Championship clubs breakaway league

therealhantsram

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The average Championship club receives about £3.7m (£2.95m + a share of £17.7m based on TV appearances).

That works out as only £161k per home game. The figures I shared yesterday showed the average Championship game had about 300k domestic viewers. That means the average Championship club receives only 54p per viewer.

The average Premier League club receives £117.5m per season equating to £6.87 per domestic viewer.

Not being funny but I'm worth a lot more than 54p, I challenge Sky to go find someone better for 54p. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The value of the TV deal is probably reflective of the market price unless someone is suggesting that Sky are getting a cheaper subsidised deal from the Football League. I share concerns about red button content as this undermines the match-going public. 

ITV Digital overvalued the rights to FL games and went bust off the back of it. The value of the rights then went down and has remained pretty consistent since. 

Better redistribution of money from the PL is the answer and is in the favour of all but about 8 teams in English Football. Reducing inequality in the system will reduce all-or-nothing attempts at getting in the PL, make the market but not the football less competitive, and thus reduce wages. Our season ticket money, TV subscriptions and Mel's millions are making millionaires of average British players who would get about a quarter of these wages if they were forced to ply their trade in Europe.  

If as the Mirror reports, they are arguing that they as clubs deserve a bigger share of the current EFL offer, then its shame on mel morris for trying to make the league 1 and 2 teams even poorer, and taking money out of their pockets.

However, as I suspect if they are arguing about the overall package, for the EFL being undervalued, and as top clubs, in particular who have all their games screened, being undervalued, then that is a different issue and is a very valid point.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

The value of the TV deal is probably reflective of the market price unless someone is suggesting that Sky are getting a cheaper subsidised deal from the Football League. I share concerns about red button content as this undermines the match-going public. 

ITV Digital overvalued the rights to FL games and went bust off the back of it. The value of the rights then went down and has remained pretty consistent since. 

Better redistribution of money from the PL is the answer and is in the favour of all but about 8 teams in English Football. Reducing inequality in the system will reduce all-or-nothing attempts at getting in the PL, make the market but not the football less competitive, and thus reduce wages. Our season ticket money, TV subscriptions and Mel's millions are making millionaires of average British players who would get about a quarter of these wages if they were forced to ply their trade in Europe.  

But the Premier League is separate from the EFL pretty much for this very reason.

Why would they want to distribute their wealth to something that has very little to do with them?

Not that I disagree with the the content of the post.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

If as the Mirror reports, they are arguing that they as clubs deserve a bigger share of the current EFL offer, then its shame on mel morris for trying to make the league 1 and 2 teams even poorer, and taking money out of their pockets.

However, as I suspect if they are arguing about the overall package, for the EFL being undervalued, and as top clubs, in particular who have all their games screened, being undervalued, then that is a different issue and is a very valid point.

It's easy to sit there typing shame on Mel, when it's not your millions that are required to prop the club's finances up.

I'm pretty sure he will have done his homework on this matter and will have a much better argument than 'we want £20,000 of Accringtons money please'.

The time is right for the football league to create it's own streaming service and these Championship clubs know it. The media giants could begin bidding for the next rights at twice the market value but clubs would still be receiving a fraction of what the audience size reflects. These club owners aren't chumps. They will know how much revenue the likes of SKY Sports generates from advertising and sponsorship associated with the Football league rights alone. 

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Correct. The journalist who wrote the article has just been on Talksport - he says the "rebel clubs" aren't arguing for a larger slice of the pie to the detriment of the L1 & L2 clubs, they are arguing that the pie should be a lot bigger than what the EFL board has agreed with Sky.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

But the Premier League is separate from the EFL pretty much for this very reason.

Why would they want to distribute their wealth to something that has very little to do with them?

Not that I disagree with the the content of the post.

The Premier League itself would not benefit but most of their members would at some point I would say at least 12 PL clubs every year are happy to finish fourth bottom as they deeply fear the financial consequences of relegation. And most of these 12 will be relegated at some point in the next decade and suffer this inequality themselves rather than be the beneficiaries. As a comparison the 2008/9 PL has 9 teams no longer in the PL. Thirteen of the current PL teams have been outside of the PL in the past decade. 

Roughly speaking the PL clubs get between 150m and 100m TV money dependant on their finishing position (about 3m difference per position). By changing this to about 6m per position - meaning the top club would still get 150m but the bottom club instead gets 36m - it could release funds down the pyramid and every Championship club could get 30m per year rather than the current 8m. This has the effect of giving the best performing PL clubs the most money and keeping them competitive in Europe. It reduces the cliff edge of relegation as the difference is only 6m between last in PL and 1st in the Championship rather than the current 90m. A reduced financial incentive for promotion to the PL would deflate wages too. The incentive to promotion would return to be a sporting achievement rather than a financial one. 

Wishful thinking maybe, but if most of the Premier League teams looked at it logically, what business can plan ahead not knowing if their next years turnover will be either 30m or 130m (when the parachute payments run out anyway)?

A division with no possible promotion or relegation, filled with medium-sized clubs with an okay-ish sized fan base. I can see television channels all around the world lining up to get that deal signed! 

The fact that League One & League Two clubs are backing it, ergo already achieving the numbers needed to push it through, means that this is just a waste in time & energy. We, nor any other team, are actually going to go through with a breakaway league when the Premier League money is only one good season away - for every team in this division. 

It's an empty threat, and the Football League & Sky know it. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

A division with no possible promotion or relegation, filled with medium-sized clubs with an okay-ish sized fan base. I can see television channels all around the world lining up to get that deal signed! 

The fact that League One & League Two clubs are backing it, ergo already achieving the numbers needed to push it through, means that this is just a waste in time & energy. We, nor any other team, are actually going to go through with a breakaway league when the Premier League money is only one good season away - for every team in this division. 

It's an empty threat, and the Football League & Sky know it. 

Hi mate, where has anyone mentioned no promotion or relegation??? That's a recipe for disaster

36 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Hi mate, where has anyone mentioned no promotion or relegation??? That's a recipe for disaster

It's not stated, but that would be the only logical outcome - surely? The article states the Premier League aren't interested in working with 'these clubs' so the football league would be the only way of getting promotion to the Premier League. 

I guess if you got the Premier League interested, you could split the English divisions apart similarly to what WWE did with Smackdown (Football League) and Raw (new unnamed breakaway division). The founders select teams interested in moving away, I'd imagine there would be a few non league, League One & League Two clubs that would be interested if it meant climbing the ladder faster. The Premier League could welcome the Champions of both divisions in, with a play-off match between second place. I'm running away with the idea now, but if it doesn't happen we could see us source clubs from France, Germany, Italy & Spain for teams interested in a european breakaway league. 

If either doesn't happen, the only other option is a no promotion or relegation division with the teams that want a breakaway. 

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It's not stated, but that would be the only logical outcome - surely? The article states the Premier League aren't interested in working with 'these clubs' so the football league would be the only way of getting promotion to the Premier League. 

I guess if you got the Premier League interested, you could split the English divisions apart similarly to what WWE did with Smackdown (Football League) and Raw (new unnamed breakaway division). The founders select teams interested in moving away, I'd imagine there would be a few non league, League One & League Two clubs that would be interested if it meant climbing the ladder faster. The Premier League could welcome the Champions of both divisions in, with a play-off match between second place. I'm running away with the idea now, but if it doesn't happen we could see us source clubs from France, Germany, Italy & Spain for teams interested in a european breakaway league. 

If either doesn't happen, the only other option is a no promotion or relegation division with the teams that want a breakaway. 

Sorry not read all of the post but how would the Royal Rumble work?

Think The FA would definitely be up for Footballmania at Wembley.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:52, Angry Ram said:

No we don't.. Sorry fella but that is a bollx statement. Every club is the same.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Here's some viewing figures from the start of the season. 

Stoke City. Oh dear. 

Screenshot_20181115-154230.png

does this surprise you?

It doesnt me.

If you think about which clubs sky continually pick as many times as they can, and you think about which clubs have rel history and therefore fans up and down thw country and abroad. Then that bottom fixture is the only game without one of the big boys.

For all Stokes recent premiership experience, its the Leeds, Villa, Derby, forest, Norwich, Sheffield united and Wednesday and WBA, Boro which lead the way, and you can predict a fixture containing one of these will draw in more viewers than a fixture without them. If you can get a fixture between 2 of them, then you are laughing!

54 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

To be fair to Stoke and Preston, this game clashed with Chelsea v Arsenal. 

Derby's figures are high cos they are the first match of the season, with the other was against Leeds who regularly get the highest viewing figures. 

Yeah, but we don't need to be fair, let's be honest. 

On 13/11/2018 at 09:51, Ghost of Clough said:

The average Championship club receives about £3.7m (£2.95m + a share of £17.7m based on TV appearances).

That works out as only £161k per home game. The figures I shared yesterday showed the average Championship game had about 300k domestic viewers. That means the average Championship club receives only 54p per viewer.

The average Premier League club receives £117.5m per season equating to £6.87 per domestic viewer.

And this is the problem. Of course the Premier league is the premier league and should be a significant step up. That is sport as well as business. But The way the money is structured now is just plain wrong. You have a choice, an old banger with a dodgy MOT versus top of the range with all all the extras.

The championship is the feeder for the prem .. without relegation much of  the spice and intensity is lost. There simply has to be a way of moving a portion of money down the leagues to make it worthwhile without beggaring yourselves . You can’t have a ratio of worse than 1:10 and have a sustainable feeder. .. there are Parachute payments so there should be reaching the Play off payments of similar scale. I want big sexy prem clubs but you can’t make entrance to the prem be like a kid going to the posh dinner party in an Asda Suit and plastic shoes because he had to spend  all his money on a bus ticket.

26 minutes ago, David said:

Odd story, in that it seems to imply Mel is the main driver behind the desire for a better deal, yet barely mentions the other 14 clubs baulking at the deal on offer, never mind the rest of the EFL.

Also makes no mention that a 1/3rd of the payment is for League Cup rights, which are presumably spread between the entire football pyramid on an appearance basis, not just the FL72.

Given Mel's history of being an awkward thorn in the side of the EFL management, dragging them to the  table re streaming etc, I wouldn't be surprised if they're briefing against him at this moment in time.

Archived