Mason Bennett

MackworthRamIsGod

Absolute tosh tonight. We hugely disappointed to see him start, then even more disappointed (but expected it) in his performance.

The only highlight was a misplaced pass which ended up being a pass to himself.

I was concerned that Lampqrd started him, then even more concerned that he wasn't taken off at the half.

We can't afford to keep going through games with players not contributing. He's top of this list now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed on the match day thread that he definitely appears to have become the new target for fans.

Frank obviously sees something of his own career in him... the home grown player who works hard and comes good, but needs game time to prove himself.

My fear is he works hard but the comparison ends there. He isn't calm and collected, doesn't have football intelligence and see the pitch.  He has pace and power but little else. He doesnt seem to have that much skill or the flair to beat his man or pick a cross, he doesn't pop up at the right time to run onto things on the edge of the box.  

I applaud Frank for giving him the chance...but he needs a break now...last 20mins when defender is shattered he is probably their worst nightmare, especially if Derby are behind and committing men. But he bugged the hell out of me v Bolton, had so many chances to attack his man and opted for the safe option. Needs a break and a rethink to see if he can step it up to the next level for 90mins.

Not scapegoating him....he has had a quiet few games. I have never seen that much in him but I am prepared to be proved wrong. I just think he needs taking out the firing line for a few games.

23 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Noticed on the match day thread that he definitely appears to have become the new target for fans.

Frank obviously sees something of his own career in him... the home grown player who works hard and comes good, but needs game time to prove himself.

My fear is he works hard but the comparison ends there. He isn't calm and collected, doesn't have football intelligence and see the pitch.  He has pace and power but little else. He doesnt seem to have that much skill or the flair to beat his man or pick a cross, he doesn't pop up at the right time to run onto things on the edge of the box.  

I applaud Frank for giving him the chance...but he needs a break now...last 20mins when defender is shattered he is probably their worst nightmare, especially if Derby are behind and committing men. But he bugged the hell out of me v Bolton, had so many chances to attack his man and opted for the safe option. Needs a break and a rethink to see if he can step it up to the next level for 90mins.

Not scapegoating him....he has had a quiet few games. I have never seen that much in him but I am prepared to be proved wrong. I just think he needs taking out the firing line for a few games.

Totally agree with this and think needs leaving out altogether on sat, I'd like to see Jozesfoon given a start not Lawrence

35 minutes ago, Saity said:

Totally agree with this and think needs leaving out altogether on sat, I'd like to see Jozesfoon given a start not Lawrence

Totally agree. What has happened with josefzoon. Not on the bench . He has flair and skill. He needs run of games. Hope Lamps makes some changes for Saturday. Bennett on the bench and marriot given a start

How is Bennett in the starting 11 and Jozefzoon not even on the bench! Flo Jo has 2 feet and has shown that he can beet a man and score goals. 

Quite annoying that Bennett has been performing averagely for quite a while and stays in the team yet Flo Jo scores twice at Hull in cup and then another in the league and gets dropped. Very strange.

He must be fantastic in training because he offers nothing to the team,felt sorry for Bogle to be honest he was doing both jobs last night in the first half.

If Frank Lampard as him in front of Jo Flo in terms of the 1st team he as been  watching different games than myself

So Bennett is the new scapegoat, eh? No worries, a couple of misplaced passes is all it takes to bring you back into the Brad-hating department.

3 hours ago, Edtheram said:

How is Bennett in the starting 11 and Jozefzoon not even on the bench! Flo Jo has 2 feet and has shown that he can beet a man and score goals. 

Quite annoying that Bennett has been performing averagely for quite a while and stays in the team yet Flo Jo scores twice at Hull in cup and then another in the league and gets dropped. Very strange.

And nearly put a header past man u

• 1 month later...

As Bennett got some stick before he dropped out the limelight, I’m giving this a bump.

No he didn’t do anything spectacular yesterday, nothing too sexy on the ball and yes most peoples grannies could have scored from that far out, ( though I’m sure someone might say Keogh wouldn’t after the miss around 6 minutes in). Mason was in the right place, right time for his goal, contributing with as much energy as others, typically giving his all.

What really stood out though was that tackle in the second half. Can’t remember which lump of a defender from Brum went in for the 50/50 with him, but Bennett crunched him in that full bloodied tackle onto the deck a good un. Made me smile because it showed despite a few injuries, Mason is pretty fearless and also just how much he’s bulked up to bounce a big defender onto his backside.

Seem to remember the bloke having a whinge to the ref seconds later when Wilson got fouled, as if to say what about what happened to me. Aside from the goals, it was good to see Mason sparking and causing the opposition grief; just thought it was worth a mention.

Yep definitely an impact player, really pleased he finally scored he offers something different from our other wingers. He doesn’t have the finesse and quality of the others, but he brings aggression, power and direct running to the table.

hes a good option to have on the bench

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Yep definitely an impact player, really pleased he finally scored he offers something different from our other wingers. He doesn’t have the finesse and quality of the others, but he brings aggression, power and direct running to the table.

Yes, that about sums it up-nicely?

14 hours ago, Zag zig said:

As Bennett got some stick before he dropped out the limelight, I’m giving this a bump.

Think very fair to bring back up - He gets unnecessary stick (in the same camp as Keogh)

12 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Oddly - I think the reason he's never going to be a choice over Lawrence/Waghorn/Wilson etc is his lack of arrogance - You need a certain amount of "I'm better than everyone else" attitude to be a great goalscorer and winger - A firm conviction that you can and will go past that player/stick in in the net from a hard angle - Mason is almost too much a team player and is always looking for the option which helps the team out rather than taking a gamble on his own ability

I always loved Martin because he always wanted the ball and got angry when people didn't pass to him - Lawrence has the exact same - Wilson seems to have a bit of it too - And whilst Marriott is calmer he still has the confidence to have a crack from anywhere (goal in second half against B'ham and shot from 30 yards out in first half)

Not sure whether it will improve Bennett's game to add that arrogance - Or whether his ability isn't quite up to the level needed - Maybe he's better playing the 'good team player' role - But think we should appreciate the role he does and understand it more rather than giving him stick for not being more like our other wingers

Archived