Duane Holmes

JoeDerby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Duracell said:

How do you say his first name?

Usually when you ask those questions you have some kind of Morecombe and Wise esq. joke lined up but I can't quite work this one out.

It's a re-spelling of Dwayne based on the Southern US accent (so, 'Duh-Wain', but 'Dwayne' is fine). Pretty common in American culture to just spell names however the hell you want to, especially if a local accent has lead to a pronunciation of the name that leans away from the spelling. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Usually when you ask those questions you have some kind of Morecombe and Wise esq. joke lined up but I can't quite work this one out.

It's a re-spelling of Dwayne based on the Southern US accent (so, 'Duh-Wain', but 'Dwayne' is fine). Pretty common in American culture to just spell names however the hell you want to, especially if a local accent has lead to a pronunciation of the name that leans away from the spelling. 

Well that wasn’t very funny...

Just now, Duracell said:

Well that wasn’t very funny...

If there's one thing I pride myself on, it's being notably unfunny.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

How do you say his first name?

In England it’s pronounced Duane. In The northern and Central American states it’s pronounced Duane, however southern states say Duane. Therefore I would go with Duane. Good job you checked, an American mate of mine called Duane, hates it if you call him Duane. Hope this helps 

35 minutes ago, Doodle said:

In England it’s pronounced Duane. In The northern and Central American states it’s pronounced Duane, however southern states say Duane. Therefore I would go with Duane. Good job you checked, an American mate of mine called Duane, hates it if you call him Duane. Hope this helps 

Doodle, you are a linguistic genius. ?

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Is Holmes fit but just not getting on the bench?

It must be hard for the lad if he is fit.

I guess he’s still young enough to wait but it must be strange going from the teams most important player at Scunthorpe to not getting on the bench.

He played for the under 23s against PSG on Friday night. 

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

Is Holmes fit but just not getting on the bench?

It must be hard for the lad if he is fit.

I guess he’s still young enough to wait but it must be strange going from the teams most important player at Scunthorpe to not getting on the bench.

I think he must have known this when he came here-  he could have gone to Rotherham and got a lot more game time.  Feel a bit more sorry for Waghorn and Malone.   I assume they came here anticipating regular games .   I did say at the time though I didn't know why we brought in Waghorn at such a high cost as he didn't seem necessary.

Archived