Championship clubs breakaway league

therealhantsram

Football league really don't seem to have a clue commercially and it's relationship with the media is hopeless.

For a starter its a joke that most games at 3pm have only one camera, making the highlights programme look incredibly low budget and on some unknown TV channel.

Compare that to Serie B Italian league where all games are broadcast on TV (not that I necessarily support that).

10quid a game ppv mandated price on ifollow/ramstv, what a joke.

Carabao cup hilariously poorly run draws in Thailand. 

Terribly poor EFL website, poo club websites. 

Moving games at incredibly short notice so clubs can receive a pittance in TV money. 

The only worse run league is the Scottish premiership.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across this comment posted on the BBC website:

"It’s an unbelievable amount of money considering true fans are only interested in the Premier League, and the top 6 at that.

So stop your bleating and accept the money offered is way in excess of what the pointless EFL deserves"

What's the chances that it was posted by some arrogant cockney who now "supports" Man City recently having switched their allegiance from Man United.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

"It’s an unbelievable amount of money considering true fans are only interested in the Premier League, and the top 6 at that.

So stop your bleating and accept the money offered is way in excess of what the pointless EFL deserves"

What's the chances that it was posted by some arrogant cockney who now "supports" Man City recently having switched their allegiance from Man United.

I saw that and was going to cut n paste it but it wouldn't let me. Guesses are this "fan" has probably never set foot in a football stadium in their life.

Football's just another reality TV show to some people.

26 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I saw that and was going to cut n paste it but it wouldn't let me. Guesses are this "fan" has probably never set foot in a football stadium in their life.

Football's just another reality TV show to some people.

I think some people post to wind people up. I wouldn’t take that seriously. 

Some do it on the internet when there isn’t a face or confrontation they are hidden behind their keyboard.

48 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just reminded me of when I stopped off in a pub in Stafford to watch the West Brom Derby game. Got hem to switch over from the Liverpool game of course. There was a massive groan from all of the Liverpool ‘fans’, but one comment made me laugh. Quickly finishing off his pint and grabbing his coat, he grunted “may as well watch Coranation Street rather than this rubbish”. ?

51 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Wish you and a few others would stop bashing Londoners at every available opportunity. Boils my piss tbh. FYI, cockney is a term applied to East Londoners who lived in close enough proximity to St Mary-le-Bow Church in Cheapside as to be able to hear the church bells. So tell me, do you seriously believe that East London is a seething bed of Citeh fans? Really?!? I can tell you for a fact that if you do, you're wrong.

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Or just get promoted.

that doesn't solve what they are fighting for though?

All promotion does it ensure your own club doesn't have to worry about the gulf in finances until the next time you are relegated.

Its not just the whole 5p versus for every pound we get, its also the parachute payments. If the gulf continues to widen, and the parachute payments go up each year, eventually you will have a closed shop EPL. You might aswell fix the 20 clubs in the EPL, as for what its worth the same 3 will yoyo between the divisions as they go down every year go straight back up due to the financial muscle they have.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What a really strange comment.

Fans of Championship teams are more likely to attend games I imagine than watching it on tv.

If nobody is bothered about watching it why are Sky paying £595 million for the rights?

Also is he suggesting that people who aren't fans of the Premier League still watch the games? 

He said that when ITV digital went belly up him and numerous owners tried to breakaway and get a better tv deal but couldnt find one. The perception being that the EPL is the only show in town. 

Sky must reckon there's £595m of value in showing live games in the race to the promised land.  Whether the majority of those fans watching are other championship fans I dont know. 

Maybe Skys value is linked to Skybet and the £ they take in bets.  

I can only use Scotland as an example, but the championship and leagues 1-2 doesnt really register up North.

38 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Wish you and a few others would stop bashing Londoners at every available opportunity. Boils my piss tbh. FYI, cockney is a term applied to East Londoners who lived in close enough proximity to St Mary-le-Bow Church in Cheapside as to be able to hear the church bells. So tell me, do you seriously believe that East London is a seething bed of Citeh fans? Really?!? I can tell you for a fact that if you do, you're wrong.

Yep that is how I imagine it to be.

Surely if the league went ahead knowing of the disapproval of its member clubs, there must be a mechanism for some sort of no confidence motion in the board that could lead to its removal? The length of deal in a fast-changing world of media rights really stands out as a strange thing. Wouldn't surprise me if the EFL Board were bonused on getting this done so have signed on the dotted line to get it through before Christmas.

Sky can't afford to lose the Championship while they haven't got champions league rights. They charge a fortune for Sky Sports Football and already we're unable to watch some of the bigger games unless we have BT Sports as well.

I'm not sexist, I'm not but their sports main event last weekend was women's international cricket. This weekend, women's Rugby.

I understand the sports need to embrace women's teams and I'm sure the audience will grow as standards improve and number of people interested increase but christ on a bike, the stadium itself was totally empty, no bugger wanted to go and watch the game live never mind have it as Saturday evening's main event.

I honestly feel we're being force fed women's sport and no-one dares speak out due to equality issues. I'm aware I'll be alienating the female posters here but if anyone wants to boost women's sports get up off your arse and go to watch them live. Increased attendances = increased exposure = increased sponsorship = more money = better standards.

Sky Sports, I pay £75 quid a month and I rarely watch a Premier League game, I subscribed while Burton were in the Championship and now it's only Derby and Forest that keep me hanging around at all. if they lost the EFL as well, what's the point.

I'd be keen to have a look in 12 months when they've had time to work out how much "the red button" games have cost clubs in revenue.

10 hours ago, jagerbob said:

that doesn't solve what they are fighting for though?

All promotion does it ensure your own club doesn't have to worry about the gulf in finances until the next time you are relegated.

Its not just the whole 5p versus for every pound we get, its also the parachute payments. If the gulf continues to widen, and the parachute payments go up each year, eventually you will have a closed shop EPL. You might aswell fix the 20 clubs in the EPL, as for what its worth the same 3 will yoyo between the divisions as they go down every year go straight back up due to the financial muscle they have.

I’ve been saying that for years, but if anything it’s going the other way. 

Most clubs coming down from the Prem are in such a financial mess from trying to keep up with players wages that it takes years to recover, if they ever do. 

Meanwhile fans of clubs outside the top 6 of the Prem are bored because the goal every season is just to stay up. 

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Sky can't afford to lose the Championship while they haven't got champions league rights. They charge a fortune for Sky Sports Football and already we're unable to watch some of the bigger games unless we have BT Sports as well.

I'm not sexist, I'm not but their sports main event last weekend was women's international cricket. This weekend, women's Rugby.

I understand the sports need to embrace women's teams and I'm sure the audience will grow as standards improve and number of people interested increase but christ on a bike, the stadium itself was totally empty, no bugger wanted to go and watch the game live never mind have it as Saturday evening's main event.

I honestly feel we're being force fed women's sport and no-one dares speak out due to equality issues. I'm aware I'll be alienating the female posters here but if anyone wants to boost women's sports get up off your arse and go to watch them live. Increased attendances = increased exposure = increased sponsorship = more money = better standards.

Sky Sports, I pay £75 quid a month and I rarely watch a Premier League game, I subscribed while Burton were in the Championship and now it's only Derby and Forest that keep me hanging around at all. if they lost the EFL as well, what's the point.

I'd be keen to have a look in 12 months when they've had time to work out how much "the red button" games have cost clubs in revenue.

1) No one’s “forcing” you to watch anything you don’t want. 

2) You seriously telling me you pay £75 a month to watch the occasional Derby/Forest match on telly?! It would be cheaper to “get off your arse and go watch them live” every week. And that’s paying on the day, let alone just getting a season ticket! 

You must be raking it in to be spaffing away money like that. That book must have made you a fortune. Congratulations.

The whole sky sports type of scenario is a very sticky wicket for me 

i really enjoy watching the championship- competitive and my team is in it

premership - I simply don’t watch it

European champions league - not interested- europa cup - not interested 

other leagues around the world  - not interested 

everything else 

rugby - don’t watch it 

tennis don’t watch 

golf - don’t watch it apart from the Ryder cup every two years

F one - don’t watch it 

cricket - yep I like the England stuff and 20/20 matches

NFL NBA - not interested 

any women’s versions - don’t watch it ( sorry ladies) 

well what am I saying ? - I would only like to buy and pay for a very small amount so why can’t I competitively do that legally 

11 minutes ago, curb said:

I’ve been saying that for years, but if anything it’s going the other way. 

Most clubs coming down from the Prem are in such a financial mess from trying to keep up with players wages that it takes years to recover, if they ever do. 

Meanwhile fans of clubs outside the top 6 of the Prem are bored because the goal every season is just to stay up. 

Surely the players are bored with it as well you would have thought ( despite the money ? given to them) 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

1) No one’s “forcing” you to watch anything you don’t want. 

2) You seriously telling me you pay £75 a month to watch the occasional Derby/Forest match on telly?! It would be cheaper to “get off your arse and go watch them live” every week. And that’s paying on the day, let alone just getting a season ticket! 

You must be raking it in to be spaffing away money like that. That book must have made you a fortune. Congratulations.

charming. You've missed the overall point but maybe I didn't make it well enough. This is a thread where it's being discussed that Sky don want to pay too much for championship football due to lack of interest. I don't walk into comments like the one I made blindly. I research attendance figures. Womens cricket (1700) Womens EPL (less than 1000) and womens rugby (difficult to find). None of those sports have any widescale interest at the moment live, to put it on the TV discourages the very thing they should be encouraging.

1) I like to watch sport on a Saturday night, I subscribe to Sky, they show womens cricket. I'd prefer to watch a league one game.

2) my sky subscription is £75 a month, I rarely watch TV these days and only keep the subscription for the football. I get up off my arse and travel all over the country to watch Burton Albion live, the Forest/Derby/ championship in general I watch if it's on a different day, different time.

I'm not raking it in, I'm out work but I was (and still am) very good at my job and for two years earned enough to spaff some away.

I'm tired of people having cheap little digs about the book, I haven't made a penny and it's cost me a fortune AND when it's eventually published I still won't make a penny as it'll go to charity. The worst thing I ever did book wise was ask for help at a time I needed i, if I could turn back the clock I wouldn't do it that way again.  The whole project has left me pissed off and emotionally ruined.

Every penny of the money donated by supporters is back in a pot it's 3600 USD and that's despite the fact I used 2k GBP of that on editing and book cover design. I felt incredibly guilty at not keeping timing promises so put back what I spent out of my own pocket.

I don't have access to the list of donors this morning as ti's on a usb stick, did you donate and if so, if I haven't done it already would you like your money back? I fully understand if you or anyone else has lost trust. I don't see your name on the pre order list though and I thought I'd put every contributor on that list.

The reason it's not out is due to the fact a major publisher wants it written by a ghostwriter with a name, my name won't sell many books ,his will. I've given it over to the experts as honestly I kept getting shafted trying to do it on my own.

last point on the funds raised, 2800 USD came from family and best mates,  and i've given back 350 of the remaining 800 to those who asked. I know I havent handled it brilliantly but it's not like I've hived off a fortune and done a runner or gone into hiding.

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

charming. You've missed the overall point but maybe I didn't make it well enough. This is a thread where it's being discussed that Sky don want to pay too much for championship football due to lack of interest. I don't walk into comments like the one I made blindly. I research attendance figures. Womens cricket (1700) Womens EPL (less than 1000) and womens rugby (difficult to find). None of those sports have any widescale interest at the moment live, to put it on the TV discourages the very thing they should be encouraging.

1) I like to watch sport on a Saturday night, I subscribe to Sky, they show womens cricket. I'd prefer to watch a league one game.

2) my sky subscription is £75 a month, I rarely watch TV these days and only keep the subscription for the football. I get up off my arse and travel all over the country to watch Burton Albion live, the Forest/Derby/ championship in general I watch if it's on a different day, different time.

I'm not raking it in, I'm out work but I was (and still am) very good at my job and for two years earned enough to spaff some away.

I'm tired of people having cheap little digs about the book, I haven't made a penny and it's cost me a fortune AND when it's eventually published I still won't make a penny as it'll go to charity. The worst thing I ever did book wise was ask for help at a time I needed i, if I could turn back the clock I wouldn't do it that way again.  The whole project has left me pissed off and emotionally ruined.

Every penny of the money donated by supporters is back in a pot it's 3600 USD and that's despite the fact I used 2k GBP of that on editing and book cover design. I felt incredibly guilty at not keeping timing promises so put back what I spent out of my own pocket.

I don't have access to the list of donors this morning as ti's on a usb stick, did you donate and if so, if I haven't done it already would you like your money back? I fully understand if you or anyone else has lost trust. I don't see your name on the pre order list though and I thought I'd put every contributor on that list.

The reason it's not out is due to the fact a major publisher wants it written by a ghostwriter with a name, my name won't sell many books ,his will. I've given it over to the experts as honestly I kept getting shafted trying to do it on my own.

Weren't England's mens team also on sky playing cricket and rugby, and England's men also playing football on sky on sunday? Why are you saying the women were the main drawer, when they weren't?

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Weren't England's mens team also on sky playing cricket and rugby, and England's men also playing football on sky on sunday? Why are you saying the women were the main drawer, when they weren't?

Saturday evening, sky sports main event. England women versus South Africa women.

I didn't say it was on all weekend.

****sorry, it was Friday night England played, Saturday was Ireland v New Zealand******

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/31996/11534257/icc-womens-world-twenty20-on-sky-sports-cricket-how-to-watch-every-ball-and-follow-every-over

On 12/11/2018 at 09:40, David said:

3rd most watched inside the stadium https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704713

9E460EB2-C460-4C53-B408-EC8D0DAAC28E.jpeg

When you look at those numbers, Sky are paying £3.75bn, BT £975m over 3 years for the Premier League rights. 

Bundesliga have sold their rights to Sky Germany for €4.65bn over 4 years.

And, the Football League are happy to take £119m a year.

We’ve basically played Deal or No Deal and taken the first offer from the Banker having opened a couple of boxes.

Surely Notts Florist are the most-watched football team ever. Period. ? 

Archived