v Sheffield Wednesday (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

7 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

This game was a rowett home game performance. Looked horrendous and all over the place but somehow scored more goals and were let off by some poor finishing from them. I'm just glad this is a blip and not our entire season. Last year was dire.

First 20 minutes was even worse than what (most) games under rowett were, proper dire stuff. You don’t go anywhere playing like that so let’s hope the last two performances have been a one off

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Man some of you are so quick to criticise... of course Wisdom looked rusty today, the poor lad hasn't played a game in 2 months. Today will have done him the world of good in blowing off the cobwebs. Just enjoy the win FFS.

It's a bugger when we win and some of these fans are reaching for the razor blades.

44 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Man some of you are so quick to criticise... of course Wisdom looked rusty today, the poor lad hasn't played a game in 2 months. Today will have done him the world of good in blowing off the cobwebs. Just enjoy the win FFS.

Nobody got much credit in those first 20 minutes, even Huddlestone overhit a couple of passes by 15-20 yard in his rustiness, but we did the proverbial ground it out.

Add for all Wednesday had chances, so did we, i was convinced Marriott was going to score when we broke 15 mins or so to go, but we didn’t.

2 goal cushion and we would have been much more comfortable but hey we won whilst not totally gelling. The positives were seeing Mount and Bryson back at different stages, get them fit, push Wilson wide and we will start clicking again. Teams won’t trouble our defence as much, they’ll be too busy focusing on on forwards ripping them apart.

People need to give it time, I’m convinced another purple patch is just around the corner.

C.O.Y.R’s

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Nobody got much credit in those first 20 minutes, even Huddlestone overhit a couple of passes by 15-20 yard in his rustiness, but we did the proverbial ground it out.

Add for all Wednesday had chances, so did we, i was convinced Marriott was going to score when we broke 15 mins or so to go, but we didn’t.

2 goal cushion and we would have been much more comfortable but hey we won whilst not totally gelling. The positives were seeing Mount and Bryson back at different stages, get them fit, push Wilson wide and we will start clicking again. Teams won’t trouble our defence as much, they’ll be too busy focusing on on forwards ripping them apart.

People need to give it time, I’m convinced another purple patch is just around the corner.

C.O.Y.R’s

another purple patch around the corner?...........that'll be @BurtonRam7 having a slash on all the Stokies!

11 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I generally think people are giving it time. United on all fronts for the first time in a few seasons, doubled what we took to Wednesday last season... people are on board with this team and manager make no doubt about that. That doesn't mean they're free of criticism at times when it's quite blatantly obvious there's some poor aspects. 

There's drama queens on both sides of the fence though, some that are OTT with criticism and others who can't take a bit either. I think it's pretty balanced at the mo, there's plenty of plaudits when we deserve it. 

Just got home, incredible support from the travelling fans.

The result clearly better than the performance and the crisp passing seen in previous games wasn't always there but it will come.

Thought Malone had a decent game, and that flick by Hudz followed by a wicked shot was almost worth the entrance fee alone - where did that pace come from......??

Davies looked decent when he came on and with Stoke's clodders would expect him to retain his place on weds.

Not totally convinced by Flojo - does Frank bring Lawrence back in?

47 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's a bugger when we win and some of these fans are reaching for the razor blades.

Not sure it’s like that. Wisdoms performance today , I think, warranted criticism. The criticism he did get was nowhere near the sort Keogh and Fozzie get for far better performances.

28 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Horrific first 20 minutes but we eventually settled and played some good stuff in the second half. They had chances but nothing massively clear cut minus that Forestieri chance. Davies was absolutely immense when he came on. 

Don’t know about anyone else, but i’d love us to pick up Barry Bannan in January. 

Ran the show today, tho seemed to be all Wednesday had so it begs the question why we didn’t manage to sort him out by marking him tighter. Gave him far too much space to spray the ball about, they didn’t give Huddlestone such respect. But yeah he’s one hell of a player there’s no doubt about that, would love him next to mount in a two.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

First 20 minutes was even worse than what (most) games under rowett were, proper dire stuff. You don’t go anywhere playing like that so let’s hope the last two performances have been a one off

Surely that's two one-offs there, or one two-off maybe? 

A good day out , a good 3 points, but 1 or 2 concerns over the performance. We can’t play Holmes and Flojo in the same team against strong teams. Both too lightweight and when playing near each other, create us no end of problems. For stoke I wanna see Johnson and Waghorn/ Lawrence replace those 2. We will need the muscle  on Wednesday. Main positives were the excellent finishing, plus Malone who needs to be a major player after Forsyths shocking luck with injuries. Onwards and upwards ladies and gents 

Archived