Derby County v Birmingham City Match Thread.

AmericanRam

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone remind me how much net spend Frank made to get this team? 

I am clueless what Frank will do in the Xmas Transfer window. 

Some players may even come here on less money than they have been offered elsewhere. 

Barring major injuries we should be top two for months coming up. 

@86 points are we going to finish on higher or lower than 86 points? If we start getting hard fought away wins to go with our strong home performances we may get over the 86 mark which  used to be the average for Autos but in recent years it  has seemed to go up. With the inconsistency of the League this year 84 points may be enough for 2nd.

I thought we actually started well today. We were all over Brum and could’ve had a couple of goals. Then they score and the game changes. We let the goal affect us for far too long. People stopped making runs, the movement was poor and Brum controlled the pace of the game. Despite the first half being average from our perspective we still had the better chances and didn’t deserve to go in at half time behind.

Second half we absolutely steamrollered them. They just couldn’t live with our movement. Holmes stepped up and had an excellent game (he looks a real prospect), Huddlestone was majestic and definitely MoM. Marriott excellent again and Bennett did really well when he came on.

The one area of the pitch where I thought we were short was centre midfield. Mount was missed today but we played well without him, and without Bryson. Holmes and Wilson have proved themselves more than good enough in there which is the main positive from today for me. We are strong in every area of the team!

Its still too early to say what will happen ....but it’s looking better and better every week!

Just back in temperate climes from our day out under the iron grey skies of Pride Park.

Great fun. So different from the performances I saw last season.

Ok we were a bit lateral across the back in the 1st half and our midfield and forwards weren't playing on the half turn - too many playing passes straight back to the passer. 

Brum at least looked as though they came to give it a go putting 3 players into forward positions quite often and forcing keogh and Curtis deep. But they kept their concentration well and their 20 yard lateral passes to each other were generally accurate. 1-0 was unfortunate but not disastrous. 

The other main talking point of the first half was Campys quite nasty eau de nil kit.

2nd half we were great. The little ball-boy we've drafted into midfield played really well and Tom Lawrence gave up standing on the touchline waiting for passes that never came and joined in a lot more.

South stand bouncing and noisy,  the elderly gentleman behind me tipping his cap. Was all very good humoured.

Excellent behaviour from both sets of fans for the minute applause in memory of the Leicester helicopter crash victims. 

The applause was even louder around me for the replays of Jacks nutmeg of campy tho.

Very much enjoyed our football. Can't remember the last time I saw us come from behind to win. Probably the Brighton playoff 1st leg in 2014. Well done frank and jody.  And duane for his MoM ??

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

An elegant description good sir - not many use the word 'insinuate' in that context but it's a perfect description. You're absolutely right, for such a bloomin unit he's ridiculously light on his feet. As I've said before, if he met the modern day demands for lightening pace as well he'd be captaining England. 

Talking about his stature .. it looked so funny at kick off. Wilson and Holmes looked like 1st formers in short trousers next to big Tom the prefect. Great performance today ....  in both halves ?

36 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I am clueless what Frank will do in the Xmas Transfer window. 

Some players may even come here on less money than they have been offered elsewhere. 

Barring major injuries we should be top two for months coming up. 

I am guessing with the Vydra money coming in Mel just needed to raid the back of the sofa to cover anything over that 

47 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

@86 points are we going to finish on higher or lower than 86 points? If we start getting hard fought away wins to go with our strong home performances we may get over the 86 mark which  used to be the average for Autos but in recent years it  has seemed to go up. With the inconsistency of the League this year 84 points may be enough for 2nd.

If I told you I'd have to shoot you afterwards but here's a clue - I'm changing my username to 96 points next week ?

30 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Has each member of the present Rams squad ever understood better how to play in a team? 

Spot on. We've suddenly gone from a squad of square pegs fitting in round holes to seamlessly moving players around the team. The simplistic answer to that must be that the whole squad is buying into the philosophy of the management. 

3 hours ago, caymanram said:

Uh? Have u checked his positioning for the Brum goal!? Really bad. And quite a few missed passes. But then again the team wasn’t great first half overall.

Like the lad but he's been bad postionally in recent weeks. I honestly think that if we had another gd attacking right back FL would be rotating.....

AL, if we are going to get picky then I think Carson is shaky in his distribution as is Keogh and Fozzy for his attacking prowess isn’t much defensively either etc etc etc ... but Lampard has built a defence to attack. Very few players can combine both defensive strength with great passing speed and creativity. Can’t expect such a player here yet. And I’m just mind Bogled how smooth and creative Bogle is ... add some goals and we have Sessegnon Mk 2. This new DCFC team just a really very good exciting brave side. The ability to connect passes quickly and turn on the burners is just really impressive. Long may it continue 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Here's some thought on transfer fees, but of course it's as much about wages.

Money in:

• 11m Vydra
  • 2m Weimann
  • 2m Rowett
  • 2m Ince (Huddersfield saying up)
  • 100k Hanson

TOTAL 17.1m

Money out:

• Waghorn 5m
  • Marriott 3m
  • Malone 3m
  • Josefzoon 2m
  • Evans 300k
  • Holmes 600k
  • Loan fees for Mount, Wilson, Tomori (unknown)

TOTAL 13.9m + loan fees

In all, I'd say we probably about broke even.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Money in:

• 11m Vydra
  • 2m Weimann
  • 2m Rowett
  • 100k Hanson

TOTAL 17.1m

Money out:

• Waghorn 5m
  • Marriott 3m
  • Malone 3m
  • Josefzoon 2m
  • Evans 300k
  • Holmes 600k

TOTAL 13.9m + loan fees

I think were also paying money for Lawrence and Wisdom as they play games.  This might be negated by appearance money we get for Hughes and think we got about 200,000 for Vernam/Zanzala .   Maybe a loan fee for Martin ?

6 hours ago, SuperFrankieL said:

Was kinda flustered at HT but the fifteen minutes break gave me a lot of hope since we've usually switched on if we've not had a great first 45 minutes this season. Good result, solid performance. UTR!

I can’t help but love your comments as you are a self confessed Chelsea fan.

Are we that lovable?

(I’m not knocking you by the way)

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Money in:

• 11m Vydra
  • 2m Weimann
  • 2m Rowett
  • 100k Hanson

TOTAL 17.1m

Money out:

• Waghorn 5m
  • Marriott 3m
  • Malone 3m
  • Josefzoon 2m
  • Evans 300k
  • Holmes 600k

TOTAL 13.9m + loan fees

Must have got something for Jerome?

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Must have got something for Jerome?

Good point. Though not exactly a spring chicken... 

Meanwhile, it's rare for our average positioning through a game is quite so neat as this:

Screenshot_20181103-235354.thumb.png.5c51bb0ebc233d755f30977d27e2f9de.png

We normally play in pairs like Bennett and Wilson here. I've not seen Marriott so far forward and separate from the rest, though that's maybe because he and Mount normally play next to each other, with Mount sometimes the furthest forward. 

Our fullbacks are also normally pushed on more, but you have to admire the organization of that symmetrical back 6 - a thing of beauty. 

Archived