Derby County v Birmingham City Match Thread.

AmericanRam

2 hours ago, rustylee said:

Not read through so might have been mentioned but did that ref seem to mark out the shortest of ten yards when pushing their wall back for some of our free kicks

Yes, I noticed that he was pacing out 9 medium steps. The one free kick which hit the wall was probably less than 8 yards. The green stripes outside the box are 5 yards wide and the free kick was spotted at least a yard inside the second stripe whilst the wall was at least a yard outside the penalty box. 

Refs need to use pitch markings to help them, you see free kicks on the 'D' and the wall a yard or two in front of the Penally spot, which is 10 yards. 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here's some thought on transfer fees, but of course it's as much about wages.

Money in:

• 11m Vydra
  • 2m Weimann
  • 2m Rowett
  • 2m Ince (Huddersfield saying up)
  • 100k Hanson

TOTAL 17.1m

Money out:

• Waghorn 5m
  • Marriott 3m
  • Malone 3m
  • Josefzoon 2m
  • Evans 300k
  • Holmes 600k
  • Loan fees for Mount, Wilson, Tomori (unknown)

TOTAL 13.9m + loan fees

In all, I'd say we probably about broke even.

Thanks. Masterly summary Carl but still beggars belief how Frank and co had this plan and have brought us this far. Mel is keeping quiet but may have Jawache with nonstop grinning. Was last summer window one of the Rams's best ever for clearing out and improving performance and entertainment value? Only Mount was a  near certainty as an improvement. COYR??️?

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Thanks. Masterly summary Carl but still beggars belief how Frank and co had this plan and have brought us this far. Mel is keeping quiet but may have Jawache with nonstop grinning. Was last summer window one of the Rams's best ever for clearing out and improving performance and entertainment value? Only Mount was a  near certainty as an improvement. COYR??️?

With the incoming dosh I missed for Jerome we really must be in credit. At this point it does indeed look one of the all-time great transfer windows. It's a long, tough season, but right now I'm so happy for Mel as he deserves so much happiness for his money. 

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

With the incoming dosh I missed for Jerome we really must be in credit. At this point it does indeed look one of the all-time great transfer windows. It's a long, tough season, but right now I'm so happy for Mel as he deserves so much happiness for his money. 

Could not agree more, Carl. ?

I think Lampard is one of the highest paid in the league. I think when we hired Clement he was highest paid, I think Rowett was highly paid to start then "improved" when Stoke came first time round. I'm pretty sure Nigel "but Leicester" Pearson was well paid, in fact, i think the only "bargain" post Clough was Mac 2.

It's probably impacted us a fair bit getting rid of em, except Rowett.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Refs have no excuse for getting it wrong. All they need to know is how many of their paces equates to 10 yards - a 5 year old could show them the way to do it.

Not has straight forward has that....do you take exactly the same stride length every time you go for a walk?.

Once you know it takes you say nine paces to get to the distance you will be get it close more often than not.

Try it yourself massure ten yards and pace it out and Mark it. Then do it a couple of times over the next week and see how close you get Then do it a year later and see the difference you will be surprised the change in the number of strides.I started out at nine and over the years it is now close to eleven.

2 hours ago, caymanram said:

Wonder what sort of money FL is on- both generally and compared to GR and other previous managers..., must be on a fair bit..,,,

No idea on FL.

I think GR was on a distance bonus formula,something like.

Distance hoofed by 100 minus possession % less passes made multiplied by how fast everyone ran forward when in possession?

Refs have no excuse for getting it wrong. All they need to know is how many of their paces equates to 10 yards - a 5 year old could show them the way to do it.

I dont think getting a 5 year old to show them would work to be honest. I mean kids grow at a rapid rate they would have to be constantly reeducating themselves how many steps 10 yards was.

?

2 hours ago, caymanram said:

Wonder what sort of money FL is on- both generally and compared to GR and other previous managers..., must be on a fair bit..,,,

We can only guess, have seen some state its 2 million plus but thats just guesswork. I would personally think hes on a lowish salary as a new manager, lets say 500k a year with bonuses based on success, so much for play offs and massive bonuses for promotion etc.

I love it that with all the technology in today’s game the ref still takes steps to measure 10 yards.

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I love it that with all the technology in today’s game the ref still takes steps to measure 10 yards.

I know what you mean, cant he just carry one of these around? Not even new tech, we had them when i was at school.

index.jpg.530e54daee51bb30aaf136e928e6a52f.jpg

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Yes, they could have one of those little machines that estate agents use to measure room dimensions.

God no, have you seen an estate agents perception of size? Just read an advert posted for a home for sale. Spacious 3rd Bedroom = Broom Cupboard. All free kicks would be taken with defenders standing about 2 yards away.

4 hours ago, rustylee said:

Not read through so might have been mentioned but did that ref seem to mark out the shortest of ten yards when pushing their wall back for some of our free kicks.

Really glad you posted that ? I hate moaning about refs .. they have a tough job but you’re spot on his mincing little steps were about 2 feet each and I think on the first key one he only did 9 steps. I doubt we had 7 yards never mind 10 ! 

Archived