Atmosphere

Waffle

As a neutral at every game I will clap along to songs but not sing, but there are a lot of people around me who do neither.   I have no real point so just think everyone is different and pay their money so support how you see fit.  Having been to various clubs in Europe though their fans can be a lot more concerted in their volume levels ( not a criticism on derby fans either)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can’t fault the work over the last few years from other groups such 1884 to try and get something going. I think the club, management and fan base can really be a leader in revitalising match day atmospheres. There are a number of easy things to change (i.e. music before the game/better chants) to make a difference.

I hope if Club 84 gain traction we all back them. If they’re the brand name used as a guise for a big effort by club, ownership and fan base then I’m all for it. 

With a name that sounds like a beach club, I hope they bring back the beach away day that we had during the premier league season!

stop blaming the music pre game if there is a crap atmosphere. The game kicks off...its up to you and those around you to make an atmosphere. It was much better today, still nowhere near where it should be, but people definitely took notice of Lampards comments.  

14 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I think another section needs to be started in north east corner of the ground.

You're targeting me now, ain't yer!!

OK, I admit I was very quiet yesterday... actually, I was nigh on silent... but that was due to serious man-flu/laryngitis/Dying on my feet, blah, blah, blah, not NYE hangover!  :-(

I actually mimed to SBW, just in case you had me in your sights, as you're starting to scare me now!  

In all seriousness, the whole ground seemed a little louder yesterday, which surprised me for a NY Day.  South Stand seemed to up their game a little, and it appeared to do the trick, to a point.  Let's hope we can all keep it up (subject to winter ailments and throat deficiencies, of course... Sorry!)  

12 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

"I'll sing on my own, I'll sing on my own, I love Derby County and I'll sing on my own"................

I put the lack of atmosphere down to people and their lacking of most things in life, let's face it, if something goes wrong it's usually someone else's fault. We live in a world where the bear necessities of life come to so many far too easily (yes I'm watching jungle book) yes far too easily, nobody works for anything anymore, it's just delivered on a plate and then they sit there miserable as hell, with only one intent, and that's to take, take, take and definitely not to give out, to help others.

Put them in a hotel, on holiday, on a road, in a workplace, in a restaurant, in a pub, in a shop, on a bus, on a train, in a hospital etc, etc and watch them behave, so if you think they are actually going to a game of football to actually  support the football club they claim to support and sing and get behind them, then think again and again, and again.

The world went mad many years ago, just like football did, and let's face it, 100 lads and lasses singing their hearts out in a crowd of 3,000 away or 30,000 at home is about unfortunately the norm as the other 2,700 or 27,000 are far too busy wanting to self destruct with all the suffering they bring on themselves with the riches and wealth and greed of modern day life.

Happiness can never be bought or sold at any price.

I'm still singing and I'm ready to wash the dishes, kiss the kids and enjoy the fresh air because I'm alive and ready to enjoy another day.

Let's face it, in all walks of life, it's always a minority of good people always wanting to make a difference and battling against a majority of bad people who can't be @rsed to do anything until after the event when they magically know the answers to everything.

"We love you Derby, we do, oh Derby we love you"..........and "Stick your Audi's up yer@rse!"......

Here endeth today's sermon.

I wished I lived in this utopian world where no one works for anything anymore.

Without studying football in other parts of the world where it is believed that a good atmosphere is achieved and maintained at nearly every game (is there such a place? Maybe South America) then it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. It's also difficult to actually quantify the problem with many of us having a selective memory of how much better it was in the good old days.

In my opinion, it's nothing to do with class or life being so much easier and everything being on a plate.

My guess is the main causes are:

1) the design of modern stadiums (I seem to recall the popside was quite enclosed with a relatively low roof which would I reckon helped with the acoustics) including being further away from the pitch

2) All seater stadiums which makes it harder for like minded people (the singers) to congregate together. I also think that sitting down is less conducive to singing and joining in chants. For one thing you're probably a lot more self conscious. 

3) Over emphasis on us being "entertained" prior to (and indeed right up to) kick off instead of allowing the atmosphere to build

4) Improved catering facilities which means supporters arrive at their seats much later than in days gone past when you needed to get on the terrace a little earlier in order to secure your spot and there was little chance of getting a drink anyway.

The list goes on and probably does include a different type of supporter today but not necessarily anything to do with class. 

12 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

"I'll sing on my own, I'll sing on my own, I love Derby County and I'll sing on my own"................

I put the lack of atmosphere down to people and their lacking of most things in life, let's face it, if something goes wrong it's usually someone else's fault. We live in a world where the bear necessities of life come to so many far too easily (yes I'm watching jungle book) yes far too easily, nobody works for anything anymore, it's just delivered on a plate and then they sit there miserable as hell, with only one intent, and that's to take, take, take and definitely not to give out, to help others.

Put them in a hotel, on holiday, on a road, in a workplace, in a restaurant, in a pub, in a shop, on a bus, on a train, in a hospital etc, etc and watch them behave, so if you think they are actually going to a game of football to actually  support the football club they claim to support and sing and get behind them, then think again and again, and again.

The world went mad many years ago, just like football did, and let's face it, 100 lads and lasses singing their hearts out in a crowd of 3,000 away or 30,000 at home is about unfortunately the norm as the other 2,700 or 27,000 are far too busy wanting to self destruct with all the suffering they bring on themselves with the riches and wealth and greed of modern day life.

Happiness can never be bought or sold at any price.

I'm still singing and I'm ready to wash the dishes, kiss the kids and enjoy the fresh air because I'm alive and ready to enjoy another day.

Let's face it, in all walks of life, it's always a minority of good people always wanting to make a difference and battling against a majority of bad people who can't be @rsed to do anything until after the event when they magically know the answers to everything.

"We love you Derby, we do, oh Derby we love you"..........and "Stick your Audi's up yer@rse!"......

I respect your opinion... but not your maths!  That bit is shocking, in all honesty!

32 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Here endeth today's sermon.

I wished I lived in this utopian world where no one works for anything anymore.

Without studying football in other parts of the world where it is believed that a good atmosphere is achieved and maintained at nearly every game (is there such a place? Maybe South America) then it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. It's also difficult to actually quantify the problem with many of us having a selective memory of how much better it was in the good old days.

In my opinion, it's nothing to do with class or life being so much easier and everything being on a plate.

My guess is the main causes are:

1) the design of modern stadiums (I seem to recall the popside was quite enclosed with a relatively low roof which would I reckon helped with the acoustics) including being further away from the pitch

2) All seater stadiums which makes it harder for like minded people (the singers) to congregate together. I also think that sitting down is less conducive to singing and joining in chants. For one thing you're probably a lot more self conscious. 

3) Over emphasis on us being "entertained" prior to (and indeed right up to) kick off instead of allowing the atmosphere to build

4) Improved catering facilities which means supporters arrive at their seats much later than in days gone past when you needed to get on the terrace a little earlier in order to secure your spot and there was little chance of getting a drink anyway.

The list goes on and probably does include a different type of supporter today but not necessarily anything to do with class. 

Please put me down for this utopia as well, in case you find it. I haven't seen or heard of such a place yet, but would be grateful is someone could point me in the right direction. I seem to be working hard for my mortgage for no apparent reason, apparently you can get it given to you.

44 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I respect your opinion... but not your maths!  That bit is shocking, in all honesty!

I have been drinking since last Wednesday.

I've had more than one of them figures at least, and your right, my maths on that occasion was shocking!

errmmm I was factoring in how Derby and a lot of other clubs in the modern world do the attendances these days by reporting a figure that is not the same figure as the actual real life figure of people actually in the ground on that day, which is another point that highlights the madness of the world, the madness of people, the madness of football and all the rest, never mind class!

And I respect your opinion also.

Surely it's your round. Get em in!

Hence, why, in all honesty I'm going to have another drink!

14 hours ago, Paese said:

Are these conditions ideal for people turning up and feeling like part of the same club, immediately ready to dive into improving the atmosphere? I'd probably say not. 

The type of person who gives ducks over what you have written is not the type of person to get the atmosphere going. Just join in when 3-4 up.

Point well made. Thank you.

In the context of atmosphere (or lack of) it's probably a relatively minor point but get rid of the stadium announcer - he's better suited to a funeral parlour and the "it's in your DNA youth" as his parting shot before the match starts is cringeworthy.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

You're targeting me now, ain't yer!!

OK, I admit I was very quiet yesterday... actually, I was nigh on silent... but that was due to serious man-flu/laryngitis/Dying on my feet, blah, blah, blah, not NYE hangover!  :-(

I actually mimed to SBW, just in case you had me in your sights, as you're starting to scare me now! 

It was very noticeable how quiet you were.

It was a bit embarrassing mate tbh

i shouted across "are you a fan mucker!"

Unfortunately it came out wrong and i nearly got arrested.

South Stand did shout up to the West Stand yesterday with "West Stand give us a song".... and a few did try sat round near me but not enough and their efforts didn't get heard. ?

I've an idea.... on the digital electronic advertising boards... flash something on those so everyone can see all around the pitch then alternate for different stands.... only needs a few seconds! ?

"WEST STAND - SING - WE ARE DERBY, WE ARE DERBY, SUPER DERBY........... etc"

Crap idea?... OK, ignore me. ?

4 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I've an idea.... on the digital electronic advertising boards... flash something on those so everyone can see all around the pitch then alternate for different stands.... only needs a few seconds! ?

giphy.gif

It was slightly better yesterday, but I did notice one thing that made me laugh.

You always have fans that will sit and clap along with a song rather than join in with the singing, but I did notice some in the east stand that were clapping along when Boro were singing "we're the red and white army"! So either we had Boro fans in there or they just go into auto mode when they hear a tune they recognise and just clap along with it.

We need to clean up some of the lyrics which i'm afraid have become quite base and defamatory 

For example

• neat ground, nice fans
  • neat ground, nice fans

• Sit down young chap!
  • Sit down young chap!

• Gary Rowett. what rancour, what rancour!

I think you will then find that West Stand then join in with alacrity.

3 hours ago, REDCAR said:

South Stand did shout up to the West Stand yesterday with "West Stand give us a song".... and a few did try sat round near me but not enough and their efforts didn't get heard. ?

Crap idea?... OK, ignore me. ?

I'm afraid it would be as embarrassing as when they used to put the words up to SBW. The visiting fans would find it hilarious.

At least you've proposed an idea though. Keep trying. 

It was a bit poor New Year's Day but to be fair it's not the best day to judge. I'm East Stand which is 50/50 depending on where you are and usually we're loud, either singing, shouting or jeering at the away fans, but I struggled yesterday. Hungover, still got the flu, I looked pathetic but still had to go. 

25 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

It was a bit poor New Year's Day but to be fair it's not the best day to judge. I'm East Stand which is 50/50 depending on where you are and usually we're loud, either singing, shouting or jeering at the away fans, but I struggled yesterday. Hungover, still got the flu, I looked pathetic but still had to go. 

Those of us at the top of D block in the south stand think we are loud and we sing for the majority of the game, but it seems that nobody more than a block or 2 away can hear us! That's either down to the ground accoustics or maybe we just are not loud at all, the same goes for you lot in the east stand, we very rarely hear you.

On 01/01/2019 at 10:29, Inverurie Ram said:

Suprised football clubs are not cashing in on selling 'singing' or 'atmosphere' tickets.

It won't be long before they are issuing or having seats with a pair of headphones attached so we can all sing a long to certain PC songs when the club decides it's a good time to sing etc. A 'silent disco' in football grounds coming soon.

At least my kids are not Swansea City fans and want to be mascots, greedy so and so's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

It would seem that DCFC are already on to that. There used to be a "singing section" right behind the goal in the South stand upper - indeed, that was the aim, with many people moving there when it was first proposed. But last season, I think, someone suggested we set up a specific section (i.e. not just the South Stand Upper), so now there is a group to the right of the stand as you face the pitch. But what it has done is pull a load of people out of the original singing group, but now we have two groups starting songs up, almost entirely independent of each other. And if one gets a song going, the other doesn't join in, but more often than not will start a different one.

What this has done is dilute the effect of people getting a song going, because there is only half the volume, an important factor in getting things going, and because whatever is started is almost certain to be interrupted by the other mob coming up with their contribution. Its almost as if there are two sets of supporters.

Then add in the huge number of people who spend more time looking at their phones than actually watching the match. AN important part of the experience is watching how moves develop, and how the match itself is playing out, but it is difficult to do so because these phone-lickers keep interrupting us askin g us if we know the latest score from whatever match they have just obsessed over, or showing you yet another Facebook meme or yet another tweet. There is no way on earth that they can get involved in singing. The only atmosphere they are interested in is whether there is enough Wifi signal. Shut up and leave me to get involved in the match I have paid hard-earned money to actually watch. 

Rant over ................................. for now!

Archived