Biggest waste of money

Poynton ram

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I can't believe that Luke Varney hasn't been mentioned. A 1 million pound fee at the time was big for a championship striker and he was absolutely awful, when he actually played!! 

Cloughy had a pretty dreadful record with strikers....Plasticene Porter, Cow's *** with a Banjo Varney, Luke Moore and Conor Sammon.

But he did redeem himself by finding Chris Martin for nowt having splurged all that loot on no hopers?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

He’s 32 next April. We’d be mad to keep him on, especially on his current wages.

The only way we should even consider keeping him is to give him a one-year extension on around 1/3 of his current wages, and have him as a squad player.

He isn’t good enough for the role we require in the current system. I think he’s playing well taking into account his own limitations, but it’s still not what we need.

Fair point, I didn't realise he was that old. I thought he was about 28/29 years old. As you say though a new contract on reduced terms wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility if he can continue his recent form. Having said that I would presume FL would probably prefer to trade him in for a younger model.

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Cloughy had a pretty dreadful record with strikers....Plasticene Porter, Cow's *** with a Banjo Varney, Luke Moore and Conor Sammon.

But he did redeem himself by finding Chris Martin for nowt having splurged all that loot on no hopers?

Varney was Jewell, Porter was supposedly already in place but was signed after Clough was appointed 

To be fair as well, Luke Moore was signed out of desperation after Hulse was sold, Davies was injured and Moxey wasn’t the striker we needed

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

Fair point, I didn't realise he was that old. I thought he was about 28/29 years old. As you say though a new contract on reduced terms wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility if he can continue his recent form. Having said that I would presume FL would probably prefer to trade him in for a younger model.

Think young George Evans is the ticket to be honest. Looked really promising and could end up being a massively inspired signing given the relatively small fee paid. George Thorne may still have something to offer too so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Unlike one or two I actually feel that Bradders is playing some really good stuff at the moment  so it might be a nice 'problem' to have.

2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

I can't believe that Luke Varney hasn't been mentioned. A 1 million pound fee at the time was big for a championship striker and he was absolutely awful, when he actually played!! 

He was that poor, I'm sure when he was on loan to Charlton from us we let him play against us.  When he went to Blackpool on loan though he was dynamite.  Very odd.

4 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Didn’t we sell Varney though, so made some back on him?

In Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield we’ve spent over £20m in fees and wages and they’ve offered us nothing. Zilch.

And the worst part is they’ll leave for a free at the end of the season with us being in a worse position than when we signed them.

That is what you call a waste of money.

If you compare to a Premier League club, the equivalent would be like Everton buying a player for £40m, paying him £5m a year in wages, and at the end of his four-year deal he walks away for free with Everton dropping from 7th when they picked him up to like 13th.

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Didn’t we sell Varney though, so made some back on him?

In Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield we’ve spent over £20m in fees and wages and they’ve offered us nothing. Zilch.

And the worst part is they’ll leave for a free at the end of the season with us being in a worse position than when we signed them.

That is what you call a waste of money.

If you compare to a Premier League club, the equivalent would be like Everton buying a player for £40m, paying him £5m a year in wages, and at the end of his four-year deal he walks away for free with Everton dropping from 7th when they picked him up to like 13th.

I think you're being really harsh on Bradley Johnson, Bris. he's had several different managers, but has played well when he's been played in either a position or a system that suits him and has been in the team a lot more than he's been out of it.

Has a great attitude and character as well as always wanting to do his best for Derby.

Interesting that Lampard is playing him in a position he's not been too good at previously, but where he is now playing much better. Maybe poor leadership and coaching has had a lot to do with Johnson's patchy form over the time he's been with us.

To say he's given us zilch is a gross exaggeration, imo.

In terms of 'consequential loss', the biggest waste of money was Jimmy Sirrel's air ticket to Cork in 1989 to run the final rule over a certain Roy Keane. Fee (£40k) and terms had largely been agreed until our chief scout decided Roy didn't do enough when not in possession...

In today's money, that decision was about £80m bad!

14 hours ago, angieram said:

Interesting that Lampard is playing him in a position he's not been too good at previously, but where he is now playing much better.

Thought he was very good under Mac 2 playing the holding role, it was only when we tried to play football and played de Fart (?) that we started to falter. 

13 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

In terms of 'consequential loss', the biggest waste of money was Jimmy Sirrel's air ticket to Cork in 1989 to run the final rule over a certain Roy Keane. Fee (£40k) and terms had largely been agreed until our chief scout decided Roy didn't do enough when not in possession...

In today's money, that decision was about £80m bad!

Never knew we were in for Keane.

Archived