Biggest waste of money

Poynton ram

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2018 at 16:55, cannable said:

Varney was Jewell, Porter was supposedly already in place but was signed after Clough was appointed 

To be fair as well, Luke Moore was signed out of desperation after Hulse was sold, Davies was injured and Moxey wasn’t the striker we needed

Moore was pretty terrible.

As I remember it we had Kuqi on loan who was pretty successful, we may even have got into top 6, but for whatever reason we couldn't sign him so went with Luke Moore and progress stalled. Does that sound right?

2 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

Moore was pretty terrible.

As I remember it we had Kuqi on loan who was pretty successful, we may even have got into top 6, but for whatever reason we couldn't sign him so went with Luke Moore and progress stalled. Does that sound right?

I think Kuqi was available all the time. Clough just preferred Moore.

Playing-wise very bad move, but wouldn't surprise me if there were other reasons for it.

24 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I think Kuqi was available all the time. Clough just preferred Moore.

Playing-wise very bad move, but wouldn't surprise me if there were other reasons for it.

Kuqi joined in September on a 3 month loan and played 12 games scoring 2 (Started 8, came on in 4) . After returning to Swansea, he was released in the January. He then joined Newcastle. 

Moore joined in September on a 1 month deal, which got extended to 2, and then to 3 months. He played 13 times and scored 4 (9 starts, came on in 4). 

My memory tells me Kuqi’s sub appearances came towards the end of his loan period (maybe Clough knew he wasn’t going to stay), whereas it was the opposite for Moore, who Clough then tried to persuade to stay with us. 

The 600k We got for Igor Stimac.

Sort of a reverse waste of money but what a waste selling him. I know he had his injury problems, but we didnt half waste a boat load of money trying to replace him.

He went on and played a fair bit of football after he left. No coincidence him and us going from a team pushing for europe to fighting relegation.

One of the worst bits of business we did. For all Jim Smith did for us to start with he sure made a pigs ear of it later on.

Nigel tried to squeeze Moore into the side at every opportunity. Someone at the time said it was because Kuqi was expensive but he was worth more than that hopeless donkey. Moore was totally rubbish. 

Kuqi used to bring our 3 attacking midfielders into the game. Moore was slow as a snail to do anything even though his running speed was actually twice as fast as Kuqi. 

Nigel bottled it a bit that season. We were onto something and he soon went to 442 survival mode. Lost a lot of hope then. 

Bit of defining moment that was. Like Rowett v Wolves away.

One thing I like about Lamps is that we've tried to progress a particular style and bad results haven't made him change his philosophy. He's been fearless so far. 

But Luke Moore was a huge waste of money and time. Minimum wage is too much for him.

Anya is a conundrum. I like him nowhere near as bad as made out. Odd he doesn't get in can only assume its a financial thing.

Remember the Leeds game at the start of this season? There were people on here suggesting that Tomori was worse than Claude Davis. People basically are idiots, and the sooner the meteorite arrives and gives the fish or moles a chance to be the dominant life-form on this insane planet the better.

13 hours ago, eddie said:

Remember the Leeds game at the start of this season? There were people on here suggesting that Tomori was worse than Claude Davis. People basically are idiots, and the sooner the meteorite arrives and gives the fish or moles a chance to be the dominant life-form on this insane planet the better.

No need for the meteorite. We seem to be perfectly capable to extinct ourselves.

17 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Francois Grenet was three mil for 18 games. Claude Davis three mil for 27 games.  Bjorn Otto Bragstad similar price for 12 games.

all poo.  Anya. Waste of money.  

The real story coming out of this is how many we have in the list to choose from ! Even more eyebrow raising is how many are fairly or very recent acquisitions.?

Archived