v Hull City (A) Match Thread

Derby blood

20 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Feck it, give Bird a go alongside Mount with Huddlestone behind them, or even Sibley if Frank is feeling adventurous. Plenty of academy players impressed during pre season and those who've had a chance in competitive games have continued that theme, so I don't think there would be much harm in giving one of those two a shot there

? if you’re good enough you’re old enough!!!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better to be lucky than good...we nearly blew that in the second half but left with the Derby boys making all the noise. Hull clearly in a state of chaos, no atmosphere and little confidence. Would have been a waste to have not won, but it was almost a very disappointing day.

As it was, the substitutions made a real difference - Lawrence made a couple of great runs and challenges and then Mason B came on with real determination to make something happen.

No link up between Wisdom and Flo Jo really hindered us, and looking forward to Bogle’s return. Some moments of class from Mount and jozefzoon - some moments of chaos in defence despite Tomori’s first half efforts.

However, nice feeling at the end as the whole team came over and celebrated in front of the Derby fans, and Frankie again started a very bouncy bounce. 

Bogle, Davies and Evans will strengthen the squad when they’re fit - it’s feeling good

Thought both wisdom and Malone's positioning was awful today,  the amount of times Malone was caught out not goal side of his man was Sunday league stuff looked like he was carrying an injury, anyway maybe it's just me Nicholson in the DET gives him a 6/10.Thought Mount was superb today , back four need to be unchanged when possible imo. 

Just back from a good result though average performance. A draw might have been fair but life and footie ain't.

Good following of Rams fans in a stadium devoid of atmosphere until they scored in the second half. I thought we started brightly and well but fell away after scoring and then started the second half reasonably well before fading only to rally and give it a good go over the last 10 minutes and scored.

Flojo was good and so was Mount. A word though for three other players - Scott Carson made what looked from the far end to have been a fantastic save low down to his right in the second half when if they had gone 2-1 up I doubt we would have come back. A match winning save as it turned out. And the other Mason, Bennett, who by not giving up on the ball just after he came on won it back and drove it across for Flojo to score. He got a Frankie hug at the end. And Bradley. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but on a very warm day he was everywhere harrying, heading and closing down in a midfield that still doesn't look solid enough. If Frankie can get that bit right - attacking and defending - then we really will be going places.

And a final word for the whole team, squad, backroom staff and all.  The level of togetherness looks from the seats to be fantastic with everyone supporting everyone else, in the team and not.  Hard to get that in a short space of time and it helps us to get through games like today when, in truth, we didn't really deserve the win.

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Just got back excellent 3 Pts 

Carson - ok

wisdom - decent defensively but had lots of the ball and wasn’t willing to forward pass it

keogh - trying to do everything again 

tomori - his passing was poor today giving the ball away a lot

malone - to me everything he did was fairly dreadful, out of position a lot allowing crosses and not challenging on headers 

johnson - tries his best 

Bryson - covered miles but mainly blocking the passes 

mount - was a threat in forward positions 

jo flo- good goal but more important he can control the ball and is a real threat if given good ball

waghorn - scored a pen not a lot more 

nugent - neeeds his shots on target but again we need to hold the ball up 

subs - Lawrence- did ok 

Forsyth- very unlucky to be dropped and did what you need to do at left back when he came on 

Bennett - strength power and direct - again crosses for us to win away again - nice one 

we were lucky to win and somebody needs to hold the ball up somewhere as we gave it away enough for 5 games 

So all in all , with one or two exceptions, we are pretty rubbish ? 

Good day out in the sunshine, very good first half and should have killed the game off with a 2 nd. After the break we got sloppy, they got better. You can see why they needed to sign Chris on deadline day. Loved the Josefzoon song at the end. Onwards and upwards, although we will need to play better than this against decent opponents to take 3 points 

29 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

Better to be lucky than good...we nearly blew that in the second half but left with the Derby boys making all the noise. Hull clearly in a state of chaos, no atmosphere and little confidence. Would have been a waste to have not won, but it was almost a very disappointing day.

As it was, the substitutions made a real difference - Lawrence made a couple of great runs and challenges and then Mason B came on with real determination to make something happen.

No link up between Wisdom and Flo Jo really hindered us, and looking forward to Bogle’s return. Some moments of class from Mount and jozefzoon - some moments of chaos in defence despite Tomori’s first half efforts.

However, nice feeling at the end as the whole team came over and celebrated in front of the Derby fans, and Frankie again started a very bouncy bounce. 

Bogle, Davies and Evans will strengthen the squad when they’re fit - it’s feeling good

A fit Huddlestone will also make a difference I think.

40 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Just got back excellent 3 Pts 

Carson - ok

wisdom - decent defensively but had lots of the ball and wasn’t willing to forward pass it

keogh - trying to do everything again 

tomori - his passing was poor today giving the ball away a lot

malone - to me everything he did was fairly dreadful, out of position a lot allowing crosses and not challenging on headers 

johnson - tries his best 

Bryson - covered miles but mainly blocking the passes 

mount - was a threat in forward positions 

jo flo- good goal but more important he can control the ball and is a real threat if given good ball

waghorn - scored a pen not a lot more 

nugent - neeeds his shots on target but again we need to hold the ball up 

subs - Lawrence- did ok 

Forsyth- very unlucky to be dropped and did what you need to do at left back when he came on 

Bennett - strength power and direct - again crosses for us to win away again - nice one 

we were lucky to win and somebody needs to hold the ball up somewhere as we gave it away enough for 5 games 

Not a ringing endorsement. Malone should be better for a player who was in the prem last year.  Tomori looked good going forward in the games I have seen ... I think we need to play better. But a win is a win. 

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

So all in all , with one or two exceptions, we are pretty rubbish ? 

We weren’t good - a Huddlestone and Davies back will make us a lot stronger 

31 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not a ringing endorsement. Malone should be better for a player who was in the prem last year.  Tomori looked good going forward in the games I have seen ... I think we need to play better. But a win is a win. 

Malone was very worrisome but I don’t think we paid £3 million for his defending which was tosh which made tomori make more mistakes as well 

Can’t believe what an amazing start to the season we’ve had. After 6 games we’re 4th, 2 pts off top and had our best start for 7 years! And the best of it is, we haven’t played well for longer than 45 mins, and we still don’t know our best team.

We are still massively in transition and have been helped in that 4 of our wins have come against teams in the bottom 6. But there is so much more to come from this team.

I’m as guilty as anyone of being caught up in the hype surrounding Frank and our transfer business but there has been a nagging doubt in my mind about what if it goes drastically wrong and we’re in a relegation battle. The start of the season has showed me that’s not going to happen. Worst case this season could still be mid table mediocrity but this guy given time will be the real deal and I’m convinced that within his 3 year contract he’ll take us back to the promised land!

Best case - it could even happen this season. 

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We weren’t good - a Huddlestone and Davies back will make us a lot stronger 

Malone was very worrisome but I don’t think we paid £3 million for his defending which was tosh which made tomori make more mistakes as well 

What did we spend the £3m for him then? A winger? Flojo and Lawrence would be ahead?

To Hull and (not yet) back  - Part 2

We came back up to Yorkshire yesterday, enjoying a little late season sunshine and of course another trip to the KCOM stadium.

Obviously a lot more of us there today - initially in fine voice. Optimism was high.

After a bright start from Hull we started to get into our stride and the disappointment in not getting Waghorn's penalty shout was short-lived as Nugent claimed his minutes later. I'm just a bit annoyed he let Waghorn take it for him  as he cost me two points in @mozza 's prediction league!

This is the point of the game we should have gone on and taken control, but we all know football never works as predicted.

I think there were a combination of factors:

- a hot summer afternoon ( although I am told that meteorologically speaking it is now Autumn) where more of our team had played Tuesday evening than theirs

- astute management by Adkins, their players hassled us and gave us no space, something we had bucketloads of on Tuesday

- a bit too much of a gung-ho  attitude from our Frankie in the team selection. Malone, for me, is better going forward but much less reliable defensively than Forsyth, by the time he realised it he had to waste a substitution putting it right.

- a midfield that doesn't quite gel - I would eventually like to see Huddlestone rather than Bryson in there to allow Johnson to play further forward. 

Given all those factors I thought we kept going very well, pity Nugent missed his chance early second half as I think that would have been game over. However, even though we were frail defensively we kept trying to attack, Bennett came on and the rest is just another well-written chapter in the FL story. There's something about the guy that the players love and they want to win for him so much. I loved the way he bear-hugged Mason at the end of the game! He's almost still like a fan himself in his behaviour and that's what endears him to us. 

Josefzoon was my MOTM, might have picked Tomori first half but he got tired second half, as did Mount. The international break has come just right for us - give some of the young and not so young players a bit of a break ( or at least a change of scenery) and we go again.

Sorry for the sketchy report @BurtonRam7 but I am getting ready to go out again. There were loads of Leeds fans in the pub last night - hope they are still there when we walk in wearing our Derby shirts!

Just got back from the game,  I thought we played well first half with waghorn, mount and jozefoon looking lively but we just needed that second goal to kill it off, the midfield played poorly second half especially Bryson and Johnson who never showed for the ball and were generally pretty poor and uncreative on the ball. Forsyth coming on helped steady the ship as Malone was good first half but second half he got done far too many times as he's probably not match fit yet. Bennet made a great impact off the bench, and it was fitting that our best player today  jozefoon stepped up with the winner.  Mount and tomori were also good for us today, and nugent wasn't clinical but put in 110% effort as he always does and got in some good positions. We weren't at our best today but a sign of a good team is a team that can win games when not at our best and we have snatched late winners in these types of away games twice already this season, once davies and Huddlestone come back in the team with Keogh and Bryson  making way for them , with maybe marriot starting upfront  we will be a real force and I can see this game giving us the confidence to go on one of our McLaren style long win streaks

Archived