Championship clubs breakaway league

therealhantsram

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm fairly sure the PL sell international rights separate to domestic rights.

I think the current figures are £5.1b domestically over 3 years, and £3.3b internationally over the same period.

The next domestic round went for slightly less, but they more than expect to make up the shortfall in increased international payments.

Just checked - You're right - They used to all be bought by Sky and split out but apparently PL worked out how to make more money with a bidding war

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Simsy said:

I don't know why I didn't realise this or why I find it so amusing but it is Melvyn Morris! :L

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Good Welsh name that. Try saying it a Welsh accent for full effect.

Mmeffllllchggwyn?

Also... When are the Football League going to change their name... I keep getting confused between FL and FL on here!  

After reading the article the Football league dont seem too concerned, which seems dangerous from their perspective. 

I would agree the problem is with the size of the deal in total not with how much each club gets from that paltry amount. I fail to see how the championship clubs would negotiate a worse deal than the Football League has managed.

It might not be Prem levels, but there are some massive teams in the Championship - Villa, West Brom, both Sheffields, Derby, Forest, Boro, and Leeds to name a few. We've got 10 former champions of England in our league and 2 European cup winners. I reckon they would get more money just getting their own fans to pay nevermind a broadcaster.

47 minutes ago, GenBr said:

After reading the article the Football league dont seem too concerned, which seems dangerous from their perspective. 

I would agree the problem is with the size of the deal in total not with how much each club gets from that paltry amount. I fail to see how the championship clubs would negotiate a worse deal than the Football League has managed.

It might not be Prem levels, but there are some massive teams in the Championship - Villa, West Brom, both Sheffields, Derby, Forest, Boro, and Leeds to name a few. We've got 10 former champions of England in our league and 2 European cup winners. I reckon they would get more money just getting their own fans to pay nevermind a broadcaster.

They ought to get Netflix or Amazon prime involved....most people seem to have one or another nowadays and their draw worldwide is massive...they really could boost the draw of the championship and make a lot of money in the process through new subscribers and advertising.

They would be in the position to increase the payments to the champ clubs massively.

12 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

FIFTEEN Championship clubs are threatening a breakaway from the Football League over their objections to a planned new TV deal with Sky.

The sides, which include Derby, Aston Villa and Leeds United, are unhappy about the details of a new deal, believing they should be getting more

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7716036/leeds-aston-villa-and-Derby-among-championship-clubs-war-tv-deal/ 

Can't see it happening.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

They ought to get Netflix or Amazon prime involved....most people seem to have one or another nowadays and their draw worldwide is massive...they really could boost the draw of the championship and make a lot of money in the process through new subscribers and advertising.

They would be in the position to increase the payments to the champ clubs massively.

I would love Netflix or Amazon to get involved or even Google with Youtube. I'd be surprised if Apple wasn't interested as well. Sky is about to become part of Disney though, so will be interesting to see if they can manage to keep hold of the rights with the new backing. Also why tf do I need a separate app to watch NowTV on my pc - we have the internet for a goddamn reason Sky.

RamsTV would have a good chance of making what we get from the new broadcast deal if we could show every game. (although we would likely make more from a broadcaster deal) We are currently forced to charge £10 per game (if even allowed to show them) and obviously not everyone would pay to watch every game, but you would only be needing 5000 to each game to be getting close to the money we get at the moment. Not insurmountable numbers.

Another batch of clubs that are not thinking about the good of the game but themselves. 

The extra money will find its way into agents and players pockets. 

By all means work with the rest of the clubs to look into different ways of getting tv / commercial revenue, but to threaten to breakaway, it smacks of playground bullies. 

Irrespective of the clubs involved, the championship has never been a tv crowd puller, which is why the highlights have gone from ITV/ BBC to Quest via C5. 

56 minutes ago, cosmic said:

As a founding member of the football league, shouldn’t we be trying to save it rather than threatening to break it, take our ball and go home?

Football started in 1992 as far as the suits at Sky are concerned. Not sure they care what we do.

Here's what could happen as soon as different governing bodies get involved and clubs get greedy. 

If you are a fan of a club in Scotland and you want to watch your team on tv you need to subscribe to:

Bt sport for the league cup,

Sky tv for the league 

Premier sports for the Scotish cup. 

The championship clubs need to be careful what they wish for, because selling rights to a Netflix / Premier sports etc might lead to games moved to all times and days of the week.

14 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Isnt the championship the second most watched league in the world after the prem ? Not sure if I made that up but I think that's what ive heard. the difference between the 2 income wise is a joke.

In terms of attendance, total and average, the Championship is quite high.
But in terms of watched league on Tv deals worldwide, no way is it anywhere near 2nd. the MLS has more viewers world wide than the EFL. then you can throw in bundesligsa, serie a, and la liga while you're at it.

12 hours ago, Full Screw said:

Three leagues in the top ten!

No doubt at all that England is the home of football. More people watch League 1 than Portugal's top league.

Amazing stats.

it helps when you have 24 team league, and 46 games a season for every club.

I wont do the maths but the total amount of games and therefore attendance is of course not comparable to a league with 18 teams. and therefore only 34 match seasons. Then there are all those countries outside of Europe, korea, japan, Russia, and US where the season is probably 6 or7 months long instead of 10!

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The average Championship game pulls in somewhere around 300k viewers. Meanwhile, the lowest Prem game pulls in 450k, with the average being about 900k. 

(https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-aston-villa-nottingham-915465)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/869181/english-premier-league-television-viewership-uk/

and world wide, just because its the EPL, sadly Huddersfield vs brighton will pull in more than Derby leeds.

I can’t see these clubs letting the rest of the 72 members slowly die?

Theyd be no better than the machine they’re rebelling against.

Rumour has it that the Premier League on formation offered the League 20% of all revenue as a sweetener.  The league turned them down.  I think 2% is roughly what they get now.

So maybe the finger could be pointed in other areas too?

56 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I can’t see these clubs letting the rest of the 72 members slowly die?

Theyd be no better than the machine they’re rebelling against.

Rumour has it that the Premier League on formation offered the League 20% of all revenue as a sweetener.  The league turned them down.  I think 2% is roughly what they get now.

So maybe the finger could be pointed in other areas too?

Dog eat dog, every club is looking out for itself.

Hopefully this takes us another step closer to the implosion of football along with a massive financial reality check from all parties involved in the game.

13 hours ago, cosmic said:

As a founding member of the football league, shouldn’t we be trying to save it rather than threatening to break it, take our ball and go home?

That argument was lost in 1992.

Doesn't matter what it's called to me, only that the gap between leagues in financial terms shrinks to make it more competitive.

Maybe this time a sweetener to Lg1 and 2 would bring them along with us.

Would much rather have four divisions of PL with a more even distribution of money than the imbalance we have now in the Football League.

The average Championship club receives about £3.7m (£2.95m + a share of £17.7m based on TV appearances).

That works out as only £161k per home game. The figures I shared yesterday showed the average Championship game had about 300k domestic viewers. That means the average Championship club receives only 54p per viewer.

The average Premier League club receives £117.5m per season equating to £6.87 per domestic viewer.

Archived