Championship clubs breakaway league

therealhantsram

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The Championship is a very attractive league, the attendance figures show that. If it was correctly marketed as Premier League 2, because that's what it is, then I see no reason why the tv/online viewing figures & revenue shouldn't be increasing. It didn't take much to get Derby better known world-wide. I see no reason why PL/Championship couldn't be similarly elevated.

Respectfully disagree here. Talking TV figures not live: In no sport that I am aware of does the lower level ever attract the viewing figures of the top level. 

Golf people watch the majors but very few of any other matches.

Formula 3 is more exciting than Formula one but gets miniscule TV audience

Tennis , the big Slams get good figures but hardly any other events.

Football- ignoring the main leagues, look at the Europa Cup compared to the Champions league- one known as the losers league and has low figures. In many ways that is a parallel to your Prem2 proposal.

People watch winners not also rans

Sky may be the fall guy here (plus BT and Amazon) but they do know how to assess the value of a sport to them and their customers. Personally I'm at the limit of my subscription and I got a goodish deal at £40. If it goes up I'm out.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Respectfully disagree here. Talking TV figures not live: In no sport that I am aware of does the lower level ever attract the viewing figures of the top level. 

Golf people watch the majors but very few of any other matches.

Formula 3 is more exciting than Formula one but gets miniscule TV audience

Tennis , the big Slams get good figures but hardly any other events.

Football- ignoring the main leagues, look at the Europa Cup compared to the Champions league- one known as the losers league and has low figures. In many ways that is a parallel to your Prem2 proposal.

People watch winners not also rans

Sky may be the fall guy here (plus BT and Amazon) but they do know how to assess the value of a sport to them and their customers. Personally I'm at the limit of my subscription and I got a goodish deal at £40. If it goes up I'm out.

With much less coverage and minimal marketing of the league, the Championship still manages to pull in 300k domestic viewers to the Premier League's 900k per game. Imagine, if someone tried to market it properly. Sadly, TV revenue isn't anywhere near proportional to the viewers.

I don't blame Sky - they're tried to show as many games as possible whilst paying out as little as possible. The EFL need to realise the size of the market available to them and demand more.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

The whole sky sports type of scenario is a very sticky wicket for me 

i really enjoy watching the championship- competitive and my team is in it

premership - I simply don’t watch it

European champions league - not interested- europa cup - not interested 

other leagues around the world  - not interested 

everything else 

rugby - don’t watch it 

tennis don’t watch 

golf - don’t watch it apart from the Ryder cup every two years

F one - don’t watch it 

cricket - yep I like the England stuff and 20/20 matches

NFL NBA - not interested 

any women’s versions - don’t watch it ( sorry ladies) 

well what am I saying ? - I would only like to buy and pay for a very small amount so why can’t I competitively do that legally 

Isn't that what NowTV is for? You just pay for a NowTV pass whenever Derby is on Sky Sports - don't need a subscription or anything. 

3 hours ago, curb said:

Then why did the Premier League clubs resign from the football league and join together to form the Premier League. 

It was because the football league didn't look after their interests or see how TV was developing. 

Can you honestly say the football league would now be bringing in the deals that the Premier League are making?

Theyd probably still be charging 100k a year for a Sunday highlights show. 

I would say the PL clubs left for greed by taking a larger share of the TV money and took advantage of the growth of satellite TV to maximise revenue.   

With regards whether the FL would be bringing in similar deals to what the PL is making now, I have no idea and I don't think anyone else could say so either way.

The fates of the bottom half of the PL and the Top of the championship are intertwined. Surely the none “super clubs” should be lobbying the PL for better financial distribution on the grounds of “there but for the grace of god” if nothing else.

Its not the money that is the problem it’s how it’s balanced and shared out - The PL have created a boom or bust scenario in the national game and needs to work to change it. 

8 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Saturday evening, sky sports main event. England women versus South Africa women.

I didn't say it was on all weekend.

****sorry, it was Friday night England played, Saturday was Ireland v New Zealand******

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/31996/11534257/icc-womens-world-twenty20-on-sky-sports-cricket-how-to-watch-every-ball-and-follow-every-over

I like watching women

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With much less coverage and minimal marketing of the league, the Championship still manages to pull in 300k domestic viewers to the Premier League's 900k per game. Imagine, if someone tried to market it properly. Sadly, TV revenue isn't anywhere near proportional to the viewers.

I don't blame Sky - they're tried to show as many games as possible whilst paying out as little as possible. The EFL need to realise the size of the market available to them and demand more.

You are Mel and I claim my £5! 

On 20/11/2018 at 20:50, 86 points said:

Wish you and a few others would stop bashing Londoners at every available opportunity. Boils my piss tbh. FYI, cockney is a term applied to East Londoners who lived in close enough proximity to St Mary-le-Bow Church in Cheapside as to be able to hear the church bells. So tell me, do you seriously believe that East London is a seething bed of Citeh fans? Really?!? I can tell you for a fact that if you do, you're wrong.

It’s called banter mate.  Fishing, winding, poking with a stick and when we get a bite we all shout “Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhh!” and laugh.

Its a bit like them cockneys call us up in Derby Northerners. 

Chill Winston, be proud if you’re a cockney, like @Angry Ram 

He’s the biggest cockney I know, and he lives in a roof top apartment next to Harrods.  You should see his pearly jacket he wears for away games.

On 12 November 2018 at 10:00, Ghost of Clough said:

The average Championship game pulls in somewhere around 300k viewers. Meanwhile, the lowest Prem game pulls in 450k, with the average being about 900k. 

(https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-aston-villa-nottingham-915465)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/869181/english-premier-league-television-viewership-uk/

Ah, but....

Any Rams game is Way above average!

34 minutes ago, Boycie said:

It’s called banter mate.  Fishing, winding, poking with a stick and when we get a bite we all shout “Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhh!” and laugh.

He’s the biggest cockney I know, and he lives in a roof top apartment next to Harrods.  You should see his pearly jacket he wears for away games.

Us cockneys can take  a bit of ribbing.. We give enough out, ya gotta be able to take it.

By the way, I sold the apartment next to Harrords, some Russian geezer with cash in a coupe of duffle bags made me an offer.

86 is right about true cockneys but the perception is north, south, east or west London. You are a cockney..

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well surely the club's kicking up the fuss think there is better money to be made elsewhere and I think Leeds chairman is well positioned to have insight on this.

I'm not sure why you would not want to use the Premier League as a comparison? This would have to be the starting point. Ok you would not expect to achieve the same £ per viewer but you would want to know why the disparity is so great.

I'd also want to know what is being offered in terms of compensation for declining attendances, should that be the case since the introduction of the red button matches.

For me, the EFL does not appear to have protected the interests of all of its member and signing a 5 year deal at a time of rapidly evolving treads and technologies is bizarre to say the least. 

As i understand it the FL out the contract out to tender and the highest bid wins. If someone else was willing to pay more then they would have done it already. I don't think the level of interest elsewhere, if any, has been made public.

PL could be used as a comparison but so could other TV rights. The Scottish Premier Football League just agreed a deal with Sky for a quarter of the value of the EFL deal (far fewer games though) with their viewing figures being very similar to EFL games. The Rugby Union and Rugby League are both far less than the EFL deals (not sure about pro-rata figures though). 

It is certainly a gamble making the midweek games available on the red button. In many respects this is the sort of innovation that the FL are being accused of not doing. I'm very much against this as I suspect away followings will reduce but home gates will probably suffer less as 80% are season tickets. There is also a stipulation that the red button games are not available to Pubs and clubs.

The five year contract I would suspect is to guarantee a level of security for the clubs which SPFL have also agreed to with Sky. It does represent a 35% increase whereas the PL's last domestic deal fell for the first time, with Sky paying significantly less per game. I think this also protects against rapidly changing technologies which is likely to mean them dodgy boxes that you can get Sky on for nothing.

I would say that Sky need us and we need Sky if the aim is to maintain or increase TV revenue. Personally I would sack it off and leave the games at 3pm on a Saturday. All the increases in TV money always goes on wages anyway. 

26 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

As i understand it the FL out the contract out to tender and the highest bid wins. If someone else was willing to pay more then they would have done it already. I don't think the level of interest elsewhere, if any, has been made public.

PL could be used as a comparison but so could other TV rights. The Scottish Premier Football League just agreed a deal with Sky for a quarter of the value of the EFL deal (far fewer games though) with their viewing figures being very similar to EFL games. The Rugby Union and Rugby League are both far less than the EFL deals (not sure about pro-rata figures though). 

It is certainly a gamble making the midweek games available on the red button. In many respects this is the sort of innovation that the FL are being accused of not doing. I'm very much against this as I suspect away followings will reduce but home gates will probably suffer less as 80% are season tickets. There is also a stipulation that the red button games are not available to Pubs and clubs.

The five year contract I would suspect is to guarantee a level of security for the clubs which SPFL have also agreed to with Sky. It does represent a 35% increase whereas the PL's last domestic deal fell for the first time, with Sky paying significantly less per game. I think this also protects against rapidly changing technologies which is likely to mean them dodgy boxes that you can get Sky on for nothing.

I would say that Sky need us and we need Sky if the aim is to maintain or increase TV revenue. Personally I would sack it off and leave the games at 3pm on a Saturday. All the increases in TV money always goes on wages anyway. 

I'm more than confident that most Championship clubs would make more money by streaming their own games without restriction

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Already apologised to @Tamworthram for biting. See post from yesterday. Was a bad day is all ?

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Us cockneys can take  a bit of ribbing.. We give enough out, ya gotta be able to take it.

By the way, I sold the apartment next to Harrords, some Russian geezer with cash in a coupe of duffle bags made me an offer.

86 is right about true cockneys but the perception is north, south, east or west London. You are a cockney..

I've been living in London for 10 years now. Am I a true cockney yet? 

What's the initiation ceremony? And when do I get the keys to the Cockney Rams Society?

Archived