their atmosphere included, then I realised how I came to this conclusion.

Sky.

Many more games are broadcast nowadays compared to pre sky sports.  “Obviously” you will say, but I think people have become accustomed to sitting quietly in the comfort of their front rooms and listening to the commentary.  Ok, we might still go to watch our team every two weeks at home but I feel that this maybe the reason why the atmosphere has drained away from not our club, but most clubs across the country.

I can’t see how that will ever change unfortunately.

Yes, you will get the local derby games that spike the sound levels, but even teams who are winning regularly in the Prem don’t have noisey stadiums, Anfield being a prime example.  Maybe sky just turn the sound levels down so we can sit quietly in our armchairs and listen to the experts explain what we are watching and what they do wrong.

FWIW ... Thought the atmosphere was pretty decent last night considering what was on show. It sure has been quieter in the past.

However, you do have wonder why it isn't all that. Will give you a perfect example. 2 young lads (late teens) who should be giving it some you would think. Sat on there phones all games logging into online banking and snapchat all game. Kinda says it all really doesn't it.

Really do give up at times, I really do.

33 minutes ago, therams69 said:

FWIW ... Thought the atmosphere was pretty decent last night considering what was on show. It sure has been quieter in the past.

However, you do have wonder why it isn't all that. Will give you a perfect example. 2 young lads (late teens) who should be giving it some you would think. Sat on there phones all games logging into online banking and snapchat all game. Kinda says it all really doesn't it.

Really do give up at times, I really do.

Telling me you’ve never taken selfies during the game and gave yourself a pair of bunny ears and cute whiskers?

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Sky.

If you're dedicated to supporting your team you'll go to the ground and make some noise, whether its on TV or not. I share your views on Sky as I think they ruined real cricket by taking it off the BBC but..... I think the real reason is cost.

I might start something here, but a lot of my age group of friends (28-32) simply cannot afford to attend games regularly and I think prices put large numbers of people off. I'm not just talking about at PP but across the league. I read somewhere once that compared to the mid-90s average ticket prices have gone up several hundred percent, in the premier league they went up 312% between '89 and '99. My dad has a ticket stub from Leeds Vs. Derby from 1976 and it's marked at 72p which is about £6.50ish today (accounting for inflation). It's not just the price affecting things (people glued to phones doesn't help!) but it's a big factor.

Most of my friends are starting out in their own place, have young'uns and don't generally have a lot of spare cash. When they do they will go to a game and all of us make it very worthwhile, but a lot of the time they can't afford it. This is an age group who generally make a lot of noise. Sky only worsen the problem when it can just be seen on TV from the comfort of the sofa and a bottle of Bass.

I'm okay with ticket prices but the change in atmosphere I think is down to a combination of ever-rising ticket prices, Sky, everyone having a mobile, etc. 

My issue isn’t with the atmosphere as such, I thought it was ok last night. 

My issue is droves of ‘fans’ leaving on 80 minutes. The south stand seems to empty during this point. What happened to supporting your team until the bitter end?! 

10 minutes is ample time to win any game, no matter how the team have performed up until this point. We should take a leaf out of Birmingham’s main song... ‘Keep right on til the end of the road!’

Archived