Biggest waste of money

Poynton ram

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I seem to remember there a few duff players at the end of TBEs time.

Lee Morris I recall being quite disappointing.

He did score a great goal for Yeovil against Forest in the playoff game though.  If he hadn't come here and flopped that wouldn't have happened so 2.5-3 million well spent.  If I remember rightly, we bought him knowing he had a badly broken foot and wouldn't play for about four months .

Anya has to be up that at this current moment, but I guess £4m in today’s money compared to the £3.5m for Claude Davis back then looks like a bargain...so has to be Claude Davis!

Frightening to think some of the dross we’ve had though, remember Connor Doyle...he had never been a footballer. I’m still convinced he was related to one of the old American owners because surely our scouts weren’t that bad. 

Its all relative but I think I read somewhere that Derek Hales took the entire transfer budget for the 76-77 season (remember there weren't windows in those days so you could do a deal anytime).

And he was completely tosh, did nowt and was flogged at a huge loss as we plummeted. And that one wasn't even Dochertys fault cos he was a Colin Murphy signing (I think)

Bradley Johnson.

He came for a record fee, we’ve become worse while he’s been at the club, he’s raked in about £1.5m per year in wages, and he’ll leave for free at the end of the season.

£12m plus down the drain.

None of the Billy Davies flops come close. At least on a few of those we got some sort of fee back.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bradley Johnson.

He came for a record fee, we’ve become worse while he’s been at the club, he’s raked in about £1.5m per year in wages, and he’ll leave for free at the end of the season.

£12m plus down the drain.

None of the Billy Davies flops come close. At least on a few of those we got some sort of fee back.

Is it nailed on that he'll leave for free though? I'd say there is a good chance he may be playing himself into a new contract with his current form. On the hand it may be a case of the old fairy tale that he's only playing well in his last year to secure himself a lucrative move.

9 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Is it nailed on that he'll leave for free though? I'd say there is a good chance he may be playing himself into a new contract with his current form. On the hand it may be a case of the old fairy tale that he's only playing well in his last year to secure himself a lucrative move.

He’s 32 next April. We’d be mad to keep him on, especially on his current wages.

The only way we should even consider keeping him is to give him a one-year extension on around 1/3 of his current wages, and have him as a squad player.

He isn’t good enough for the role we require in the current system. I think he’s playing well taking into account his own limitations, but it’s still not what we need.

Archived