Few idiots spoil the day

B4ev6is
Message added by Day

Full appeal: http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2018/September/15-Sept-Police-appeal-for-information-after-Rams-crowd-trouble-in-Rotherham.aspx

Officers are continuing their enquiries following crowd trouble at the match between Rotherham United and Derby County at New York Stadium on Saturday, September 15.

During the game, a female Derby fan was hit by a seat thrown from the stand where Derby fans were based. She required hospital treatment for her injuries.

If anyone has any information regarding this matter they can contact PC 2179 Roger Brown by email on derbyshirefootballunit@derbyshire.pnn.police.uk.

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Rubbish.

Our idiots don't need any help to shed their one remaining brain cell. Plese don't make excuses for morons.

38 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No it doesn't. Sounds more like the the number of beers consumed exceeded the number of brain cells possessed by some.

Yep. I was messing

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a season ticket holder, but I also go to a few away games every season ..

I will NOT buy a ticket for the Derby away end as I am too old to want to stand up for 90 minutes, and the stewards (everywhere) are too cowardly to enforce the sitting down rule. I got a ticket for the Hull City away match behind the dugout (with no problem at all), and have done so at most of the away games I’ve attended.

However, Rotherham refused to accommodate me, as did Wolves last season, and yesterday has confirmed my decision to NEVER follow Derby at an away game by buying a ticket for the Derby supporters end. 

I suspect that I am not the only football fan (particularly amongst the over 50s) who has this problem, but the clubs are totally inflexible in their attitude, and seem to be incapable of listening to those, like myself, who want to enjoy the game, SITTING DOWN (which is what we have paid for), and without abusing the home supporters,  or singing ludicrous, peurile (and frequently abusive) songs. 

What would it take to arrange with every club that we visit, to designate an enclosure (at the side of a ground, not a ‘behind the goal’ terrace) where the older, quieter, supporter can enjoy the game in peace, without being in danger of having a flying seat thrown from behind, or having to stand for 90 minutes ! 

But no, the normal rules of civilised behaviour in society do not apply once through the turnstiles, or (in the case of the clubs themselves) a total inability to cater for a supporters needs holds sway. And then we have the example of a couple of our players and (amazingly) the manager yesterday. If I didn’t still retain the love of the game (but not what surrounds it) that I have had for over 50 years, then I would never attend another match ! 

Come on Mel Morris, crack the whip and restore some dignity to this club ! 

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

both managers were outside the box on many occasions, ref sought to make a name for himself, apply the rules consistently and there will be no probs

It wasn't for simply coming out of the technical area. It was for marching down the touchline to confront the linesman. I think he was making spectacle jestures.  

not that it bothers me tbh.

1 minute ago, Ram8 said:

I will NOT buy a ticket for the Derby away end as I am too old to want to stand up for 90 minutes, and the stewards (everywhere) are too cowardly to enforce the sitting down rule. I got a ticket for the Hull City away match behind the dugout (with no problem at all), and have done so at most of the away games I’ve attended.

However, Rotherham refused to accommodate me, as did Wolves last season, and yesterday has confirmed my decision to NEVER follow Derby at an away game by buying a ticket for the Derby supporters end. 

I suspect that I am not the only football fan (particularly amongst the over 50s) who has this problem, but the clubs are totally inflexible in their attitude, and seem to be incapable of listening to those, like myself, who want to enjoy the game, SITTING DOWN (which is what we have paid for), and without abusing the home supporters,  or singing ludicrous, peurile (and frequently abusive) songs. 

What would it take to arrange with every club that we visit, to designate an enclosure (at the side of a ground, not a ‘behind the goal’ terrace) where the older, quieter, supporter can enjoy the game in peace, without being in danger of having a flying seat thrown from behind, or having to stand for 90 minutes ! 

But no, the normal rules of civilised behaviour in society do not apply once through the turnstiles, or (in the case of the clubs themselves) a total inability to cater for a supporters needs holds sway. And then we have the example of a couple of our players and (amazingly) the manager yesterday. If I didn’t still retain the love of the game (but not what surrounds it) that I have had for over 50 years, then I would never attend another match ! 

This is also another reason to have safe standing. Only certain areas of the ground will have safe standing. For us it'll most likely be the south stand. Then anyone who wants to sit can go into the seated areas. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It wasn't for simply coming out of the technical area. It was for marching down the touchline to confront the linesman. I think he was making spectacle jestures.  

not that it bothers me tbh.

I didn’t see the incident, much like the lino who seemed to see nothing.?

7 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I do agree with a lot of what you said, but what do you expect them to do? If there is 3000 away fans for example who wont sit down?

Its difficult.

42 minutes ago, cannable said:

I mean, in fairness, it sounds like they need a good slap as opposed to a ban 

I dont condone violence but sort of get it, a good hiding might bring one or two down a peg or two. Then when they get home have their parents do it again and not get all 'oh my son couldnt do such a thing'

Its about discipline. Probably the sort that if they got a bollocking or detention at school had the parents marching down there demanding to know why their little angel was being punished.

8 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

What happens when an over 50 gets too drunk and misbehaves?

Maybe Fulham have the right idea, a neutral section? Anyone misbehaving in there gets a £1000 fine and a ban for life, enforceable by agreeing to the terms when buying a ticket.

I’m sure the people in that area would gladly point out any trouble makers to the stewards and have them taken out and down to the cells straight away.

4 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Each to their own Ram8. I'm over 50, well over, and go to about 15/20 away games a season and always buy a ticket for the away end because I enjoy standing for 90 minutes and singing.  If I want a quieter experience I wait until a home match and the East stand ?.

If you buy a ticket for the away end online it usually offers some choice of seating (front, middle and back); you can always ring up and speak to someone in the ticket office who are usually pretty helpful in my experience and ask for a seat at the side or front which will mostly allow you to sit and be away from the numpties - not foolproof but usually pretty good.  But if you want a seat away from every Derby fan then just get yourself a customer number for all the clubs you're likely to want to go to - you can generally do it online - and then buy a ticket for a quieter area of the ground.

There aren't too many songs from any club ever without a degree of ludicrousness - are we really the greatest team the world has ever seen? - and you don't have to sing them or indeed listen to them

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

This is also another reason to have safe standing. Only certain areas of the ground will have safe standing. For us it'll most likely be the south stand. Then anyone who wants to sit can go into the seated areas. 

How do you work out exactly how many want to stand or sit. Safe standing will only cater for a small percentage of those  who want to stand. The problem with the south stand is, it was made cheap. Lots go for financial reasons and not to stand and sing. It should be over 16’s and considerably dearer than the north stand. Thus families will migrate to there. With respect to the previous poster who wants to sit away. Rows A-F ( just a guess) should be sitting and strongly enforced and the rest anything goes. ( or a stand to the side) sitting only. This won’t happen though as away teams will have to employ more staff to police it. I do have a problem with his/her  language dilemma however. There is no more bad language than 40 years ago. I suspect he/she are just less tolerant of it. Doesn’t make it acceptable of course but impossible to rid the game of. In fact I’m not sure I would want the game turned into an all sitting no swearing spectacle. I use the word spectacle loosely 

The problem is that Derby cannot sell 'seating' tickets for away games as they are still technically all seating.

After a long campaign from my hubby they now do sell 'front' 'middle' or 'back' if you ask - at least where the stand is deep enough.

I don't know how many think to select these though.

Yesterday we were on Row F - so six rows from front. There were a group of four lads in Row B who stood the whole match, forcing us to stand too. We don't mind as we're used to it but others were complaining a bit further back. Not a lot we could do about it.

PS Even I was swearing yesterday at the referee! ?

15 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Prior to the all seater stadiums, clubs used to sell terrace tickets and stand tickets where the seats were. Now we're all in together.

i'd agree with you that its not just the extreme behaviour thats the issue, its the general yobbishness. Every time i go away i see behaviour that makes me cringe, whether its the yobs on the train shouting about smelling curries and p-kis as we approach Leicester despite the fact that there's a young asian girl just a few seats away. Or the pished up yobs shoving and barging their way through the crowd because they have to go to empty their bladders every 20 minutes. Or the numpties who harangue and verbally abuse our own players straight from the off. Or the constant stream of foul and abusive language. Its not the fact that they stink of beer, fags and disgusting farts. Or the way they seem to want to make an exhibition of their loutishness. Or the beer flinging, or the abuse aimed at anyone who so much as looks at them. Or the fact that when you find your seat there's already some dckhead standing there as if its his. its everything. Its the combination. Its the sum total of their general dickheadedness that is so boring and tedious. To watch Derby play away, you have to be prepared to put up with all of this, as if thats what being a real fan is all about. 

The fact that they bait the rotherham locals with "paedo" chants, or smash up some seats which they then fling into their own fans is not even a surprise. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

The problem is that Derby cannot sell 'seating' tickets for away games as they are still technically all seating.

After a long campaign from my hubby they now do sell 'front' 'middle' or 'back' if you ask - at least where the stand is deep enough.

I don't know how many think to select these though.

Yesterday we were on Row F - so six rows from front. There were a group of four lads in Row B who stood the whole match, forcing us to stand too. We don't mind as we're used to it but others were complaining a bit further back. Not a lot we could do about it.

PS Even I was swearing yesterday at the referee! ?

Well done your hubby Angieram. The online ticket system forces you to make a seat location choice before you buy the ticket (though it doesn't guarantee you'll get your choice, which I guess they have to say)

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Prior to the all seater stadiums, clubs used to sell terrace tickets and stand tickets where the seats were. Now we're all in together.

i'd agree with you that its not just the extreme behaviour thats the issue, its the general yobbishness. Every time i go away i see behaviour that makes me cringe, whether its the yobs on the train shouting about smelling curries and p-kis as we approach Leicester despite the fact that there's a young asian girl just a few seats away. Or the pished up yobs shoving and barging their way through the crowd because they have to go to empty their bladders every 20 minutes. Or the numpties who harangue and verbally abuse our own players straight from the off. Or the constant stream of foul and abusive language. Its not the fact that they stink of beer, fags and disgusting farts. Or the way they seem to want to make an exhibition of their loutishness. Or the beer flinging, or the abuse aimed at anyone who so much as looks at them. Or the fact that when you find your seat there's already some dckhead standing there as if its his. its everything. Its the combination. Its the sum total of their general dickheadedness that is so boring and tedious. To watch Derby play away, you have to be prepared to put up with all of this, as if thats what being a real fan is all about. 

The fact that they bait the rotherham locals with "paedo" chants, or smash up some seats which they then fling into their own fans is not even a surprise. 

All of which is true RamNut but if I go back to my teens and football watching then, I could add fighting, window breaking, charging through streets terrifying shoppers and innocent passers by, hurling racist abuse down from the terraces etc etc

Ah, the good old days.  It may be bad sometimes following Derby away, but it's not as bad as it was at times 45 years ago

Just now, ilkleyram said:

All of which is true RamNut but if I go back to my teens and football watching then, I could add fighting, window breaking, charging through streets terrifying shoppers and innocent passers by, hurling racist abuse down from the terraces etc etc

Ah, the good old days.  It may be bad sometimes following Derby away, but it's not as bad as it was at times 45 years ago

You are right. The concern for me is its often the younger generation who are still doing it.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You are right. The concern for me is its often the younger generation who are still doing it.

It was the younger generation 45 years ago Paul - that generation is now me and others and we've grown up a bit.  I'm not so sure it would be a good idea for me to run through streets any more (even if I could).  Perhaps younger generations always push social boundaries and older generations try to rein them in a bit.  I don't know, you're only young, and old, once.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

The amount of alchohol consumed and the general dickheadedness is the cause of the behaviour.

Nothing to do with a tackle on the half way line.

Correct I witnessed the tackle and had Lawrence been close enough to me I may have swat my seat at him but I certainly didn’t want to throw it at anyone else. I actually sat in it for most of the game.

Archived