Chris Martin - Player Discussion Thread.

'Rambe33

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

I have never, in over 60 years of watching football, observed a more disgusting treatment of a professional footballer

What happened? Did I miss something?

As far as I remember, we had 2 managers that didn't think Martin suited their team so they let him go out on loan.

If you've not seen much of that over the last 60 years you haven't been paying attention.

And why on earth should be showing FL clips of what CM has done in the past? It's irrelevant. I would much prefer FL to be watching what the players do on the training ground and how that fits in with what he wants to achieve.

Do you think FL should have been shown clips of Blackman at his best before he was sent out on loan?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As far as I remember, we had 2 managers that didn't think Martin suited their team so they let him go out on loan.

If you've not seen much of that over the last 60 years you haven't been paying attention.

And why on earth should be showing FL clips of what CM has done in the past? It's irrelevant. I would much prefer FL to be watching what the players do on the training ground and how that fits in with what he wants to achieve.

Do you think FL should have been shown clips of Blackman at his best before he was sent out on loan?

The above is true but harsh. I think ram8 has a point. Pearson starting the ball rolling with this and never really had a style of play. I think it’s just the loaning of him that is unfair and as long as he’s on our books ‘some’ keep clinging onto the past. As much as I like him, he needs a clean break (sold) at the next window I think for everyone’s sake. 

12 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

As much as I like him, he needs a clean break (sold) at the next window I think for everyone’s sake. 

See but those of us who rate him will ask, but who will FL buy instead? How much will that cost? Will they be better?

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would it not be a good idea to show the manager every player’s best bits to show the system and conditions in which they flourished in? And worst bits to show what they can’t do.

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

Would it not be a good idea to show the manager every player’s best bits to show the system and conditions in which they flourished in? And worst bits to show what they can’t do.

Not in my opinion. I'd expect a manager to choose his system and get players to fit it. Isn't that what the training ground is for?

Absolutely any player can provide a highlights reel (see Abdoul Camara) but all that really matters is what they are going to do in the future, not what they have done in the past.

2 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Tuffluff said (quoting the ‘Chris Martin is rubbish’ contingent)  :-     “He doesn’t press, lazy, falls down, I heard he doesnt work on faults or whatever else I can shake at him” brigade is the most poorly argued, and lacking of any basis  i think I’ve come across on here.”

There are three ways of looking at the Chris Martin situation :- 

a) .. There is the ‘Martin is rubbish’ brigade, who know nothing about football, and therefore cannot appreciate the qualities he possesses (goalscorer, hold up player, brings midfield into play with clever touches and distribution, winner of free kicks in dangerous areas). None of our other No. 9 options have more than 2 of these qualities in their locker ! 

b) .. Some can appreciate his past contribution, but believe that he no longer has the ability to produce the level of football required due to injury or spending too long in the ‘wilderness’ imposed upon him by Pearson and Rowett. 

c) .. Whereas I  believe (as do a few others) that if his fitness level can be restored, then he can be just as potent a force as he was 3 seasons ago, as intelligent footballers don’t lose that mental skill and perception that puts them ahead of the ‘journeyman’, the ‘water carrier’ that Rowett valued so much in his disastrous tenure as manager. 

Personally, if I were Chris Martin, I would approach the legal department at the F. A. with a case of ‘career destruction’ or whatever the equivalent legal jargon is for the disgraceful treatment and disrespect he received from Nigel Pearson and Gary Rowett, which effectively ruined his career and consigned him to unsuitable loan spells and ‘bit part’ cameos for the last 10 minutes of matches under Rowett. 

I have never, in over 60 years of watching football, observed a more disgusting treatment of a professional footballer by 2 (so called) top level managers, and I would love to see Pearson and Rowett held to account for their wilful persecution of a quality footballer, in the pursuit of their negative and naive vision of ‘anti - entertainment drudgery football’ !

So, what should happen now ? 

Someone at the club should make sure that Frank Lampard sees footage of CM at his best, and appreciates what he can still contribute to his chosen 4-3-3 formation. 

Will it happen? I doubt it, and if not, the chance of eradicating one of the darkest stains in the history of this great club will have been lost forever.

In which case all that remains is to wish CM all the best in what remains of his future career elsewhere, and to thank him for some of the best memories of watching Derby County under a manager (Steve McLaren) who appreciated his qualities and incorporated his skills into a team that produced some wonderful football.

What a complete load of dross

It was easier to not accidentally open this and read the latest post when it was hidden away in the Transfer section @Duracell !

Once again, following the rules proves to be a negative.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not in my opinion. I'd expect a manager to choose his system and get players to fit it. Isn't that what the training ground is for?

Absolutely any player can provide a highlights reel (see Abdoul Camara) but all that really matters is what they are going to do in the future, not what they have done in the past.

You never know though… show Pearson a few clips and he might try and use Bryson as a free-running midfielder as opposed to the disaster he was in holding mid…

Lampard stated that coming in he had preconceived ideas of players, watched every game from last season and made his mind up in training but you never know, watching players in different systems could open his mind up to how they might fit… perhaps ignoring Butterfield’s lack of dynamism and using him as one of the two rotating midfielders, for example.

3 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

It's past tense for a long time now though.

How long do you want to live in the past?

Oh okay lets blame systems, managers, anything else ………………. or heaven forbid he is past his prime

Okay then, explain how he would fit into Nigel Pearson’s system.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Okay then, explain how he would fit into Nigel Pearson’s system.

If you bothered to actually read my posts on CM you wouldn't need to ask.

I have heard more excuse for why he has not performed for sooo long, when will some people perhaps consider an alternative to it's not his fault, systems, managers … etc

3 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

If you bothered to actually read my posts on CM you wouldn't need to ask.

I have heard more excuse for why he has not performed for sooo long, when will some people perhaps consider an alternative to it's not his fault, systems, managers … etc

Your entire opinion on him based off of rumours (FACT: he’s always back early for pre-season) and the fact he doesn’t run a lot. You’re allowing his body language the fact he doesn’t show PASHUN to cloud context in your mind.

No doubt if you were German you’d blame Ozil for the World Cup capitulation. 

Just now, cannable said:

Your entire opinion on him based off of rumours (FACT: he’s always back early for pre-season) and the fact he doesn’t run a lot. You’re allowing his body language the fact he doesn’t show PASHUN to cloud context in your mind.

No doubt if you were German you’d blame Ozil for the World Cup capitulation. 

That's you're opinion, not based on fact.

Archived